Wednesday 18 April 2012

Madeleines



I can't really think about madeleines without thinking about Marcel Proust, whose bite of this small cake provokes a vivid childhood memory, the lengthy examination of which lasts for seven volumes of A La Recherche Du Temps PerduNow he really was a navel gazer. He would have been an excellent blogger. 

"[My mother] sent out for one of those short, plump little cakes called "petites madeleines", which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted scallop of a pilgrims shell...I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate than a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place."
Proust, M, Swann's Way,  Penguin 1957, pp 55-56.


I did not get on with Proust. I read Swann's Way, the first in the series, when I was an undergraduate, and found it rather like wading through treacle. It was not for me. One professor told me that Proust is "the Everest of literaure" which I think he thought was a good thing. Well, I got halfway to base camp before giving up and going home for a cup of tea and a murder mystery. How I passed that semester I will never know.




The recipe is from my current recipe book obsession. I promise I will put it down now and cook from another book. Madeleines are basically small light, buttery sponge cakes baked in a shell shaped tin and the recipe can be found here on the BBC website.




I overfilled the tin when I made the first batch and they came out looking like this:




so I was careful to put half as much in for the second batch, barely a small tablespoon. I wanted them to have their pretty shell shape, and the second lot came out looking like the ones in the book. They are very, very delicious. I have eaten four. Possibly five. The sharp, moist bite of raspberry and lemon curd in the middle is wonderful with the buttery sponge. I baked them first thing in the morning and the house smelt wonderful all day. Perfect to cheer one up on a cold and wet Wednesday morning!


16 comments:

  1. They look delicious and you have made two batches of cake before i think we were up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the school run for you - get's you up and out early!

      Delete
  2. I could certainly eat a couple of those with a nice cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex - I did eat many of those with many cups of tea, throughout the day. Possibly too many.

      Delete
  3. i didn't know madeleines had lemon curd?? i'm going to give these a try, love buttery cookies. although i don't have the shell pan... hmmm.... wonder if i could get away with a muffin tin? lol

    swann's way is infinitely improved with age on one's side. i think anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they usually do, I think it's just this recipe. I may give Proust another ten years and have another go! x

      Delete
  4. yum yum yum! I must remember NOT to read your blog when I'm feeling peckish :-)There has been so much online about Rachel Khoo that I've asked my mum-in-law to bring me back a copy from the UK. Can't wait! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think there is a lot of blog love for her! Her book is fab, hope you like it. x

      Delete
  5. They look delicious....raspberry and lemon are awesome together! And I bet your home did smell yummy all day! Stay dry...it's raining where I live today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still raining today! Better do some more baking to cheer myself up. x

      Delete
  6. This looks like a delicious variation of Madeleines. I've always found them a bit plain but I adore lemon curd so I bet they were yum! My sister-in-law bought us some Madeleine tins and although she used them when she came to stay, I've not actually used them yet. Best get baking! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish i'd know you had madeleine tins before I bought mine...although, thinking about it, with 250 miles between us it would be tricky to pop over and borrow them! :-( Bake some, they are very nice. xx

      Delete
  7. filled with a raspberry and lemon curd! perfection...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the raspberry and lemon curd was the best bit! x

      Delete
  8. I've never got on with Proust either, but I do get on rather well with madelines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny - i think you've just summed up my entire post rather beautifully! Gillian x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.