Monday 30 April 2012

Our Favourite Bookshop

I took this photo a few weeks ago, back when we last saw that thing in the sky called the sun.

Yesterday we visited a nearby bookshop a few miles away in the centre of Bradford. Bradford is a city that is so often in the news for all the wrong reasons - racial tension, riots, economic woes - but it has such a rich heritage of wool, mills and textiles that is often forgotten, as well as some truly beautiful architecture.

Bradford Wool Exchange is a gem. It must be one of the most striking buildings in the city.  How many bookshops have a ceiling like this?


It recently won a place on The Independent's list of The 50 Best BookshopsThe polished marble columns are all numbered from when the building was full of wool traders going about their business.


The building has a coffee shop on a mezzanine level, which provides an excellent place to sit and look down over the shop and do some people watching.


I love these arches. They are so beautiful.


We love this shop. We often go over on a Sunday afternoon when it is very quiet and have a coffee and browse. We went yesterday, in fact, to escape the freezing rain and enjoy hot chocolate.


The children's department is wonderful. I love Amazon, and it has it's uses, but you cannot beat the feeling of a real book in your hand when you are browsing. Especially when the setting looks like this.


Do you have a favourite bookshop? I would love to hear about it.

15 comments:

  1. What an amazing bookshop, you could spend hours, no days in there!
    I haven't been to Bradford for many years, but it really has some beautiful areas, all that history and the olds mills, it's quite haunting (in a good way), I must get up north again - it's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always surprises me that it does have some amazing areas, like Little Germany, tucked away between all the derelict buildings!

      Delete
  2. Ah Waterstones Bradford I was in there just the other week! It is lovely. Nice pictures of such a beautiful building. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, it is lovely, isn't it. I just like staring up at the roof!

      Delete
  3. I always wanted to work in a bookshop. You wouldn't get me out of this one. I've never been to Bradford but love that side of the country going over to Leeds and Hull x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about the thought of working in a beautiful bookshop, isn't there. I spent many years in bookselling though, so I know how unglamorous the reality is! x

      Delete
  4. ok, it's worth visiting Bradford for that bookshop alone! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new bookshop has just opened in Malvern. It is run on cooperative lines and I bought a share. I am very proud to so that I co-own a bookshop! This is a life ambition and the best thing is that I don't really have to do any real work! It is quite small at the minute, the fiction section contains many books that can be found on my own bookshelves and it sells coffee and cake. It is a perfect addition to our high street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hijack your blog Gillian, but this sounds amazing Karen! xx

      Delete
    2. Karen, that sounds wonderful, how exciting!! A coop bookshop, how cool. I really hope it is a success. x

      Delete
  6. What an amazing bookshop! I confess that I buy most of my books from Amazon as they tend to be so much cheaper. I agree with you though - you can't beat that feeling of a book in hand, browsing the shelves.
    At school, the children in my class all have kindles (I have one too). The kindle is really great when you are travelling as it just slots into your handbag and has no weight in your suitcase. BUT I much prefer a 'proper' book!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard many good things about Kindles, but since I do most of my reading at home I don't think it would suit me. Also, if you drop a paperback in the bath, you just put it on the radiator to dry. You can't do that with a kindle! ;-) xx

      Delete
  7. Love a bookshop and that one looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat a nice long browse in a bookshop (that's if the kids let me...) x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.