Tuesday 3 April 2012

Popina Easter Egg Biscuits


Yesterday we made Easter Egg Biscuits from The Popina Book of Baking by Isidora Popovic. It's a gem of a book, particularly for it's sweet and savoury tart recipes, which are simply fantastic (and all vegetarian too, incidentally). The book was a Christmas present from my very good friend Abigail - you can see her rather fabulous Popina nectarine and summer berry tart here

These biscuits have become a bit of an Easter tradition now, as they are so easy to make and, well, egg shaped. So easy in fact, that you can let small people "help", answer the phone, do the vacuuming and resolve  tantrums all at the same time and still not mess up the recipe.


They are just a plain biscuit recipe, with the addition of cocoa and honey. They are so good. The honey gives them a musky sweetness and the cocoa is not overpowering. The white chocolate icing goes particularly well with the cranberries. I just used pistachios on mine and left the other nuts, but you could use whatever you had in the cupboard. I love the contrast of the red and green and white on top of the biscuits. It did occur to me that these are very Christmassy colours and you could do these same biscuits with Christmas cookie cutters for a festive themed biscuit.


17 comments:

  1. Yum-ee! I might make these for me as there's no way Sam would eat any biscuit without blue icing :) tu parle francais tres bien mon amie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! (although i really don't...) My kids refused to eat these due to the healthy-looking nature of the topping.

      Delete
  2. Your biscuits look delicious; I can see why they've become an Easter tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow they look yummy and really pretty too - perfect for an Easter tea x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of these ~ the mixture of honey and cocoa really appeals. Your biscuits do look very yummy too :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely way to spend a Tuesday! I love the biscuits - they look delicious. i think they would make a super biscuit for Christmas too. I am so pleased you changed your profile picture, it's lovely to see you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love biscuits and so do my husband and daughter! I need to try this yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delicious. Will put on the list for next week. We loved the jam doughnut muffins and I linked to you in my post about them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the lovely comments! They are tasty. If i could share one with each of you I would :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh they look so good. i love cranberries. what a lovely easter biscuit. i make a brownie slice with cranberries and pistachios - it gives it a little more texture and flavour variety. thanks for sharing this. xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That brownie slice sounds delicious...I need to look into that! xx

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, I think these look fab, just fancy one now with a cuppa.
    Happy Easter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty, they do go well with a cuppa! Happy Easter to you too! xx

      Delete
  11. So glad you enjoy the book - I haven't tried these but they look the business!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you via Under The Tulip Tree and I am loving your photos! I make a similar cookie/biscuit to this one with dried fruit and nuts too. Hope you have a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, good to meet you. You have great Easter too. :-) Gillian x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.