Wednesday 14 November 2012

Some Bunting Bags (Mollie Make Magazine)


I promised I would show you my latest make from Mollie Makes magazine, and here it is...bunting bags. Trying as I am to make one thing from each issue (I am running about five issues behind at the moment, but anyway, moving on...) this little bunting design caught my eye. The pattern is intended for a summer skirt, something to be worn at jubilee fairs and the like, but I thought it would look sweet on a plain calico bag. I'll be honest - it was a bit of a fiddle. Projects like this remind me why I love to hand sew rather than sit hunched over a sewing machine. Tense does not begin to describe my posture while making these tiny flags. But they do look pretty and flap very nicely.

And they inspired me to make some quick and easy applique bunting bags, just perfect for an evening of light sewing in front of the television.


I am hoping to sell these at the craft fairs I mentioned. Any that don't sell will go into the  emergency present drawer. 

I also made eight little bags for small people (well, girls, clearly) and again, any unsold will have some stickers, hair slides and sweets popped inside them and will make handy  (and cheap!) birthday presents. 


Did you notice how I am cleverly preparing myself for not selling much stuff? Craft stalls can be a tricky business and pricing is hard to gauge. Too high a price and people will think "I'm not paying that, I could make that myself!"; too low and it's just not worth the effort involved. But if I can give my makes away as gifts then I tell myself that I've saved money so it's all ok! But really, i do this because I love to make things. Simple as that.

Tomorrow I have for your delectation...handmade t-shirts for girls and boys, some tea towels and other bits and bobs I have made.  Until then, my friends. xx

28 comments:

  1. These are stunning! They really are xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they are lovely. I hope they sell well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look brilliant. Hope you sell lots and the present drawer is emptied!!!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you've been busy, they are gorgeous! I'm sure you'll sell loads - who could resist? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them, so cute, love bunting. I like the fallback idea too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely Gillian ... I remember the faff turning the little flags on the little top I made ... not something I would be bothered repeating ... hope you sell all your beautiful makes ... the applique bunting is a great idea ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! You are uper-super-duper clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these Gillian! I don't think you'll have the slightest difficulty selling them so the only problem you may have is no additions to your emergency present drawer! Your appliqué is so beautiful and your stitching so neat and those tiny flags may have been a fiddle to make but so worth the professional result you've got! Happy stitching! E x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love them, think they'll be a sellout! Love the little girl's bags too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. There will be people pushing to get to your stand, really beautiful and so cheerful, well done! You are very talented.
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete

  11. I love those little bags!! Do you sell them anywhere apart from craft fairs? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, just craft fairs. I can't get my head around anything more organised than that at the moment!

      Delete
  12. Gillian, they are totally fabulous in every way. I'd be over the moon to have one as a birthday present with stickers in and I can't be classed as a small person!
    I hope the fair goes really well and I'm looking forward to seeing your other makes.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Gillian
    Congratulations - I think they are lovely. I think you will have no trouble selling them at the craft fair.
    Best of luck with it - hope it goes well.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely little bags, yes big on the faffing, but they do look so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are fantastic - they will fly off the shelves. You have been so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them all especially the little bags! You should totally open an Etsy shop! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gillian, they are so cute. I am going to have a go at some similar bags for a fundraising project, but I am sure they will not look quite as professional as yours. You sure are one gifted lady!! good luck with the fair! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're wonderful, I absolutely love them. I'm sure you won't need to worry about giving any as presents, it'll be a sell out, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Gillian,
    I love your bags! They'll sell like hot cakes!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you know what I think the second lot that you hand stitched look amazing. You will do very well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are the sweetest little bags...especially the bunting one! I would totally buy from you! Absolutely gorgeous work, Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you saved some fabric to make more because none of these will be going back into your present drawer! They're all gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Look how busy you've been... elving away!! They all look stunning, you'll have no trouble selling them :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Once again I'm in awe! They look divine - open an online shop, please!,

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gillian these are great. All of them - I LOVE the little apple bags, perfect for housing all kinds of girly trinkets. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are fantasitc Gillian! I am so impressed. Are you hand stitching these or doing them with the machine?

    I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks. :-)

      I used the machine for the first one, with the "flappy" bunting, but hand stitched the three with the applique bunting.

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.