Thursday 18 April 2013

Salade Nicoise


I always associate this dish with long lunches in French cafes on holiday, when in truth I probably only ate it once or twice in France, and about one hundred times at home. This is one of my favourite meals to eat when it looks like summer might be on it's way. Big lunch or light supper, it's an easy and rewarding dish that never disappoints. I don't know if my version is an authentic salade nicoise; I use gem lettuce, tinned tuna, eggs, new potatoes, green beans, black olives, tomatoes and anchovies. Some use capers - I don't, but not for any particular reason. I quite like capers.  Some use tuna or anchovies, but not both. Some add onions - I don't as I think the flavour dominates too much. I like my potatoes, green beans and eggs to be warm, so I cook them right before I eat this, rather than straight-from-the-fridge cold. If you wanted to make this with a little more ceremony, it would be nice to sear some fresh tuna instead of using tinned.

It's a recipe of handfuls, really - just increase or decrease depending on appetite and preferences. For two people, I would use:

1 gem lettuce
a handful of new potatoes, maybe 6 or 8 little ones per person
some green beans
3 eggs
1 tin of tuna
a couple of tomatoes, sliced, or a handful of cherry tomatoes
some black olives
3 or 4 anchovies, chopped

Boil the new potatoes and green beans until they are cooked. Drain and set to one side. Boil the eggs - I like mine with the yolks still a little soft (although they are a little too soft in the photo above!). Wash and tear the lettuce, and wash and chop the tomatoes. Open the tin of tuna and drain. Cover your bowl or plate with a bed of lettuce, then roughly arrange all the other ingredients on top.  I make a simple French dressing for this: olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a smidge of sugar, shaken well in a jam jar. Drizzle over the salad and eat. 

******************************************************

Thanks for your brilliant, brilliant comments on my last post about children's bedrooms. So many good ideas and suggestions for storage (an issue for all parents it would seem!) and ways to create a room that will grow with the child. I realise I didn't mention Angus or his room at all. Angus has the "box room", that tiny third bedroom that so many British houses have, the room that we always used as a nursery. Big enough for a single bed, a couple of pieces of furniture and not a lot else. It's not an issue now as he tends to spend most of his time playing downstairs, where most of his toys are, and often he plays in Bella's room with her toys. His room is mainly for sleeping, which is ok as he's still little. But I'm aware that his needs will change too, and I'm sure that in a year's time I'll be tearing my hair out wondering how to make him a fun space to play and sleep in. I think the answer might be a cabin bed.

25 comments:

  1. Yum. One of my favourite salads (in that it has lots of substance!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just made a pizza but I wish I had made this instead. I also love the way the French plonk a poached egg on top of salads. I used to think it very bizarre but it actually works really well. Enjoy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel hungry - I will have to check my fridge to see if I have all the ingredients. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, that looks delicious, made more so by your beautiful photography as always. I only wish I'd seen it before I started making tea. Maybe tomorrow. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree your photos look good enough to eat .. Your salad does too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salad nicoise is one of my favourite salads (I love tuna and boiled eggs) so thank you for this great recipe - and illustrated with beautiful images too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the mood and taste for food changes with the seasons ... changing now to spring and summer food ... your salad looks delicious ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this salad. Your version looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! This looks so fresh and delicious...it says summer to me! And yes, very beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks completely delicious if I hadn't already eaten I would be very tempted. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, that looks delicious. The photographs are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ths looks gorgeous, and I've decided what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!

    Thanks for sharing ...

    Love, Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um, yes. This looks delicious and healthy and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just popping over at lunchtime if that's ok......:) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this dish also, I do forget to make it in the winter for some reason? The eggs are cooked just perfectly! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Ivan x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so delish, particularly your photos make it look so good. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gillian! It looks delicious. It's a perfect summer salad. Enjoy the weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmmm I love salade nicoise! I haven't made it for a while so thanks for the idea, I shall be making it very soon!
    Have a happy week end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so delish
    and I think it is so healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Salade Nicoise is my favourite... And I completely agree with you about it being so synonymous with summer! Gorgeous photos Gillian as ever... x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Must try the salad one day, but now our weather has turned it maybe next summer. I'ts on 6deg at the moment.( 7am )
    The bunk bed for Angus with a desk under would be great when he is older.

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my favourites, but I skip the olives (although I also use olive oil in the dressing) so my version should probably be called something totally different!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a very delicious salad I love black olives, but nobody likes in my family, thanks for sharing and hugs from Jerez (Spain)

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not only does the salad look good, but the background ... is that a tablecloth, a poster, or a painting with the herbs and olives and fig? Like you, I like some warm salads, too. Nothing tastes good when icy, straight from the fridge, except ice cream and chilled beer or wine.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Definitely consider that that you stated. Your favourite justification seemed
    to be at the net the simplest thing to keep in mind of.

    I say to you, I definitely get irked while folks consider worries that they just don't realize about.

    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as neatly as outlined out the
    entire thing without having side-effects , other people could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

    Also visit my blog - Animas Online Hack

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.