Thursday 30 May 2013

Room for Improvement - Bella's Bedroom

About a month ago, here, I wrote about Bella's bedroom, about how despite a lick of paint and a tidy up it still wasn't really meeting her needs or looking very nice. We've been tinkering about with it since then and I finally have some photos to show you.

Before:


And after!


We gave away the little table and chairs, moved things around and bought a deskchairbedside table and bookcase. All were from IKEA; affordable, convenient and well designed. Then Bella and I set about doing the fun bit - prettying it up.

I spray painted these old picture frames and we chose some favourite things to put in them. Postcards sent from grandparents on holiday, pictures Bella had drawn, felt animals, all sorts.


I particularly like Bella's interpretation of the royal wedding.


The desk works so well. Bella was ready for somewhere to sit and play/colour/write.


The chair was plain wood and I painted it with white eggshell and a tester pot of pink paint for the seat. By coincidence the pink matches Hello Kitty's bow perfectly which pleases Bella greatly!


The bookcase is a big improvement on what Bella had before and she had fun arranging her books. Best of all, the shoe box mouse rooms are accessible and get played with daily. the little pompoms strung along the top of the wall were made from yarn scraps left over from Mr Snake. Her bedside table is a filing cabinet. A strange choice, I know, but so useful for storing the tiny toys, dolls, trinkets and general bits and bobs that six year old girls like to collect. She really loved labeling those drawers.


I made two new cushion covers with some fabric I bought a while back. With a different blanket on her bed they make it less pink and frilly, more fresh and bright.


But best of all...the fairy lights. Oh, we love those lights. Both of us.


Switched on or off they look fabulous.

We moved her shop to a different wall where there's more space to open and close the "door". I find that, with all the children's toys, simply moving them to a different area or room makes them suddenly infinitely more interesting to them. I've no idea why.

Yes I tidied the shop and yes I enjoyed it.

A few weeks ago MoneySupermarket emailed me and asked if I'd like £50 to put towards a house or DIY project as part of their Room For Improvement campaign. I am usually wary of these things but their upfront approach and the offer of actual cash struck a chord and I thought actually, yes, I know I can make that money stretch a long way and it will help make this room really lovely for Bella. So I said yes please and I spent it on:

Cable and Cotton fairy lights: £23
a yellow desk lamp from habitat: £15
a can of green spray paint (to add to the ones I already had): £8
one tester pot of pink paint: £1.50
two showler & showler postcards: £2.50

Obviously these are fun extras and wouldn't touch the cost of the furniture we bought. But I expect if you had more time and patience than me and good access to charity shops, car boot sales and reclamation yards, then you could probably buy most of the furniture for £50 too! Maybe that's a project for another day. 





48 comments:

  1. What a lovely girls bedroom she now has. I won't post a picture of my teenage boys bedroom. It's far too scary!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bedroom. Love the new desk and chair and the yellow lamp. I would have been playing with the toys whilst tidying up too!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you have done! My favourite part would have been organising the shop set up xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks absolutely wonderful. It's very fresh and bright with a lot of personal touches and it's a room she can definitely grow into. You might not need to touch it again for at least a few years. I love the royal wedding couple, that is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just looks lovely. I am rather jealous, actually, thinking of how much my soon-to-be five year old would enjoy all of this! The filing cabinet bedside table is genius, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a sweet room for a little girl. I really like those picture frames.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great room, love those lights, am wondering if they would work in my youngest's room up by her bed....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely room. I think even 31 year old me would feel cosy in it. Great fun!
    I love the shop - it's brilliant! I would love setting up to. Can you imagine what I'm like in a role play area? ;0) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter may have some serious room envy I must show her tomorrow. What a lovely room. I think the drawing of the royal wedding is wonderful what a clever girl well worth framing really cute x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and just right for a girl who is growing up. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. in love with ALL of the white & the different pops of color. she will love it for years to come :)

    -s.

    serioussarahblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just perfect for a little girl her age! Very well done! The fairy lights are so awesome!! And I love the colorful frames and the gallery wall! The bedside lamp is also very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's fantastic, it really is, you have done well. She's a lucky girl to have such a lovely space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Well done Gillian and Bella. I love all the pictures in their bright frames. Claire xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully styled! I wish I had a room like that when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job Gillian! The room looks great and very inviting. So much fun. I'm sure Bella loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's great, Gillian! Colours everywhere! I like it

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Her bedroom looks lovely - stylish and colourful at the same time. And those fairy lights are great! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The room looks so bright and cozy! Beautiful colourful frames (and content, the royal wedding is wonderful!). The fairy lights and the bedside cabinet are great! I wish I had such a room when I was little. As I am very partial to the shoebox project, I love the fact the it is on display and easily accessable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Astonishing makeover! It also seems like not a costly way of doing it, and affordable :) Thanks for inspiring and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh that's lovely Gillian. Such nice little details! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this room. I love the fairy lights and the painted frames. And I did chuckle at your admission of tidying up Blella's shop and enjoying it! I would have done too! You are so good at just getting on with it. I am still trying to get the conservatory/playroom finished. I'll let you into a secret....I'm not sure about the colour, but Marc will hit the roof if I admit it now!!!!!

    Great post, as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Gillian, A room for a princess!!!!Love the fairy lights and pom pom details!!!Little details like that makes the world of difference!!!And often they are also the most inexpensive!!!Kids do need a desk and what a lovely desk it is with the pink edge!!!Very nice!!! Have a great weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  24. So bright and pretty! I love the blanket on her bed. I bet she can't wait to spend time in there x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Gillian what an amazing job you've done. I don't know where to start, the painted picture frames are so cute and I love the arrangement and also the pretty amazing pic of the royal wedding, love!! The fairy lights look gorgeous I'm saving up for some too. Your little chair looks so cute and I can't stop looking at the shop, oh my it's beyond wonderful!!! You've done very well my dear, I am suitably impressed. I have used spray paints in the past but I find they don't last very long, what's your experience and what do you use?? Well done lovely!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you. I used Painter's Touch just because I liked the range of colours they had, but there were other brands in B&Q where I bought it. I don't know how long they will last - I'm hoping because they're hung on a wall they shouldn't get too chipped or bashed. :-)

      Delete
  26. You've done a brilliant job, what a lovely bedroom, I bet Bella loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really love what you have done with Bella's room, it looks fabulous. I adore the Pom Pom garland and those fairy lights are just lovely.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bella is a lucky girl! I like his little shop. Happy weekend Gillian!!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks wonderful, it's amazing how a little splash of colour here and there can really lift a room. Can I come and play shop? ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great space you've made for Bella :)

    My studio looks like an ad for IKEA, if I could just find a day to move the last of the boxes out I'd show everyone. I think if you want a quick practical solution to storage needs they can't be beaten.

    ReplyDelete
  31. How sweet...She will really enjoy this room...so much fun to be had there!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Herbert bedroom is looking fab! Little Bea was convinced when I shuffled her bedroom around I'd made it bigger! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful room, so cheery with all those details and so blinking tidy - tell me it's not still that tidy!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a bright and cheery bedroom. I love the colourful frames and itty-bitty pieces of art. I love how it adds a personal touch to your little lady's room. Bella is a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely transformation, what a great job!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great makeover, wouldn't expect anything less with your flair for these things and Bella's creative touches too, love her picture gallery.
    And I agree about those lights, very eye catching.
    Thanks for the link to the IKEA site for the filing cabinet, T is asking for one for his room.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well done it looks great! I love the fairy lights, the desk (need to get one of those for my 6 year old!) and i love the picture wall - how sweet is that royal wedding drawing!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's really gorgeous Gillian, all of it... But I have to say; Bella's royal portrait is absolutely BRILLIANT! So funny and so characterful... I think you should send them a copy of it on her behalf and see if she gets a letter back from Kate... an artist in the making x

    ReplyDelete
  39. so cute, what a lovely space! x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I really love the white with a peppering of pinks and other colours. Hoping to move this year and the twins will finally have their own rooms, and already little miss is insisting on a pink princess theme, yikes! I'm thinking more your style. Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's gorgeous! You always do such a wonderful job on your makeovers. Bella's "Royal Wedding" is fantastic :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  42. It looks really lovely. Girly and pretty without being too pink which is often the way with girls rooms. I love the pom pom fairy lights, the group of pictures and the pom pom garland too. I really need to get on and finish our little F's room. It's nearly done but needs a good sort out of toys and we need to add some detail to a mural we've painted. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is one very smart room. Will she keep it that tidy?!
    I'm coveting the shop. I'd spend ages sorting that out.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Bella's room is perfect now, amazing how the pictures added interest and personality to the space. She's a lucky girl, x

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is such a cute, girly little room! I'm in my 30's and I think I could probably be happy in a room like this.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I blog often and I genuinely appreciate your content. Your article has truly
    peaked my interest. I will bookmark your website and
    keep checking for new details about once a week. I subscribed to your Feed too.


    My site :: Nana Necklaces; ,

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.