Monday 26 March 2012

British Summer Time

No new breakfast recipes this weekend. We were all too busy playing in the sunshine and doing other things. My parents came to stay this weekend and so our breakfasts were the usual lazy, fluid, hour-long affairs that occur when they come to stay. Coffee and the papers. Everyone helping themselves to whatever they fancy. The children wander over and ask for a "second breakfast", as they call it, and sit on my parent's knees and pinch their toast and jam. More coffee.  We all know which bit of the paper we like by now.  The "proper" news for my Dad. The sports section for John. Any of the lifestyle/family/interior/fashion sections are pored over by Mum and I.


The weather has been glorious. Misty mornings turned into warm and sunny days. We ate lunch in the garden.


The clocks went forward and so we are now enjoying lighter evenings (and I am hoping that Bella sleeps in a little later, instead of waking at six declaring that the birds are "too noisy").


Plants past their best were removed and flower beds cleared in preparation for the planting I plan to do over the Easter holidays...sweet peas, rununculus, anemones and dahlias. Anything that says "English Country Garden".  


The first garden flowers were picked and brought indoors - a motley collection of forsythia, wallflowers, daffodils and one tulip. Slim pickings but still pretty.


I spent Sunday volunteering at my local NCT Nearly New Sale. Yes, I willingly spent seven hours on the sunniest day of the year so far indoors in a sports hall. My parents helpfully texted me photos of the children in the park eating ice cream. But it was worth it as volunteers get to go into the sale first and pick the best bargains and that is what I did. Look at all this bounty for only a few quid!


Plus that warm glow you get from doing a bit of volunteering for a charity. Also, I sold lots of baby stuff (bye bye cot, highchair, stairgate...sob) and made some money as well as some space in the garage.

Also, I am happy to report that lardy cake freezes beautifully. I defrosted one over the weekend for my parents and it went down very well indeed. I hope you all enjoyed your weekend and are enjoying the sunshine, wherever you are.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect weekend - I'm loving BST already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your summer house - it's exactly the same colour combination as mine! Not sales bring back many memories - excellent sale booty. I am loving this weather (so much so that I didn't moan once today about doing my weekly playground duty!!! ). Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was painted with the leftover green paint that we used on the front and garage doors. I love the colour. I bet playground duty was almost fun with this weather!

      Delete
  3. I have bought the Lard! Um, The Times?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad's preferred paper. (You know we are all Guardian reading lefties in this household!) xx

      Delete
  4. Ha, that made me laugh Gillian - I also have a Bella who is always up at Six! This morning was a quarter to Seven however, so fingers crossed for that to continue!
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for you! My Bella was up later today...shame it was a school morning! x

      Delete
  5. Shall we change our girls names. My Bella wakes early too! Love that mug! And the summer house. Hope the sun continues xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is supposed to shine all week long, hurrah! x

      Delete
  6. What a relaxing weekend! Your garden flowers are beautiful! I am new to your blog...it's lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia, nice to meet you! Thanks so much for stopping by. The flowers smell good, I keep catching a whiff of their scent when I walk by them. Gillian x

      Delete
  7. This weekend was just perfect. The sun makes everything so much more tolerable and opens up another room to us all, the garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the children have had most of their meals outside lately...less clearing up for me!

      Delete
  8. looks like a lovely weekend! your cut flowers are gorgeous and i can't wait to see the next crop. ranunculus and anemones are some of my favorites and are planted in my garden as well! how is the granola that is pictured in the first photo? i have always wanted to buy it due to the packaging alone. very orla...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll have to show us photos when your flowers bloom. Last year Angus dug up most of my flowers so I am hoping this year is more successful. The granola is really nice. It is on currently on offer in our local supermarket so I am stocking up like one of those crazy women from Extreme Couponing!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.