Friday 9 March 2012

Tagged!




Yesterday I was "tagged" by Karen at A Quiet Corner and what a lot of fun it is! I really enjoy reading other people's tag posts as you get to know the person behind the blog a little better (err and I am a bit nosy).

These are the rules...

^ Post these rules
^ Post 11 things about yourself
^ Answer the questions provided by the one who tagged you
^ Create 11 new questions for the people you tag
^ Go to their blog and tell them they've been tagged!

Eleven random facts about me:

1. My first ever gig was Guns n' Roses at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993 aged 15.
2. I make big babies - my two weighed 9lbs 13oz and 9lbs 3oz.
3. My favourite film is Clueless. 
4. I met my husband at a Big Beat night at the Student Union in 1998.
5. We spent our honeymoon in San Francisco.
6. I love crime fiction.
7. I am really, really slack at getting my hair cut and leave it as long as possible between appointments.
8. When I'm tipsy I listen to power ballads on Spotify.
9. I passed my driving test on the fourth attempt and got a "D" for dangerous driving on the first two.
10. I am rather partial to a glass of red wine, especially a Pinot Noir.
11. I have a masters degree in English Literature and still have anxiety dreams about writing my thesis. 


Questions from Karen 

1. What is your ideal weekend? Well, for starters, John needs to be home as he works alternate weekends, then: Friday night - take away and wine, go into town Saturday morning for flowers, magazines, something nice for lunch, then home for a quiet afternoon. Sunday - a lie in, roast lunch in a pub, then crafting, baking and general pottering. (and both kids sleeping through both nights and being perfectly behaved all weekend too).
2. Favourite colour? Currently olive green.
3. What super power would you like? To make children sleep through the night.
4. What are your passions? Family, friends, eating, cooking, books, crafting...
5. What is your favourite animal? err...a dog?
6. Flats or heels? Flats every time, especially flip flops. I am 5 feet 11 inches tall and feel like a drag queen in heels.
7. If you had £1000 to spend on yourself alone what would you buy? A Smeg Fridge.
8. Who would you most like to meet, living or dead? Dolly Parton.
9. What is your favourite day of the week? Friday - the anticipation of a weekend to come.
10. What is top of your spring wardrobe want list? A bright yellow satchel like this one.
11. What makes you laugh? John, always...the kids, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Eddie Izzard's Creation Sketch, so many random things.


My questions...

1. Tea or Coffee?
2. What book are you reading at the moment?
3. Who inspires you?
4. Do you have a favourite craft?
5. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
6. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
7. What is your favourite song?
8. What is your earliest memory?
9. Do you have a favourite soap opera?
10. What is your most treasured possession?
11. What would you last meal be?


And I would like to tag...


Emma at oak before ash
Jackie at Button Tree Crafts
Jooles at Sew Sweet Violet
Emily at unravelled

Five blogs that I really enjoy reading - I hope you enjoy the tagging experience as much as I did! 

11 comments:

  1. Good answers - really glad you enjoyed being tagged. English is my subject too but I never did my masters - clever you. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks The MA nearly killed me off - I was too young and woefully underprepared! Hey ho. You have a great weekend too. x

      Delete
  2. Gillian thank you for the "tag" - hope you like what I've come up with in response! It is a lovely way to find out a little bit more about people one feels one knows but actually one doesn't know a lot about. Hope I've done it correctly - followed your instructions assiduously!

    E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well after a skim it looks A-Ok to me - off for a proper long read now! ;-) x

      Delete
  3. Even I learnt something new - power ballards on Spotify hey?! I am doing mine tonight to unveil tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In particular "Total Eclipse of the Heart". Tragic I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this! i'm just getting into crime fiction. any recommendations? also, i have my bachelor's degree in english lit. i didn't get a master's, but instead got another bachelor's in apparel design. it feels so funny to have had so much schooling and now be a stay at home mom. oh, and i'm pretty lazy with my haircuts too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we have to remember that being a stay at home Mum requires skill, patience, ingenuity and levels of multitasking (all while very tired!) that I certainly never used at work!

      I'm currently really enjoying a series of books by Donna Leon, all set in Venice. The first one is "Death At La Fenice" - although I warn you they will make you want to visit Venice!

      Delete
  6. Gillian, I've had Death at La Fenice on the bedside TBR pile for more than a year. I've started it twice but somehow I just can't get really 'into' it - I love crime fiction, too, but of the amateur-sleuth kind, of such novels as those by Elly Griffiths (about a forensic archeologist) rather than the hard-boiled police procedural type. I very much enjoyed the Kate Ivory series by Veronica Stallwood (I think there are 13 or 14 of them - they are about an historical novelist living in Oxford who just happens to become involved in crimes, again the amateur sleuth.)
    I've seen those tagged pieces before - they are quite fun but remind me a bit of the game of consequences we played at school .... so and so met so and so at ... he said to her ... she said to him ... and so forth ... ending with "the consequence was" and we'd fall about laughing. I don't know why they remind me of this game, but they just do.
    But Dolly Parton?
    Not Catherine the Great?
    Not Joan of Arr?
    Not Elizabeth 1?
    Not Elvis?
    Not Churchill?
    Not Cromwell?
    Not Shakespeare or even Mrs Shakespeare?
    But Dolly Parton ...?

    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, the woman is a legend! Think of all she has seen and done and experienced in her lifetime, coming from the poorest of backgrounds to where she is now. I think she would be very good fun and very wise (and I love her music!).

      Death at La Fenice is excellent. I have read the first six and loved them all. They are not your standard police procedurals, focusing more on Italian culture and politics. Thanks for the Veronica Stallwood recommendation, I will give them a try.

      Delete
  7. I can hardly believe what I've just read from Margaret P, as I'm also Margaret P, and I've had that Donna Leon on the shelf for ages, tried it twice and given up although I love crime fiction! And I've just parted with my full collection of Veronica Stallwood Oxford novels to the local hospice charity shop (there are about 13 or 14 of them), and I love the Elly Griffiths novels, and have just parted with the first three of those - I simply had to weed my shelves and parted with close to 200 books this week - but your words almost mirror what I've said several times, and we're both "Margaret P"! Am-az-ing! I will now try Death at La Fenice again!!!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.