Friday 23 November 2012

Thrifty Wall Art


I know, I know, it's not original. But it's so pretty!

I've seen fabric framed in embroidery hoops like this everywhere in blogland, on Pinterest, in magazines, and it's popularity lies in it's simplicity and thriftiness. We needed some colour above the sofa in the living room. Grey walls, grey sofa...it's was all getting a bit dismal in the cool November light. I bought small amounts of fabric from Liberty and John Lewis and aimed for a slightly fifties, retro feel to tie in with the room and our tastes. I don't have the deep pockets to buy metres and metres of expensive fabric, but I'm good at buying a fiver's worth and making it go a really long way.

It's not finished. I will add to it over time and let it just grow organically, like a great big happy fabric tree, but I just wanted to show you today.

You just need to carefully cut your fabric to about 1 inch or 3 cm more than your hoop size. Once it's in the frame and you've tightened it, you can either trim the excess fabric with pinking shears, or thread a simple running stitch around the edge and pull it tight and knot. The main thing is that the hoop sits flush against the wall.

***************************************

Happy belated Thanksgiving to my American friends and readers! I hope you had a wonderful day.

Tomorrow is 24th November which means it is one month until Christmas Eve!! I don't know about you, but I still have an awful lot of crafting and shopping and list writing to do before then. But tomorrow I have a very quick and easy Christmas craft project to share with you, something that takes (almost) no time at all but will hopefully make you feel festive and happy.

Thanks for being here and reading and commenting. I've said it before and I'll say it again - you are all very lovely. And a big hello and warm welcome to my new followers - it's good to have you here. 




31 comments:

  1. Only one word comes to mind - gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous Gillian! Think I may have to try that myself sometime. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gillian
    What a great idea for using material that you love but don't have that much of. The collection really adds that little burst of colour.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love this Gillian ... I spied this idea too ... and mentally filed it away ... it is so effective ... like little mini works of art ... I really like the blue floral fabric ... enjoy your weekend ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just perfect! I love it! We did have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I am still so full from all the yummy food I ate yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I have some catching up to do...Lovely lavender sachets, scrumptious looking cake and just loved the kiddie in the puddle (Oh the memories! 'Baby' son now 32!). The frames were a nifty idea! I seem to recall learning in Art school the most priceless masterpieces were also the smallest...Big applaud from the Pacific NW coast and blessings to all,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I have some catching up to do! Lovely lavender sachets, scrumptious looking cake and loved the kiddie in the puddle (memories! 'Baby' son now 32!)
    Nifty idea for the frames. I seem to recall Art school taught us that often priceless masterpieces came in small packages.
    30 days to Christmas Eve? It goes so fast!
    Blessings to all,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thrifty wall! I love it!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this looks great. Really colourful. I espcially love the blanket on your sofa. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just perfect, love it, jxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think these look great. Love that greeny blue print on top row to the right. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I think it might have been here that I read about the Pre Raphs exhibition. I haven't really looked at them properly for over 20 years when I did my A Levels but they were stunning. I pre-booked but had no idea I'd be queuing/shuffling around the rooms, it was so crowded.
    Have a good weekend
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks lovely! These arrangements are popular I'm sure because they are so effective, but the choice of fabrics is all and yours really is a great combination :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning & simple. I love the way you've put this room together - it's sophisticated yet cosy. Btw I've joined your site rounding you up neatly to 150 followers & added you to my side bar's 'Wise Words'. Happy weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the simplicity and elegance of this and presumably you can ring the changes fairly easily if you want to change the fabrics? Seasonal or mood art as well as thrifty! E x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really good idea...I see you stalk the John Lewis fabric department and crave the same fabrics as me! How come the ones we like are SO expensive?? It looks fab :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving your colourway/combo it looks really fun and vibrant, you get to appreciate the fabric design like this too. As you said, a month today...
    Ivan;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks really good, love the fabrics you've chosen. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look great, I don't think there are that many original ideas, but we all put our own individual spin on them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it looks lovely - beautiful prints.

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks fabulous - beautiful fabric choices too. Once again, I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really, really lovely.I love the idea that you'll add to it as time goes on. Such a beautiful idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! It looks great with your sofa too...I'm wiahing I could pick it up and recreate it in my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. ....ever so pretty. I have fabric envy - in a lovely way.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely way to showcase gorgeous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is beautiful. What a clever idea. I love the colours you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this idea! And I really like that you can keep easily adding to the display whenever you'd like. It looks great over the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A lovely retro display. And such a great budget way to add colour and interest to the wall. Fab!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.