Sunday 29 April 2012

Weekend Breakfast 8 - Orange French Toast

My day began before 7am when I woke to find Angus's face inches from mine. He was standing there, clutching his bunny, saying "My got out of bed Mummy!" and looking ever so pleased with himself. I'm still amazed at how small people can go from sound asleep to wide awake in seconds. I needed a bit more help this morning so I made Orange French Toast from Nigella Express. I fancied something springlike and zingy but still comforting and this was both. Also, I had all the ingredients in the fridge. You can find the full recipe here on Nigella's website, but I will summarise it. In fact, it is so easy, you don't really need a recipe.


You will need eggs, oranges, milk, bread, marmalade, sugar and butter. All store cupboard staples. You could probably manage without an orange and use some orange juice but the zest really does add flavour.

Mix together the eggs, milk and orange zest and soak the bread in it for a couple of minutes on each side.


Bring the orange juice, sugar and marmalade to the boil and simmer for a few minutes until you have a runny syrup. 


Fry the bread in a little butter for a couple of minutes on each side until golden. Pour the orange syrup into a jug ready to be poured over the french toast when you are ready to eat.


I think that most of my recent posts have been food related. I am sorry - it is the rain! It just makes me want to cook and eat and hide in the kitchen. I have also been busy trying to complete some sewing projects - hopefully I will have some Actual Finished Projects to show you soon. 


The weather is so cold and wet and windy here today, a day to hide indoors. John is working so I will take the children to a nearby soft play centre and let them run around on slides and climbing frames and wear themselves out. Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

12 comments:

  1. oooh yummy .... again!!! rain here too but I have promised not to moan about it until the end of the month - does this count as a 'silent' moan??! I have a grumpy/tired teenager this morning - could we swap?
    and ... I made a granny square last night, woohoo ...
    Have a lovely Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your grumpy tired teenager sleep in? If so, yes, will gladly swap!! Well done on your granny square - I'm looking forward to seeing what you make. xx

      Delete
  2. You should take pictures for magazines! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are being kind. I clearly have no idea what I am doing! Always in too much of a hurry to eat! xx

      Delete
    2. Yes you're right Abi, she should be a food stylist!

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! I love anything made with oranges and french toast is always a favorite! I'll be making this recipe next weekend for sure! Hope the weather clears up and warms up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French toast is now one of my favourite breakfasts. I hope the weather warms up too. It is May on Tuesday and today I wore my ski jacket it was so cold! x

      Delete
  4. YUM! I love making a 'proper' breakfast at the weekend and I have a sneaking suspicion this may feature in next Sunday's menu!
    Rain? Bleurgh. Fed. Up. Of. It.
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to. Enough rain! Enough cooped up children and soggy umbrellas! x

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous food and photos. I spy that jug! Where is it from? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I bought the jug years ago from a company called thefrenchhouse.net which sells gorgeous french homewares...such a lovely website, all very tempting! x

      Delete
  6. Oh I must add this to my list of things to make

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.