Friday 5 October 2012

Harvest


Last weekend, Bella, Angus and I snipped the heads off every single lavender bush we have so that l can make lavender bags. I don't think they could quite believe their luck; they had totally free reign to snip away in the garden without me shouting "don't cut that!", and were a very happy and cooperative duo of child labourers. I spent half an hour shedding each stem of it's flower head and leaves, then scattered them all over an old sheet. I've put this on the top shelf of the airing cupboard in the bathroom where, hopefully, they will dry out.

In a flash of "know your limits" inspiration, I decided to keep the sachets simple. I love hand sewing. I do not love machine sewing. So, I will keep these very quick and easy, just a very little muslin bag embroidered with a lavender stem, tied with purple ribbon. 

While we're on the subject of purple, Bella had to dress up as a character from a Roald Dahl book last Friday. Bella is not a fan of dressing up, and Willy Wonka, Oompa Loompas, Fantastic Mr Fox and witches were all rejected by Madam as potential ideas ("They're for boooys"). We compromised on Violet Beauregarde from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (if you can imagine what Violet might wear if she were going to a birthday party...) Purple dress, tights, bow and shoes. I love the shoes. And Bella has a new party dress for her hectic social life. Double win.



Aren't those shoes perfect? I want a pair.

Have a good weekend everyone, and thanks for stopping by and reading. I'm sorry I haven't been replying to comments so much lately - it's a time thing. I can either reply to comments, or visit your blogs, and while I'd like to do both I can't. I love visiting your blogs and saying hello and seeing what you've been up to. x

25 comments:

  1. Special shoes! I love her rosette and the pretty hair ribbon. Oh to be a little girl! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lavender. Your little Violet Beauregarde is divine. And you are the most conscientious replier and commenter in all of Blogland, so go easy on yourself ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely dress up outfit ... and a bonus that it can all be worn again in normal life :) ... love the little shoes ... I know what you mean about the comments ... I find it hard to find the time to do it all ... but I love to see you and my other lovely bloggy friends visiting my blog and saying hello ... I think that's a nice way to reply too ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS My dad has been harvesting lavender from his garden for me too ... it is hanging upside down in my airing cupboard as we speak ... mine is the other type ... not sure if it's french or english ... xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pics, and I'm very envious of all your lavender, I only have teeny plants! Completely with you on the replying to comments... I try to do both, but it's so difficult. So much nicer to have someone come visit your blog though, so definitely the way to do it.
    Have a great weekend : )
    Jude xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lavender is so gorgeous! And I love Bella's party dress and her shoes are so adorable! Have a lovely weekend sweet blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfectly matching post! All the pictures were in harmony with each other! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella made a beautifully violet Violet! Your lavender bags sound like they are going to be beautiful and the smell will be divine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful lavender coloured and scented post! Violet Beauregard was an inspired choice! And what a lovely addition to Bella's wardrobe - purple shoes especially are just the business! Like you, I want a pair! Have a lovely weekend, Gillian! E x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness me, I WANT some of those shoes! Hope she had fun x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Inspired idea for book day, love the dress and shoes!
    I bet your airing cupboard smells lovely with all that lavender.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had some lavender to snip, I must fix that and get one. Loving the cute shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post- lavender is such a sweet smell, Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely lavender harvest, mmmmm! I like hand sewing and dislike machine sewing too! Love the purple shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the outfit - especially the shoes! What a fabulous idea to make your own lavender bags. Have a super weekend.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, those shoes are perfect! I'm with Bella - not a fan of dressing up either... And don't worry about not replying to comments. I also find it's a time thing and like you I use the time to go visit blogs and comment there. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'Violet, you're turning violet, Violet' - one of my favorite lines. We are huge Dahl fans - have you been to the Roald Dahl Museum before? - hugely inspirational. Miss Bella looks adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet you've got gorgeous smelling washing after it's been in the airing cupboard with the lavender. What a great character to dress up as, love the shoes and the ribbon in Bella's hair.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post, particually fond of the child labour!
    Bella looks beautiful, what a good idea, and yes, shoe envy going on here!

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Children get the best shoes. I just ordered myself a pair from duckfeet.com – the closest I could find to kids shoes for grownups!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just bought a pot of lavender of the weekend, they're so pretty! Can't wait for them to grow big so I can make my own lavender bag.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think a fair few of us might be coveting those shoes. What an inspired choice of costume :D


    I have a load of lavender here too waiting to be made into lavender bags, I must get my act together!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What stunning photos!! Loved the story of your child labourers in the garden!! And yes, those little shoes are simply adorable : -)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What adorable photos in this series ....I love them!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.