Thursday 22 March 2012

Millionaire's Shortbread


Today I made Millionaire's Shortbread for the first time, from this book. It was a Mother's Day present...thank you Bella and Angus (and John, who chose and paid for it). It is a gem of a book and, despite already owning about twenty baking books, this is my new favourite. John made the treacle tart on Sunday and it was just how I remember my Grandma making it when I was a child. Funny how certain tastes and smells can produce the most vivid and happy memories.


It is pretty easy to make. Bake the shortbread, leave it to cool. Make the caramel, pour on top and leave to cool. Melt the chocolate, pour on top and leave to cool. Then cut and eat! I thought I might have a battle coaxing it out of the unlined baking tray, but no, it cut like a dream. I love it when things don't stick.


The semolina in the shortbread gives it a wonderful crispness, and the sweetness of the caramel is offset perfectly by the bitterness of the dark chocolate. This is a winner, I am definitely making these babies again.


18 comments:

  1. As usual petal, your baking looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you, it's not. I just don't post the domestic fails!

      Delete
  2. More lovely baking Gillian, you make it look so easy and I just know my attempt would look NOTHING like this!
    Could you box some up and send down to me please! :)
    Have a lovely weekend
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Essie, nothing would make me happier! But I'm not sure they would survive the journey. ;-) You'd open a box of crumbs and goo!

      Delete
  3. This is one of those cakes that I love but rarely eat. I've always thought it must be quite tricky to make so I've never looked up a recipe for it. You make it sound simple. The book looks beautiful too. John knows your taste so well (both in style and palate). What a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was tricky too, but it's not! I know, John knows I am a sucker for a pretty baking book. xx

      Delete
  4. Yummy, yummy, yummy! I love this stuff - I don't often make it but when I do it don't last long! Your pics are edible as I am very sure the reality was / is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made 24 pieces so I hope they will last through the weekend at least!

      Delete
  5. Gunk is what this is called in our house as the caramel is always too gunky! Yours looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more luck than good cooking. I am always very nervous of any type of cooking involving melting sugar...

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't be able to stop eating these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I am having a similar problem. Husband will be taking some in to work tomorrow I think so that there are less in the house!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, those look AMAZING! I'm hungry now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cor, they look a bit yum! I'm noticing something with your blog - I always want to eat after I've read it! I wish I lived a bit nearer to you, then I could become your real life friend and eat all your cake...
    I know and love lardy cake too - I was born in Hampshire though, I def think it's a southern thing.
    Have a jolly weekend and please, for the sake of my waistline, stop blogging about cake
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, do I blog about baking too much? I promise to write more about domestic fails and how the kids never eat their tea!

      Emily, I would love some kind of bloggy meet-up as making friends with other like-minded people is so utterly lovely, but I'm not sure how it would work...but if you are ever in Yorkshire then you'd be VERY welcome to come round for tea and cake!

      Gillian x

      Delete
  9. it was even better than it looks!! (if that is possible). you are one baking star (or star baker? I think you know what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.