Monday 12 March 2012

A House Guest for the Weekend

On Friday, Bella brought Looby Doll home from school for the weekend, as a reward for doing well at school this week. Looby comes with a book full of photos and stories about her visits to other homes. I'm afraid a quick flick through this book brought out my unattractive competitive side. John worked all weekend so I'd planned a quiet few days of pottering at home. Not theme parks, which appears to be how Looby usually spends her weekends.

Our weekend was dictated by the whims of a small doll (Bella, obviously, was loving my unusual acquiescence to all her requests).

Looby wants to sleep in Bella's bed (Looby spent a while in a smoker's house and doesn't smell great).


Looby wants to watch Tangled. Over and over.


Looby wants to bake fairy cakes.

Please tell me someone else's baking cupboard looks like this. I need a larder.



Looby wants to do glueing and sticking (I did subtly influence the crafting so that I could make something I'd seen on another blog...more on that later)


and play in the garden...


and visit the local bookshop.



Looby has amazingly sharp eyes and pointed out this rainbow to Bella, hiding under the coffee table.


Exhausting. But when Bella said "Mummy, this is a special weekend because Looby is here and I am happy"  I did think, ah, bless, that's gorgeous - she is making little memories and enjoying every moment.

There were perks for me though. We made gooood cupcakes - I will share these with you tomorrow!



A rather tasty thai prawn curry and beer.




A bit of time in the garden. The tulips are starting to come up and I moved some pots around and had a half hearted tidy up.


And this arrived on Saturday. I haven't had time to really look at it yet, typically.


On Friday some men came and installed another piece of ugly tv type equipment in our house. We now how TiVo. See this remote control - the red thumbs down buttons is for programmes you don't like and the green thumbs up button for the ones you do. That's about my level of technological skill. I've now pre-recorded the whole series of Fabulous Cakes, one of those tv programmes which shows how ludicrously over the top and expensive ($2500 for a cake??) creations are made (it's brilliant!) which is on some random cable channel at midnight. Yay!


Now it's Monday I need a rest. I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

16 comments:

  1. Ha ha I remember feeling (slightly) competitive when my Bella brought home 'Toby Bear' when she was at pre-school. He was a bit smelly too and I had to be restrained from put him in the washing machine!
    A lovely post Gillian, looks like you had a great time and much nice than those awful theme parks!
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Essie, I think Bella had fun and we just about got away with it! Gillian x

      Delete
  2. I think Looby had a slightly better weekend than me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can always come and stay and we can do all those things with you... :-)

      Delete
  3. Looks like Looby had a fabulous weekend! Yes my cupboards do look like that - Positively dangerous.I dream of a huge kitchen and a walk in larder.... bliss.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a huge kitchen with a marble island for perfect pastry..and a walk in larder...a Smeg fridge...an AGA...that sounds about right. Oh, and a beautiful wooden dresser. Right, just need to win the lottery! :-)

      Delete
  4. oh, thanks for tagging me - I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope it is a fun task not a chore!

      Delete
  5. We once entertained the school hamster for the weekend. It spent half of Saturday refusing to come out from under the television cupboard and other wise it slept all day and rattled it's - insert swear word of choice - wheel all night. I think I'd have preferred Looby ;D

    Cupcake making is much more fun than theme parks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That did make me laugh Annie. On balance, a smelly doll is preferable to an animal. I can't accidentally kill a doll!

      Delete
  6. Hello! Sorry for being so lax and not getting back to you sooner - thank you for tagging me - I've never been tagged before! In answer to your question - yes, the tins are from pizza express,I shamelessly ask for them every time I go and they work perfectly if you bang a few holes in the bottom.
    Also, yes, my larder looks exactly like that too - I've even got that same flour shaker - great taste
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, hope you enjoy it! Right, next time I go to pizza express I will beg one of those tins, they do make excellent planters!

      Delete
  7. i want a bowl of that curry right now! and then i'd like one of those cupcakes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your food photos always make me feel the same way! Is it weird how much i like to know what other people eat??

      Delete
  8. Please can I come and stay at yours!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.