Tuesday 9 April 2013

Copenhagen

I fear this post should really come with a warning: Indulgent Post Alert! Photo Overload! Please bear with me. When my friend Abigail asked if I'd had a good time away, I said yes, it was amazing, wonderful! She said, was it wonderful because it was Copenhagen, or was it wonderful because it was a holiday and a break from everyday life? Well, it was both. It was so good to have that time with just John, being a couple, holding hands while we wandered around and enjoying long, leisurely meals together without asking for the children's menus. But is was also good because we went to Copenhagen, a truly lovely city that we had never visited before. A city small enough to walk everywhere but bustling and energetic enough to feel that you were somewhere else, somewhere vibrant. Here are my impressions, the best bits, the things I want to remember and share with you...

Blue skies: We were blessed with gorgeous weather and the sun shone constantly throughout our trip (which was just as well as it was rather cold).


Bikes: Oh, how the Danes love their bikes! I've never been to a more cycle-friendly city. Huge, wide bike-lanes dominate the roads; flights of steps have special bike rails so that you can easily wheel your bike up and down; at rush hour we saw as many bikes as cars queuing at traffic lights. And no-one wears a helmet and everyone seems to cycle in their normal clothes while looking impossibly chic and not breaking a sweat.

Hotel: A (very comfortable) room with a view of buildings, flags and sky, a view I loved to look out on each morning.



Borgen! Or the Danish parliament, Christiansborg Slot, to those not so obsessed with the Danish drama series as I.


Cafe culture: Tables outside cafes are full even when it's chilly. If the sun shines, people seem to sit outside regardless - cafes owners even put blankets on chairs for their customers to use.


SmrrØebrØd: Mmm, smØrrebrØd, the delicious open sandwich of rye bread, salmon, herring, eggs, pototoes and all manner of other lovely toppings, commonly served at lunchtime. Totally delicious.


Nyhavn: This picture-postcard area is full of cafes and restaurants which manage to cater for wealthy tourists while retaining some Scandinavian charm. We bought hot dogs from a van, sat on the quayside and people watched.


And very nice it was too.


Cranes: Much of the city seems to be under construction with cranes and building works at ever corner. I liked the yellow crane against the blue sky.


Cake: Oh, the cakes! Seriously, the Danish make good cakes. Really good.


Trees: There was little sign of spring on the trees, hardly a bud in sight.


Frozen: And the sea was frozen! Actually frozen! I had never seen this before - I guess it's an indication of how cold Scandinavian winters can get.


Buildings: The architecture is stunning, a mixture of old and grand, very modern...


...and very soviet, fortress-like design. The advert below is for travel insurance, I believe.


Flags: Oh, flags were everywhere! On every building and mast and corner, it seemed. I tried to remember if you see this many union flags in London; I suspect you probably do.


John: My travelling companion, on holiday and in life.


Tourist: We had such fun doing touristy things, seeing the sights - The Little Mermaid (she's certainly little!), Amalienborg, home of the Danish Royal Family, and watching the changing of the guard. I was struck by how similar some of these traditions felt to British ones.


Post: We didn't send any postcards, but I did like the postboxes very much.


Water: Copenhagen is a city of bridges, canals and waterways, and views and photo opportunities abound. 


Hot chocolate: Oh my, and what a hot chocolate it was, which is just as well since it cost about £8 in a very posh cafe. John did say Hmm, what a clever idea, charging people double for what is essentially a do-it-yourself drink.


The Round Tower: A spiral, sloping, cobblestone walk to the top rewards you with panoramic views over the roof tops. 


Streetlamps: Oh I got such a kick out of these! I took about fifteen photos of them. The Danes are just so stylish that their streetlamps are pendants which would not look out of place in a trendy magazine, suspended by wires over the middle of each street (trainers not available on every road).


Beer: It's delicious and everyone drinks it.


Tivoli Gardens: What the guidebook declared was the sight to see in Copenhagen was sadly closed for winter until mid-April. We had to make do with looking at the gate.


Are you still with me? Well done if you made it to the end. What else...it's very friendly, and everyone speaks English which was a relief as it turns out I'm not fluent in Danish after all, despite feeling that I really ought to be after all the hours of Danish drama I've watched recently. The residents of Copenhagen are a stylish bunch and make a winter coat, hat and scarf look like something you'd want to wear year round. It seems a very baby and child friendly place, even the bikes have these brilliant attachments for safely peddling little ones around the city. Eating and drinking out is pretty expensive in the main tourist areas, but cheaper the further out you get. The cost of things, and the fact that the Danish Design Museum was closed for refurbishment, were the only downsides to an otherwise pretty perfect holiday. And I bought some lovely souvenirs! They deserve a post of their own I feel. 

49 comments:

  1. Oh, what a beautiful pictures. Denmark is not far from the Netherlands but I've never really been there. Some photos are a bit humorous (those shoes on those threads - how do they come there) The houses are characteristic and I love the mermaid. But the picture with the large beer is very special and beautiful. Thank you: I could enjoy your trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it looks lovely - I'd love to visit there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought I'd like to visit Copenhagen without knowing much about it. You've described and photographed it beautifully and it looks amazing. I can't get over the density of bikes xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating post! Your photos are so nice, I feel like I was really there. Nyhavn is exactly what I imagine when I think of Europe in general, isn't that weird? I don't know why, I think it's the way the buildings are all side by side and the fronts are flush with each other. I must have seen something like that in a book as a child. Funny about what John said when you had the cocoa...my husband says the same thing about fondue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tak! ;)
    This is a wonderful post, now I definitely know I want to go there. The amount of bikes is amazing. And I loved the photo with the roofs view.
    And it seems astonishing after the Danish series, that they've got sun after all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like an absolutely lovely trip. Blue skies must have been such a bonus as well. I visited Copenhagen when I was about 7 and have a strong desire to return. It looks so civilised...and clean...and yummy! I hope you're not suffering form post-holiday want-to-go-away-again; it's the one thing I hate about coming home. That and the washing/ironing! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos and it looks like a great city. I've never been - maybe one day! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your photos are lovely. I would love to go there. You and your hubby looked so happy in the photos. I am glad you included those along with all the Danish loveliness. I am looking forward to seeing your souveneir post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There, It looks like you had a fabulous time and thank you!!! now I also know what Copenhagen looks like!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Gillian
    It looks like you had a wonderful time and your photos are fabulous, bringing lots of elements of Danish life together. I look forward to seeing the souvenirs!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. But what a gate it is! Fantastic photos - I feel like I've been there with you! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness how beautiful. I love Scandinavian cities. So lovely that just the two of you could escape away together for a while, so important xxx Penny

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, gorgeous photos Gillian! Looks like you had an amazing time... and that hot chocolate looks delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just lovely Gillian! Looks like you both had an amazing holiday. Thanks for sharing it with us! I could really go for that delicious hot dog and yummy beer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A brilliant post Gillian, and fantastic pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us - your little holiday looked gorgeous.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a great time. I love the photo of the coloured houses by the waterside and, of course, the cakes and hot chocolate! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks gorgeous. I love seeing how different countries live day to day and live how different we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those pictures! Must add Copenhagen to our cities to visit list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The stuff you can buy in Copenhagen is fab so look forward to those pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gillian, thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday with us.Your photos are stunning and it was so nice to get a flavour of the city like this.
    Cheers :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm SO glad you took us all alway to Copenhagen, Gillian! Thank you. I've always been tempted by this city but the idea of a few days without our darling children and away from the humdrum is even more delicious! We had a weekend alone in November (for my birthday) and it was such a pleasure ordering venison in wine sauce with a really good red wine and not having to pay for three other little treasures too. It makes you doubly pleased to return to your happy home afterwards too :-)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  22. What gorgeous photographs and not self-indulgent at all, I love all the pictures and hearing about what you got up to, I'm so glad you both had a great time and thank you for bringing us all a little slice of sunny and bright Copenhagen! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Copenhagen is somewhere I really want to go and you've just made me want to go even more. Definitely on my travel wish list! Thanks for sharing your lovely trip with us. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds like a great week, I'm glad you enjoyed you break. I've not been to many places at all so I enjoyed seeing Copenhagen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great to see the pictures. So Glad you and John had such a good time, still enjoying each other and finding new places together

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks lovely Gillian, and am so glad you have refreshing break.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks lie you both had a fantastic time! I love all of your pictures, they are brilliant. I really want to go to Copenhagen now! Can't wait to see your souvenirs....
    M xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my - Copenhagen looks so gorgeous...over indulgence is absolutely necessary.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful photos. Looks as if you had a super time and that you had great weather too.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh it looks lovely, I so want to go! love your sunny photos x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous Gillian! Loved all the photos and I feel like you've taken me on a little mental holiday. it's so great you had such a lovely time with the Mr. And to think that a fellow Tasmanian will be the Queen of that lovely country one day....x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing. Amazing to see frozen sea, brrr! I would love to see the little mermaid one day, and the rest of the city, it is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gillian, thanks for taking us along this beautiful journey! Now I want to go to Europe so so much more than I used to! Denmark seems like a very friendly and calm place to go... I liked your comment about Soviet style ad :)hehe
    I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! More to come, isn't it?
    Have a great day!
    Anna
    P.S. oh yea..all the food items look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So lovely that you had a wonderful holiday, isn't it a beautiful place.
    Reconnecting time is always so important.
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous photos, the frozen sea & bright blue skies. Love the café culture they have and those cakes....

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely jealous. And looking forward to seeing the souvenirs! Tak!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What lovely images so enchanting I feel like I have had my own mini break - thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  38. It looks fabulous. The wonderful time you've had comes across in your post. I've never seen frozen sea before, it must be cold.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Simply wonderful... love the red post box pic ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great pictures.
    Seems like you had the time of your life.
    My daughter has been for ever asking us to go there (she's into Danish guys because of their language)

    Interested in a giveaway?http://homeiswherethedachshundis.blogspot.be

    Le Thé Dachshund Grey est arrivé!
    Limited Edition.
    (what else?)

    At 101 followers the handmade tea bags in powder pastel fabrics Dachshund Grey Special Edition will be given away to a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks incredible! So glad to hear you had a great time. The skies sure look pretty and blue...and that frozen sea photo! Bet it was an amazing sight.

    Look forward to seeing what souvenirs you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Colour me green!!! I loved this post ... just enough photos to be fascinating and a great commentary ... I even more sure I'd love to visit Denmark now ... you should work for Danish tourism ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful looking city - right up my alley. Scandinavians make everything look divine! (the Dutch too!)

    ReplyDelete
  44. It looks like a great place, you have made me want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  45. A great travel post - I really enjoyed your photos.
    Another city for my ever growing wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Did I tell you that Danny kaye's wonderful wonderful Copenhagen post has been in my head for days since reading this post.....;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.