Monday 5 March 2012

Rainy Weekend

Our early glimpse of Spring didn't last for long, and we had grey skies and freezing rain over the weekend. It was a weekend of pottering around the house, cooking, crafting, playing - the best kind.   Sunday was especially cold and wet and the kids had energy to burn off so we went to The Royal Armouries, a fantastic (and free!) local museum of arms and armour. John loves it in there and Bella and Angus just enjoyed the opportunity to run around and touch everything. 


Throughout the museum are little window seats where you can look over the canal and a jousting area and the shops. I spent ages staring at the block of swanky new apartments opposite the museum, trying to imagine who lived in each flat and what their life was like. Can you see the person having a cigarette in the bottom right corner? 


Then pizza for lunch. It was lovely. The kids behaved and ate their food and it was all peaceful and happy.


I spent a lot of time this weekend on a misguided craft project. After reading the fantastic Mollie Makes magazine, I got a bee in my bonnet about making Bella and Angus a little mouse each, like the ones here.


Those naughty mice are tricky and fiddly and I will finish them if it bloody kills me. I almost thought about abandoning them yesterday but I'd already spent MANY hours on them, and Bella was so excited and kept trying to "help" and asking when her mouse would be ready, so I persevered. I will try to finish them today and show you tomorrow. Let's just say they are putting my limited sewing skills to the test.

14 comments:

  1. I was keen to make those mice - now I am not so sure. Looking forward to seeing how they work out - the little head looks rather lovely - don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've just finished them, and they've turned out ok. But fiddly, fiddly, fiddly little mice!

      Delete
  2. I too had been thinking about making those mice... They'll be worth it in then end and think of how you'll have expanded your children's vocabulary whilst making them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - I may have muttered the odd expletive then looked around in a hurry hoping small ears did not hear.

      Delete
  3. Looking at horses with spikes on their heads, then eating pizza? I think you may just have lived my boys' favourite weekend!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the boys in our household were much more into the horse and spikes than the girls, I have to admit!

      Delete
  4. Your comments about the mice did make me laugh - so glad you finished them! What is it about those inviting little projects that look so simple but end up being such a swine to complete?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they just draw you right in, don't they? They were a swine to finish but they are done now, phew. Off to put the kettle on. :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh I think we may have to make a visit to the Royal Armories, especially as they are just over an hour away. I love your blog BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, thanks so much :-) The Royal Armouries are a great rainy day trip.

      Delete
  6. love the photo of the colored pencils :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the minute we were seated the waitress just brought over all the pencils and paper without us asking, then calmly moved the beautiful blue glass tumblers away from the kids and replaced them with blue plastic ones - we left a good tip!

      Delete
  7. lol at the Mollie Makes mouse, I've got that high on my to-do list but I did think it might be fiddly. Reminds me of the "birds on twigs" project I tried a while back, aka the DAMNED HARDEST PROJECT EVER INVENTED.
    I'm LOVING your blog, but you are NOT helping my efforts to kick the sugar habit. sooooo many cakey things!
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds of twigs...sounds interesting! Thanks for stopping by and your very kind words :-) you've made my day! Sorry about the cake...I do like cake. I really must try some healthier recipes! Gillian xx

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.