Wednesday 3 October 2012

From my kitchen this week...

This colder weather makes me want to cook and cook and cook. Here are some of the highlights...

A surprisingly wonderful loaf of bread, made with half white and half wholemeal bread flour. It kept so well, and was still good for sandwiches two days after baking.


Minestrone soup, warming and nourishing and delicious.


Beef and ale stew, the stuff of cold autumn evenings, with a glass of wine.


Weekday breakfast - a smoothie made from banana, milk, espresso powder and chocolate powder. Breakfast should not taste this good.


Red velvet cupcakes, one of my favourite kinds. A moist, mildly chocolately cake with cream cheese frosting - heaven.


I can't claim that I grew these pears myself, or even that I bought them from my local, organic farm shop, but these supermarket bargains were sweet and so juicy that they had to be eaten standing over the kitchen sink.


Not photographed but eaten regularly in this house...endless platefulls of fish fingers, pasta pesto, cheese on toast, jacket potatoes, beans on toast...comfort food. What are you cooking and eating lately?

All this cooking means lots of eating, so all I will say is it's a good thing I've been running more. I've entered a race in November and suddenly it seems that there aren't many weeks to go, so I need to do more "training" (ahem). Last night it was the monthly 5 kilometre time trials in my running club. Everyone just turns up and runs against themselves. It's hard work. But the worst bit was the long walk home, through absolutely torrential rain. When I got home I could wring water out of my running clothes and my fingers were so cold that I could barely get undressed. A hot shower never felt so good.

20 comments:

  1. Yum. That all looks so good. It's definitely time to put the slow cooker in to action and get some stews cooked up, this cooler weather makes me want some good hearty food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such yumminess! It really is soup season at the moment. Running wise - your so good! I've not been for a week or so and am feeling guilty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, soup, curries, chilli con carne - I don't think I've ever been running as an adult - many long walks mind you. I think my knees would buckle at the thought of a 5km run! All the best with the race in November.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that lovely cooking and it's only Wednesday! Looks delicious! Love Autumn and the excuse for yummy comfort food. Well done with the running. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that food all looks so good! Where on earth do you find the time? I need a few tips please :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so relate to your need for comfort food and the getting soaked too. Although my soaking was doing the school run, by the time we got home even my underwear was drenched .... bit good .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel hungry reading this post - mostly for that cupcake.

    Please tell . . . what are "jacket potatoes?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just baked potatoes - large spuds baked in their skins or "jackets" - I have no idea why they are called that!

      Delete
  8. What lovely photos, lots of good comfort food, and the milkshake looked good too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The red velvet cake looks particularly tempting!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmmm, those cupcakes are making my mouth water!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cor! That all looks so mouthwatering. Good food to feed the soul and keep us warm now it's starting to get a little colder.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummy ... can I come for tea :) ... the stew looks delicious and the cupcake ... pure heaven I'm sure ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Good luck with the training, yes you will definitely need to eat more! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There I was, agreeing with Quiet Corner Karen that Sue at the Quince Tree often leaves me feeling ravenous, and you're doing it too!!!

    That minestrone soup looks wonderful, and I was practically salivating at the thought of those juicy pears! Food, glorious food, and beautifully photographed :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    All looks good, we've been eating porridge for a few weeks now, but I think that smoothie looks like a good change (only ever made berry ones) when we are late - a few espressos in and sorted... Thank you.
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cold weather does get me in a cooking mood too - how well did that loaf of rbead looks? And the minestrone soup looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks all! I should say that these are the highlights, and therefore worth celebrating, and there are lots of average meals too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The weather is to turn very cool here on Sunday and I'm already planning lots of warm and cozy meals and some homemade bread. Everything looks delicious...especially the cupcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have just had a cold change which is making me eye off that stew. Can't wait to be cooking again. And baking- that is a whole new thing for me to explore.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.