Sunday 15 April 2012

Weekend Breakfast 6 - Croque Madam Muffins


Another recipe from my new favourite recipe book - Croque Madam muffins. Very, very tasty. And quite possibly fattening.


First you make a Mornay (cheese) sauce. Then, cut the crusts of slices of white bread and roll them flat with a rolling pin - I found this strangely satisfying. Brush both sides of the bread with melted butter then gently push into a muffin tin. Add some sliced ham, a small egg, then two tablespoons of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle on some grated cheese and pepper, then bake in a hot-ish oven for around 15 minutes. 


The butter coated white bread tastes just like fried bread, crunchy and greasy at the same time in the best possible way. All the flavours - ham, egg, cheese - all good. Unfortunately there is no money shot of the runny egg yolk as the egg was softly set. I left these in the tin for five minutes to cool slightly as I thought they would be tricky to prise out, and the egg carried on cooking. Next time I will reduce the cooking time by a couple of minutes.


Have a great Sunday everyone. 

12 comments:

  1. Yum! Can i order these for my next stay?! ;) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course! Ad we'll dump the kids with the men and go yarn shopping too.. xx

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering!! How did you get on with the crochet course? Is it as addictive as everyone says? Can't wait to see your first 'ta dah'.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful, thanks, i loved it. Made my first granny square! But I mustn't start another work in progress until i finish some of the other ongoing ones! x

      Delete
  3. yummy - always on the look out for egg ideas and those look delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were lush. All I've done is eat this weekend! Eat and crochet!x

      Delete
  4. You have cooked up a storm this weekend! These look lovely, will be giving them a go - maybe next weekend as I'm back to work tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo...I hate that Sunday night feeling. I still get it even though I'm not working.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Indeed! It was back to muesli this morning though...

      Delete
  6. They look delicious! I think I will be making these very soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.