Tuesday 27 November 2012

52 Weeks of Happy...7/52

Hello everyone! Happy Tuesday. It is cold and wet here and much of the UK seems to be under water. It's all rather depressing, so thank goodness for 52 Weeks of Happy to keep me smiling. Thank you for the response to my Christmas Stocking post, I so enjoyed reading about all your different traditions and rituals. I had a little flicker of excitement in my tummy yesterday when I went up into the loft to dig out the advent calendar...not long now!

Firstly, my photos - I'm sorry. It's very, very gloomy. Sunlight is scarce and proper daylight only seems to be between 9am and 3pm, and this is reflected in my pictures. So, joining in with the lovely Jen at little birdie, here are my current (and poorly photographed) happy things:


1. Angus made this tealight candle holder at nursery (they have been learning about Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights) and he gave it to me yesterday. It is perfect.

2. Reading The Cat In The Hat with Bella. Her reading is coming along so well and she is keen to try and read everything she sees. Angus has demanded rather a lot of my time and attention lately and my placid, easy-going Bella has suffered. We are making sure we have a lot of "Mummy and Bella time" each day and listening to her read at bedtime is a nice way to do this.

3. Christmas crafting. This half finished t-shirt is for my goddaughter who is currently obsessed with hot air balloons. But what I'm really happy about is that my oldest and best friend, this little girl's mother, gave birth over the weekend, so this sweet girl now has a little sister! I just don't have a photo of that event to show you.

4. Felt bobble trim. How have I never had this in my life before?? I bought a couple of metres for a crafting project (I wanted something "snowy") which, by the way, I am ridiculously proud of and will show you tomorrow, but now I have leftover bobble trim and keep wandering around the house holding it up against lamp shades thinking, hmm, would this be improved by bobble trim? John says NO, emphatically, so my plans are denied.

Have a lovely week, everyone. 


25 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a new little neice. Whaat a sweet aunt you are making her that great shirt.
    I love your little candle holder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such lovely things. I really like the fabrics you have chosen for the balloon, perfect xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bedtime reading - such a precious, happy time xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gillian
    What a lovely selection of happy things. I am particularly taken with that bobble trim - a trip to the haberdashery (I love that word) may be in order at the weekend.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful thinks. Dr Seuss it a huge hit with Mini who is six. He can tell you everything about him, from his date of birth and death to how many books he wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list of happy! Angus' tealight holder is just perfect! Clever boy! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful list of happy things, and what a sweet keepsake from dear Angus.
    Hope the rain lets up a bit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the candleholder - the boy did good! Great happy things. And it's raining (again!). x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tea light is so sweet, you must have been so pleased - artistic like his mum! Fond memories of the cat in the hat, I read that book over and over!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful trim. I know how you feel about the light - it's so dim and not good for picture taking at all.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Horribly grey and wet here too, maybe I should lift my spirits and photograph some happy things!

    The mouse in the box made me smile :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bobble trim is a favourite lampshade improver in my house! Living the tealight holder too.

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Cat in the Hat has been a big hit in our house lately too! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. my snow-loving MIss4 would love the bobble trim, lol
    the balloon looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading and seeing your happy things, makes me smile too :) I love bobble trim, and reading time (especially Dr Seuss) is definitely happy time. Love Angus' light holder too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the photos, especially Angus' candle holder and his cute little fingers, bless him. Also love the bobble trim. I've seen some scarves with bigger bobbles on and I really like them. More applique ideas too, thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely list of happy things - recents events make me keen to find much happiness in small things we so often take for granted.

    I'm all for a bit of uhu/ double sided sticky tape and giving John a mo-vember inspired christmas bobble trim makeover of his own for being such a spoil sport!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous happies Gillian ... the little candleholder is beautiful ... who doesn't love some Dr Seuss ... and the hot air balloon is gorgeous ... what is the gorgeous blue fabric ... it's in your wall hoops too ... I really love it ... hope you have a happy, dry week ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a look and helpfully it is printed along the bottom! It is called Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt for Free Spirit Fabrics. I bought it in John Lewis but they have a wesbite. x

      Delete
  19. I hope the weather brightens up for you soon! I love the little candle holder by Angus...it's so sweet! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've fallen in love with bobble trim....just need to find some I can afford now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What lovely happy things. That candle holder great - something to treasure. Elizabeth has just started to take an interest in reading and I love our quiet time together at bedtime reading books. I love bobble trim too - I think lots of things could be improved with a little bobble trim! Look forward to seeing your crafting project. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. That candle holder is just so lovely. What a treasure to keep for years to come. And the balloon tee is lovely too. You really need to open an Etsy store! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. EVERYTHING should have a felt bobble trim! :)

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to
    new updates.

    Here is my weblog :: genomeinformatics.org

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.