Sunday 18 March 2012

Weekend Breakfast 3 - Poached Eggs on Portobello Mushrooms


Today's breakfast - Poached Eggs on Portobello Mushrooms with Goat's Cheese from Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights by Sophie Dahl. 

First, a word on Ms Dahl's kitchen. I fell in love with that kitchen when her show was on air a couple of years ago. While I liked the TV series, the cookery book and her wardrobe, that kitchen was the star of the show for me. The tiles against the Neisha Crossland wallpaper, that white AGA, her yellow KitchenAid Artisan mixer...all those vintage coffee pots and those "what, these flowers I just threw in a jug?" flower arrangements... Oh, I do love it when food and interior design meet in such a splendidly vintage way.

Sophie, I love you, but I would suggest that that dress is inappropriate cooking attire. 

But then, shock horror, the papers revealed that her kitchen was not really hers, but belonged to a someone else, a fan of white if the photo below is anything to go by, who rents his house out as a location to TV production companies.


I don't care. I still love the make believe kitchen.

It's a really simple meal - just grill a mushroom and top with goat's cheese and a poached egg. Pretty self explanatory really! It's more filling than it looks and quite rich so one is probably enough. It is quite delicious - the runny egg yolk and goats cheese are heaven on top of the mushroom.


And, as it's Mothering Sunday here in the UK today, I wish a very happy Mother's Day to any Mums out there. My day started rather earlier than I would have liked as Bella was very excited about giving me the card she'd made at school. But what a nice way to start the day.

18 comments:

  1. Happy mothers day to you too - your breakfast looks delicious!:0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh to late to request that for my Mothering Sunday Brekkie- Jake made me french ,toast but that would make a lovely starter or light supper too.

    I too love the pretend kitchen - and its much nice than the unstyled white shed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake made you french toast...bless him! That's lovely. Yes, that barn of a kitchen is too minimal by far. All that white would give me a migraine!

      Delete
  3. Happy Mother's Day! I'm childless today (son has gone to France for a skiing weekend and daughter working in a local restaurant), so have plenty of time on my hands to spoil my mum. Enjoy your day - your breakfast looks yummy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it's a shame your kids aren't with you, I do rather envy you your peaceful sounding Mother's Day. It's noisy here today! x

      Delete
  4. Never seen the show but LOVE that kitchen! Oh how I miss my Aga. Thanks for the recipe. Will be giving that one a go.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had an Aga...? You lucky thing. We cooked on one once when we hired a cottage in Herefordshire on holiday, and I loved it. I will always want one!

      Delete
  5. we don't celebrate mother's day over here until may, so i will tuck this idea away for then! it looks delicious! i have this book, but don't remember this recipe in it. clearly i need to flip through it again. also, i didn't know she had a show! i'm guessing it didn't air over here, but hopefully the internet will have it somewhere. i love her so much! and that kitchen is to die for! i also really loved the kitchen and garden in jamie oliver's show Jamie At Home. i wonder if that was really his or someone else's, not that it really matters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show was quite good (I think you may be able to see parts of the episodes on youtube - it was on BBC2) but was one of those "lifestyle" cookery programmes. Lots of shots of Sophie buying stuff from her local deli while looking perfectly made up and wearing amazing clothes - I would just rather see the cooking! I think I read somewhere that the kitchen in Jamie At Home is his, but it was built on his land as a studio kitchen, so it's not his everyday kitchen. The kitchens on famous TV cooks fascinate me!

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious, I like eggs and mushrooms. Your presentation makes it a pretty breakfast!
    We celebrate mother's day in May, but Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks, I have only one pretty plate - I think I need to invest in a couple more! Gillian

      Delete
  7. Now that is a breakfast to linger over! Hope the rest of your Mother's Day went to plan :D

    I like the kitchen better in the second photo, actually I LOVE the way it looks in the second photo, I'm a bit of a minimalist at heart :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, while I would rather like the acres of space and the Aga in the second photo, I would have to pretty it up with some colour!

      Delete
  8. Oh yum! I have her book but haven't yet made anything. Maybe I'll attempt it for lunch :)
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding that many tasty breakfasts also make rather nice lunches and suppers. Versatile!

      Delete
  9. That is the kitchen I want, either. Only a bit jealous of mum's who got breakfast made for them on mothers day. Ah well next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I made my own breakfast, but it was quite nice to go into the kitchen and put radio 4 on and potter in peace. Small things!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.