Thursday 11 April 2013

Souvenirs

Life has returned to normal this week. On Monday I talked John into a spot of decorating, and on the last day of his leave too, I am unkind to that long-suffering man. What should've been a simple job (re-paint the pink wall white, and touch up any scuffs on the other three white walls) turned into an nightmare when we discovered that one brand of pure brilliant white was not the same colour as the other brand we'd used. How is white not just white? Much swearing under the breath ensued but it's done now, and looking fresh and clean. I'll share photos later in the week. Then there has been washing, and more washing; it's my punishment for going away and being carefree. The tyranny of laundry. And a pile of ironing that grows and grows, and housework, and small people to entertain, although that bit is fun.

So it's been extra lovely to unpack my treasures from our trip away and admire them and then decide where in the home they will live, for now.

This happy chappy is my birthday present from John. Remember when it was my birthday back in February he gave me a voucher for a gift of my choice in Copenhagen? I love this bird by the Danish designer Kay Bojesen. I spent ages deciding on which colour but in the end chose this bright and cheerful combination, perfect against the grey wall in the living room.


Dala horses! I love these. I think they are actually a Swedish folk craft but I saw them in lots of shops and well, what's not to love? Inexpensive too - the larger white one was bought for about £8 from Illums Bolighus (the most incredible shop - four floors of Danish design for the home. I was in heaven) - and the smaller red horse was bought for about £3.50 from the tacky airport gift shop. I don't care, I still love it.


Egg cups! Who doesn't need egg cups? These wooden ones are called bordfolk which translates to "table people". They were widely used in Denmark in the 60's and 70's then fell out of fashion until they were recently resurrected by designer Lucie Kaas. Of course four was absolutely necessary and I chose one for each of us; I'm the brunette in yellow, John is the blonde in the dashing knitted jumper, then our two brunette children in pink and green.

Of course, these wont actually be used for egg cups. No. That's crazy. They'd get dirty! We've got lots of ceramic and plastic ones in the cupboard. These are to be admired and played with. 


And a rather attractive print of Copenhagen, needing a frame, but lovely nonetheless. It's by the Danish company Ferm Living who I hadn't heard of until about a year ago, and now I see that John Lewis stocks some of their wares, but sadly not the small pink wire basket that I am obsessed and want to store my yarn in.


And of course there were gifts for the children, thoughtfully chosen Lego and sticker books and Moomin cups, which have been largely ignored in favour of the plastic Copenhagen snow globes we bought at the airport.

So there are my souvenirs. Chosen with a budget in mind, pieces that will brighten up our home and make me happy when I look at them, pieces full of memories and a strong sense of the country we so loved visiting.


44 comments:

  1. I love your new found treasures my favourite are your egg cups - worth the trip just for them- adorable x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely souvenirs to have as memories of your trip. I love looking round our house and spotting all the things we've picked up on holidays and day trips. I really like the Copenhagen poster - the design is lovely - and those egg cups are fantastic. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful purchases! I loved Dala horses (I thought they were Swedish too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that poster! Those egg cups are pretty spiffy too. Well chosen gifts all round x by the way your home always looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous souvenirs Gillian ... I would be hard pressed to choose a favourite ... I love the print and the little wooden egg cups ... I have a little ceramic version I bought last year ... your wooden ones are much, much nicer though ... so glad you had a wonderful time and I loved your photos on your last post ... have a wonderful weekend ... Bee xx

    PS Don't worry about that laundry ... I haven't even been anywhere and I have a virtual mountain of it here ;) ... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful souvenirs to remind you of a lovely trip. I think my favourites have to be the egg cups, such fun to choose lookie likey little people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gillian, what lovely treasures to bring home with you. Gorgeous reminders of your time away. Love doing this too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very much like our house, lots of under the breath mutterings, Mr Bea HATES DIY! Those egg cups are great and I absolutely love that print! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh lovely choices, especially love those egg cups and the poster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous souvenirs of your lovely trip. I adore the egg cups and you are right, far too nice to actually use for boiled eggs!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The egg cups are lovely, quite right not to use them - it would be a crime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great souvenir choices! Not your typical pencil and ugly tee-shirt!! I love the print. Very graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well they have to be just about the cutest egg cups in existence!
    Love the print, what a beautiful reminder of your special trip with your man.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your souvenirs are wonderful! I love the Dala horses and egg cups; well, I love all of it. I think they work beautifully with the picture I have in my head of your home. You have really great taste in decor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the egg cups and love the Copenhagen print. I love Ferm living, hadn't realised that was a Danish company..
    Nice to have little reminders at home of your wonderful week there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love them all. I always enjoy the holiday souvenir buying (even the last minute flurry at the airport).

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely souvenirs Gillian. I love them all, especially the print. I love that kind of thing.

    (I have always wanted a Moomin mug too... )

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the Bojesen songbird 'POP', really cool, also the poster is wonderful!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely treasures. So funny that you have bought the four lovely egg cups as my Little H was bought one of them by Lucie Kass on Sunday from my Sis for his Christening. I didn't realise they were a Danish design or that there are others available. The one bought for Little H is a brunette with a blue and white stripe top and anchor. Very nautical looking. He'll probably we featuring in a blog post next week. I love them. I think we need to add to the collection. I agree with you though that they are far too lovely to mess up with egg yolk! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful souvenirs, I love the egg cups super sweet!! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great souvenirs and especially the bird - he reminds me of a parrot! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are lovely pieces. I love the horses and the poster and the egg cups!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your souvenirs and they sort of remind me of being Scandinavian Retro.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As always you show amazing taste! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the print. Every time you pass it, it will remind you of your wonderful time away.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  26. That bird! Those egg cups! Glad you had such a fab trip.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That bird! Those egg cups! Glad you had such a fab trip.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What lovely reminders of what sounds a super trip! Love your birthday bird - he is gorgeous! E x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Denmark. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful treasures! I love danish design... one day I'll get as far as Copenhagen. Are you sure that basket will be big enough for your wool stash? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. What wonderful finds - I want the egg cups!! Hope the tyranny of laundry (such an accurate expression) will soon be over - Helen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those pieces are so cute and pretty.

    And yeah
    there are so many shades of white
    as I've learned the hard way too years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love, love, love what you brought back. But then you are so stylish I knew I would. The Danes do it so well!

    Oh and yes the white issue, we had the same in the hall!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love all of your souvenirs...so lovely! And I know that every time you look at them you will think back on your wonderful holiday! The print of Copenhagen is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooh so many treasures! How beautiful those dala horses are. I like the bird too, the colours are great. X

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the blue and white dala horse best myself. Almost worth visiting Copenhagen just to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your souvenirs - especially the print.

    ReplyDelete
  38. So cute I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the souvenirs! I love having stuff like that to remember trips by x

    ReplyDelete
  40. what a lovely post Gillian. I love the wooden crafts, the horses and the egg cups! It's such a big part of it, bringing back the momentoes and scattering them around. I was thrilled to read your Copenhagen posts. I want to go! visiting cities around Europe is definitely on my must do list. And I love the idea of a travelling companion on holiday and through life, so sweet! Must find one!! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  41. such lovely things, love that print and the egg cups too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Absolutely LOVE all the goodies that you found travelling but especially those egg cup people. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  43. I was able to find good information from your articles.


    my blog post: games provide, ,

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.