Saturday 3 March 2012

Weekend Breakfast 1 - Granola


Lately, I have been stuck in a rut. A breakfast rut. My exciting and extensive breakfast menu looks like this:

Weekdays - porridge. Weekends - (wait for it) toast and marmalade.

Now, I like porridge and toast, but I am growing bored with my breakfast choices. I've recently noticed some very inspiring recipes on blogs (like fourfourten) and in magazines and cookery books, and I am branching out. I'm aiming for a mix of healthy and not-so-healthy, seasonal cooking and store cupboard staples. I don't exactly have time to potter in the kitchen on a weekday morning so this is a weekend project.

Today I tried the Our Favourite Granola recipe from from Leon:Baking and Puddings: Book 3. I started making it yesterday as there is some baking involved.


I do wonder if my oven was a bit hot though, as the baked oats looked a bit like charred rubble when I first took them out of the oven. But it tasted good - the maple syrup and sesame seeds give it a dark, almost smoky flavour. I ate it with milk this morning, and I think that works better than yogurt as you want the granola to soften slightly in the milk. But, I have to say, that now it's made (and the recipe makes a LOT) it is a weekday breakfast, albeit a quick and tasty one. Next weekend I think I will try something a bit more indulgent .

10 comments:

  1. I think long relaxing breakfasts/ brunches are my favourite type of meal...the granola looks lovely.

    Baked french toast is a great weekend treat - basically an excuse to eat bread and butter pudding for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, baked french toast, that sounds interesting...off to google recipes now! x

      Delete
  2. This granola looks tasty.
    I often sprinkle about a tablespoon or so of seeds (mixture of pumpkin, golden linseed and sesame) over my shop-bought muesli to add extra crunch and variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna that sounds very healthy, i will try that. I should probably eat more seed type things, they are full of good oils. x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You are being kind. It tasted better than it looked! x

      Delete
  4. Oh, I like the idea of making my breakfast's more interesting too, and I love Gronola. I'm a week-day porridge girl too, which I love. I keep meaning to do a lovely fruit-salad now the weather's warmer but never have the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as the weather warms up a bit I will experiment with fruit salads and smoothies - but not a weekday - too much faffing!

      Delete
  5. i'm so glad i have inspired your breakfast adventure! i get in a rut with breakfast too. we eat scrambled eggs and toast every morning. it gets really boring, so i try to change things a bit from time to time. can't wait to see if you try biscuits and gravy! i've never made granola but was looking at some recipes yesterday. i'll add this one to my list to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly have! Your breakfasts always look great. I am building up the courage to try biscuits and gravy!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.