Sunday 1 April 2012

Weekend Breakfast 4 - Huevos Rancheros


Today we ate Huevos Rancheros for breakfast. Suggested, prepared and cooked for me by John. It was completely, totally, wonderfully delicious. It was filling, but I did not feel bloated after eating it. It felt like quite a healthy breakfast  (if you forget the butter the vegetables were cooked in) and I liked the balance of protein to carbohydrate. Bread and bready things usually feature quite heavily in our breakfasts so this made a nice change.

John used the recipe from Rachel Allen's Easy Meals. (The book was a freebie and we have used it often - very good value!) You fry some red onions, red peppers and garlic together in some butter then add chopped tomatoes and cayenne pepper and leave it to cook for a while. Crack in the eggs, leave them to cook in the tomato sauce, then sprinkle cheese on top so that it melts. Easy! But not quick - John was pottering at the stove for half an hour while I lazed around in my dressing gown drinking tea.


I ate mine with sliced avocado and a tortilla. Like so many breakfasts, they would make equally delicious lunches or suppers. 


19 comments:

  1. We make a version of Huevos Rancheros from the Good Food magazine but ours is more of a supper. You add a tin of kidney beans and bake in the oven until the egg sets. It's a great way of getting my children to eat something that if I called it veggie chilli they'd turn their noses up!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really good - thanks for the tip. Strangely, chilli is one meal my incredibly fussy children will tuck in to without moaning! Gillian x

      Delete
  2. Oooh this looks yummy! Must drop a few hints! Although I rarely have time to eat a leisurely breakfast on Sundays. But I think you're right - this would make a fantastic lunch dish. Am going to try it! Glad the weekend breakfast series is going again - I really like reading these! Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I am enjoying it enormously. It makes me try out new recipes, always fun! Gillian

      Delete
  3. Looks so yummy and healthy too! Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had a busy and tiring weekend but still lovely. I hope you have too. Gillian x

      Delete
  4. I was hungry already, now I'm starving!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could've eaten two portions. I only didn't because the pan was empty! x

      Delete
  5. Oh my, that looks delicious, and easy enough for even me to try (I'm a terrible cook)! PS I have the same cutlery as you, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh that looks delicious! I love filling meals that you don't feel guilty about eating x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that looks delicious! I love eating filling meals that you don't feel guilty about afterwards x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...except the avocado. But apparently that is super high in vitamin C or something, so it's ok! x

      Delete
  8. yum! this is one of my all-time favorite breakfasts! i like to add some beans to mine for an extra protein punch. and i would be naughty and add sour cream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sour cream! Why didn't I think of that? Next time...

      Delete
  9. Those look fantastic!! Love this idea! Glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look and sound amazing. Will most certainly be trying this out soon.

    ... and butter IS good for you. Your body needs that good healthy fat!!
    http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/why-butter-is-better

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I am totally with you on the butter thing! I am always telling my Mum to stop using those revolting olive spreads or margarine. They are full of water and chemicals. And butter just tastes SO good... Gillian x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.