Friday 12 October 2012

A Felt Ball Garland


Hello there! I hope you're all having a good week. I'm feeling very crafty at the moment (Autumn always does this to me) and have been busy on various makes all week. Operation Add Colour To The Living Room continues, with a cheap* and cheerful decoration for the mantle piece. And so easy! I could make these all day long. A few weeks ago I ordered some felt balls from Etsy. I picked a seller which let me choose the individual colours rather than a random selection, aiming for colours which would sort of go with the the grey in our living room, without being too matchy-matchy. 

These little balls are so tactile - they feel light but dense at the same time. I couldn't stop touching them and weighing them in my hand. The kids and I had lots of fun rolling them around. I did leave them in this bowl on the coffee table for a week or so and just admired them.


I like the way the balls pick out the colours and tones in my crochet cushion.


To make the garland, I simply threaded a needle with some pale cotton thread and pushed the needle through the middle of the felt ball from one side to the other. You do need to make sure your needle is longer than the ball before you start though, in case it gets lost in the middle.

Keep threading the balls onto the thread in your chosen order, then tie a little knot very close to the first and last ball, to stop them sliding around everywhere.


Then hang from where ever your heart desires; mantle piece, bed, wall, shelf. Just think of the colour combinations you could choose! Oranges, browns and black to tie in with Halloween, red and white and green for Christmas, a pastel Spring garland...so much fun to be had. I'm excited just thinking about it! They remind me of my Cable and Cotton lights, except the bulbs wont go in my felt ball garland.


Wouldn't an all white and grey garland made from the smallest balls make the most gorgeous Christmas tree decoration?  A modern take on tinsel. In fact, once October (or Broke-tober as we are calling it in this house) ends and John gets paid, I may have to order some more...



Cheap, colourful and easy-peasy, you can't say fairer than that! Have a lovely weekend everyone. x


* Total cost (including postage) was £9.68 or $15.

28 comments:

  1. Very pretty Gillian ... all the colours tone so well together ... I made one of these last year for Christmas but strung mine on embroidery thread and spaced them further apart ... it was so cute I have kept it up all year ... draped on a bookcase ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! And pinned! I've got some upstairs in a box, I might give this a go! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me. Although I have just got a start punch and some paper to make Christmas garlands

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I have loads of wool fibre balls in the process of drying downstairs that are intended for a Christmas garland, you have convinced me it's definitely a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your garland - so bright and cheerful as the days grow dark sooner.
    Have a fab weekend.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply stunning! Simple to make, stunning to look at! Have a great weekend! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is all very pretty, I admit. But, playing Devil's Advotate (as you know I sometimes do!) I wonder, in homes such as this, with lots of girly things around, lots of ditsy bits and bobs, balls and bunting, and so forth, whether the menfolk feel just a teeny weeny bit outsiders? I wonder, if the ball (pardon the pun) were on the other hoof, would we like lots of metal and car parts and gym stuff and lads magazines strewn all over the place? Or do the husbands/partners not mind as long as the women are happy (and they have regular meals on the table)? Just a thought ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Gillian! I've bought some felt balls but done nothing with them, except colour block them in little bags!! Must get cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Love it - colourful and thrifty!! I bet the whole family gets a kick out of all of the colour. Are the little ones keeping their hands off of it??

    I found your blog through "Cozy Little House" and I am your newest follower.

    Bronwyn
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very simple but extremely effective - I love the colours and they look gorgeous as a garland in your home. I bet they would look quite festive as well.

    Have a fabulous weekend

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Great choice of colours. I love doing craft with the kids, but am not the most crafty person otherwise - but I think even I could get this one right. I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from Nova Scotia Canada! Love your blog -- the felt garland is darling; but it was the Apple Loaf and Thai Lentil soup that really did it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Gillian
    What a lovely idea for a garland.
    I have tried making felt balls and have had some success (they take a while, but are quite therapeutic to make). Perhaps I should try making enough to make a garland too! Thank you for the idea.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great. I was going to make a felt ball wreath last year and ordered what I thought were tons of balls. I was horrified when I saw the size of the packet so realising it would cost a small fortune I abandoned the idea. Now you've given me a reason to hunt out the balls, oo er.
    Have a good weekend.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely balls! I like them in the bowl with your crochet cushion in the background, great colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simple idea and so effective, the colours reflect those in your lovely pictures really well.
    Instant autumnal warm.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really cute as a garland - but then, I like them in the bowl also. I'm coming over from Cozy Little House.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks lovely, I like the way the colours go with your prints.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE this felt garland! It adds the perfect pop of color to your living room! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I just popped in from Cozy Little House... She is welcoming you to blogging!
    I am too!
    I looked around your blog you are so talented...love the color in you home. The little shoe box house...makes me want to make one! Why stop at a shoe box...why not something bigger? The sky is the limit on those little things. I'm inspired.

    happy blogging to you, and have a blessed week. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I may have to order some felt balls myself. Your garland looks lovely and it sounds like a craft project even I could manage without too much trouble.
    Your blog is such an inspiration and beauty, I always look forward to reading it!

    Have a great weekend,
    sending lots of sunshine,
    Love, Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cute DIY project, my dtr would love this. Thanks for the link to the seller too.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a brilliant idea. I love all the balls on display in the bowl too, such a simple yet effective idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this Gillian! So bright and tactile and also easy to make. The little felt balls look wonderful in their bowl and in the finished garland - clever you! Your name for October made me chuckle - yes, it's getting to that time of year when Christmas shopping begins to make one's purse leak somewhat! E x

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is gorgeous Gillian, so bright and cheerful and the colours go brilliantly with your crochet cushion. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. So bright and colorful on your mantle! And so loving your clock :) Santa may come down the chimney and pinch that on the way back up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's gorgeous! And looks perfect. That could be a pic from Ideal Homes!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.