Sunday 14 October 2012

Some Thoughts on Denim and Other Things


We went into Leeds on Saturday morning* with a list of things to buy. One of the items on the list was new jeans for me. I hate buying new jeans. They are never long enough. They never have my size. The ones I like cost £180. The cheap ones always seem to be super tight when you try them on but loose and baggy after one wearing. I live in my jeans and need them to be right. Also, I really hate they way shops display them in neatly folded piles. Yes, it looks tidy and it's very convenient for the staff, but when you're a customer with a three year old in tow and you're already holding a shopping bag and another item on a hanger that you might want to buy, how are you supposed to check the size of the pair of jeans at the bottom of the pile? Should you headbutt them and then pick them up with your teeth? I like to mess those piles up on purpose. I was actually scrabbling around on the floor in The Gap yesterday, searching the bottom shelf hoping that they would have my size in ANYTHING with a straight leg (they didn't) and I thought, this is ridiculous. I came home very grumpy indeed. And, in a sulk, I ruthlessly went through every pair of jeans in my wardrobe, hoping there would be one magical long-forgotten pair hiding at the back, but of course there was not. And so I threw out seven pairs that are too short/too old/too boot cut/too worn out including one very expensive pair I bought in Bloomingdales 8 years ago when our suitcases were delayed in New York.

I had to do some crochet just to calm down. 

In other news, I have been sewing like crazy to make things to sell on stalls in November and December. More on that another day. The weather has been glorious this weekend, blue-skied autumn perfection. We went to Kirkstall Abbey this morning. It's one of my favourite places in Leeds as it feels so peaceful and like you could be in the countryside, and the kids love climbing over the ruins. They rode their bikes and scooters around while John and I regretted not wearing coats and stamped our feet to keep warm. I went for a run this afternoon then watched Strictly Come Dancing with the kids on the sofa. I LOVE this programme. Bella loves the pretty dresses and Angus does some hilarious free-style dancing in front of the television while watching it. Then John cooked a steak and Stliton pie for tea. It was incredible. I will post the recipe later in the week. So, a better Sunday than Saturday.


*************************************

Do you remember that Cath Kidston room in a shoe box competition Bella And I entered? Well, we didn't win, but you can see the two winning entries on their website here - honestly, they are so wonderful! And if you follow that link and go to their facebook page you will see our little kitchen in their collection of favourite shoe boxes (we are number 38 - how exciting!) Plans are now under way for a shoe box bedroom...

Thanks for reading everyone and hello to new visitors, you are very welcome! I hope you all had happy weekends whatever you were up to.


*******************************************

* Oh, when will we ever learn?? Leeds city centre is no place to shop with children. Each time we all come home, grumpy, tired and dissatisfied, but then (like childbirth) we forget how awful it was and, a few weeks later, one of us innocently says "Shall we go into town on Saturday? Maybe have lunch out?" NOOO! It's just not possible.

28 comments:

  1. I'm a jeans girl too, I recognise your angst! Yes, children and shopping, not a good mix! Ironically, my nicest jeans at the mo are an expensive pair Posh Sister GAVE me! I feel very lucky each time I wear them! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping and children is a bad idea, they do not mix. I hate buying jeans too except I have the opposite problem they are too long for my little legs. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hate jeans, simply because my legs are too short and my bum too big so I do empathise. As for shopping with kids never ever never , which means I rarely go shopping ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. I have the opposite problem in that my legs are too short and seem to get shorter! Also, I trusted Scott to buy me a pair of Levis a year ago and am still wearing them! Apart from your shopping experience you seem to have had a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I need jeans too and don't know where to start. So if you could just find the perfect pair for me too and let me know where to go, that would be lovely :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear jeans practically every day. I hear you. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny.. I like how a pair goes from tight to loose.. Makes me feel like I lose weight every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gillian, I feel your pain when it comes to jeans. I REALLY need a new pair of (cute) jeans, but it seems almost impossible to find the right pair. It really should not be this difficult to find good jeans! I usually try on like a dozen pair and then end up leaving the store empty handed. So much for jeans!

    Otherwise, it sounds like you had a lovely, sunny weekend with family and a lovely Sunday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know just what you mean about piles of folded jeans - it's most annoying especially when you've unfolded every pair to find the size you want that's missing and you have to fold them all up again. And jeans do indeed have to be right because when they are, they're fabulous and when they're not, there's nothing more uncomfortable! Hope you find some you like soon. Your blue sky pics are gorgeous! E x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeans are a nightmare to buy but heaven when you get the right ones...
    That pie sounds scrummy so I hope you do post a recipe. I am totally with you about 'Strictly'. I get so excited about it and HATE to go out at the weekend when it is on. Tragic. Quite good so far this year - have a good week, Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on the jeans front - it's always hard to find a good pair. I too hate the folded pairs of jeans on display. I also hate the sales assistants who see that you're trying to find a particular size but won't help but start tidying up the jeans that you're looking through as if to say don't mess them up - makes me want to shout!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shopping and children... not my favourite mix :) I thought your shoe box was the best, looking forward to seeing what others you make. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness I almost passed out cold when I saw you threw your jeans away... like in the garbage?? Okay... deep breaths, I'm hyper ventilating... :) Seriously, have you ever considered maybe donating to a woman's shelter for abused women? Sometimes they have to leave home in a hurry and need clothing, or there are always other places you can donate... or... you could make millions of gorgeous things with old jeans since you're a sewer, I bet you would make something super creative!! Just a thought! I love your blog and your photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live in my jeans too and I used to have trouble finding jeans thaat fit well and found the whole shopping experience quite stressful. Then I found the perfect jeans for me (7 for all mankind) they are about $200 at shopbop and that's all i wear now. I hope you find jeans that are right for you soon so you won't stress anymore.

    Just letting you know i'm hosting a giveaway at the moment, hope you enter: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2012/10/flora-beauty-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. After Aila was born, nearly 5 years ago now, i was having a jeans related crisis. A friend pointed me in the direction of Mavi jeans. I've bought a pair every year since. Lots of different styles that all seem to work. She lives in the uk so you can get them there. . . and they're not crazy expensive either.

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those crochet colours work really well.
    I have the opposite problem with jeans, I have short legs. My best jeans find was a Laura Ashley pair in the charity shop I used to volunteer in.
    Well done for being featured in the best 50 shoe room boxes, rwal reuslt there!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Same problem ... I too live in jeans but find it very difficult to find the perfect fit ... if I am ever lucky in finding good ones ... I tend to buy two pairs to keep me going :) ... well done on being placed in the top 50 ... your shoebox was fab ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jeans make me want to cry. I see other people in really nice ones but I can never seem to find them. I have just bought a pair from sainsburys in desperation. They are some designed by Gok and I have to say that they are pretty good. Worth a try if you can't face proper jeans shops like me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I live in my jeans too but hate shopping for them, in fact I hate clothes shopping full stop. Leeds on a Saturday with children is not the place to be. We haven't been to Kirkstall Abbey this year. We were at Temple Newsam again on Sunday, it was a glorious morning. Well done on getting the shoe box kitchen in the favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jeans are such my love/hate thing in life. I can't bear the ones with elastic in them or the ones that sit under my belly....I feel like I'm constantly pulling them up! But as you say, the right kind of jeans are way too expensive. It's not fair.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Poor you, I can only imagine how hard those piles of jeans are with a little one in tow. I could open a jeans shop here it has to be said but different jeans for different moods! Thought you might cut up some of the jeans up to make something, (I sew by the way) and have made a pillow out of a 'no knees' pair. Hope you OK - beautiful pic's and that bread looks mighty fine!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jeans are like winter boots... impossible to find and when you do find a pair that you think might be "the one"... they don't have your size. But crochet and fancy bread and crafting for stalls... oh my... how exciting, Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Poor you. Jeans shopping is horrendous. I usually find one pair that is right and then live in it until it's in rags and the hunt starts all over again! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I live in indigo jeans. The other day I had to attend a funeral and thought that perhaps jeans weren't quite the thing, so put on black trousers (smart Artigiano ones bought yonks ago) but I felt so frumpy in trousers and not jeans! So, today, when I went out to meet a friend for lunch I wore my trusty indigo jeans, with cream top and a long navy cardigan coat from years ago (it has floral grey embroidery up the sleeves) which I love so much I can't bear to throw it out even though it must be 20 years old (so old it'll soon be back in fashion!) with my jeans and felt part of the human race and not the little old lady I am fast becoming!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with you on the jeans thing. The perfect pair is always hard to find. And when I do think I have found the perfect pair, I realise that they are so nice that I want to save them for special occasions, like evenings out, and then I realise that I need another identical pair to wear everyday that I don't mind getting dirty/fading etc. It doesn't help that having had children I have 3 different sizes in amongst my collection. Well done for having a blitz.
    The shoe box photos were great. I really enjoyed looking at them. How nice to have yours featured! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. The only thing worse than folded jeans in clothes shops is when they fold piles of jumpers. I can sort of fold jeans and ram them back on the shelf but half a dozen jumpers in a muddled mess just makes me want to run out of the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hear ya on the jean thing. I wear jeans almost exclusively and I just haven't been very successful at finding a pair I really love - probably because I've been of the school of thought that spending over $40 is ridiculous. I think I'm still living in 1990 though and that I need to consider economic inflation and pay the $100 it takes to get a good fit.

    I found a discounted pair of "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" (this is the brand name) and I'm enjoying those quite a bit.

    Good luck.

    p.s. hysterical depiction of trying to get jeans out of the stack at the store. so true.

    ReplyDelete
  28. shopping for jeans is a nightmare. i am tall and i have a hard time finding jeans that are long enough. or maybe they're long enough, but the pockets are terrible, or the legs are flared, or...

    right now i'm having a hard time wearing pants that aren't knit, or just really throwing in the towel and just wearing a big dress. i guess that's what the third trimester is all about though. it's funny, i've been trying to remember what my favorite non-maternity jeans are to recommend to you, but i am drawing a complete blank. possibly from the gap, possibly calvin klein from a resale shop. good luck and let us know what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.