Friday 9 November 2012

My Rainy Day Scarf


Well hello! I have a little project to show you today - a very colourful crocheted granny square scarf.

This project was born of my need (and yes it was a need!) for a really super-bright scarf to wear with my black raincoat, bought on a cold and wet day in July in the summer sales. It was supposed to be ready for autumn as it's not really a snuggly cold weather scarf, but I don't appear to crochet fast enough. I chose cotton yarn (so that you don't get that wet wool smell) and made it very long. I really like crocheting in a limited colour palate - I think it shows off the simplicity of the stitches better. This scarf is made up of black, white, grey and hot pink yarn. The pink looks salmon in some shots and orange in others (I blame that November light, not my lack of photography skills), but trust me, it is the most glorious hot, hot pink.

This is my second foray into the world of crocheted scarves, inspired by this one I mad over the summer for a friend. I changed a few details - I added another square and gave the whole scarf a border, and sewed on a fringe instead of tassels - so much quicker and easier! I am converted. I see many more fringed scarves in my future...

*********************************************

For anyone interested, I used Arnell Cotton yarn and a number 3 hook. I made 13 squares (each square was 8 rounds) and sewed them together, then added a border in triple stitch, then fringe at the bottom of each chain stitch.

29 comments:

  1. LOVE this. I am such a sucker for big scarves and absolutely hate my neck being cold. This one looks fab. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the colours. Think I might need a project like this.... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matches perfectly! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect for this chilly autumn weather! Gillian, you are clever! Is Angus better? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So gorgeous and I love the hot pink with the black! This scarf is sure to brighten up a cold, rainy day! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooer missus ... they'll see you coming in that these dark mornings! Love it Gillian ... it's stylish and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cheery scarf for this dull weather we are having at the moment. I hope it gets lots of wear and keeps you warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I wish I could crochet! Love the scarf and the colours.
    Have a great weekend.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful scarf - crocheting looks terribly complicated though, you're v clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your scarf is gorgeous! Such pretty colours too. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty, pretty scarf. Loving the colours, they make quite a wow against your black coat - brilliant you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely scarf and wonderful colours,perfect for this weather.
    have a great weekend,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh lovely! I made one last year. Bright and cheery! Love the colours and tassles. Splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your scarf looks great, nice colours choice too sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your crochet is lovely. You must be really pleased, I would be. Might have a go at one of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gillian! Is there no end to your talents? I LOVE this - Missoni eat your heart out.... Just gorgeous :-) Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your scarf is absolutely beautiful! I agree - limiting the colour palette is very effective indeed. I always end up using too many colours somehow - must try to be more disciplined! I love the fringe finish too - works so well with the mixed colours from the scarf all together. It's a perfect accessory for your raincoat too - very stylish as well as cosy! E x

    ReplyDelete
  18. The scarf is gorgeous and I love the colour combination! When you said you'd made a granny square scarf, I thought it was the Mollie Makes one but this is much much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's brilliant Gillian, I love the colours. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty ... just right for the dreary winter days ... cheerful and bright ... love the colours ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never thought I'd live to see the day when crochet, yes crochet, was fashionable! This is gor-geous!!!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the color combination that you have used. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow that's amazing, love your colours xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all, so much - I did enjoy reading your comments! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this scarf. The colors are perfect together. I've just started making granny squares again after 30 years of not remembering that I knew how. A friend re-taught me so I'm back in grannyville. You've inspired me to make a scarf as my next project. I may steal your color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you are going for finest contents like I do, simply visit
    this web site all the time since it provides feature contents, thanks

    Feel free to surf to my page buying a car with bad credit
    my site :: buying a car with bad credit,buy a car with bad credit,how to buy a car with bad credit,buying a car,buy a car,how to buy a car

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.