Tuesday 15 May 2012

no-reply confusion

Training Typewriter
"Training Typewriter" from www.present&correct.com. It seemed appropriate, as I am a blogging trainee.


Good morning. Firstly, thank you for all your kind comments about yesterday's post - I really do love to read your comments, it makes me very happy.


Today I need some blogging help.

I think I may have accidentally been a no-reply blogger. I was for some time. Being new to this world I did not realise what it meant (if you are a no-reply blogger other bloggers cannot reply by email to your comments. I think.) I have seen the error of my ways and I have tried to correct this but am not sure if it has worked. So, I...

Went into Blogger Profile
Clicked on Edit Profile
Ticked the box that says "show my email address"
Clicked on Save Profile

Is that right?

I comment on lots of blogs and when blog hosts reply (which is utterly lovely) sometimes I get an email notification and sometimes I don't. Confusing. Also, when I go into My Blogs and then Reading List (where it brings up a list of all the blogs I follow) mine says "no-reply@blogger.com (Gillian) at Tales..." when what I would like it to say is simply "Gillian at Tales etc...) - so much more welcoming and friendly!!

If anyone has any advice or solutions that would be very much appreciated. I will be back tomorrow with a much more colourful, flowery and cheerful post showing you all the pretty things I have been making with my Liberty fabrics over the last week. I am also going to have a go at making my own sourdough starter mixture today...we'll see how that goes!

10 comments:

  1. mine shows up that way too. i have looked briefly into and couldn't find the solution. although i think that offering an atom feed rather than an rss one works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I wish I could help but I'm rather clueless about all this... I'm sure someone out there will be able to help though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all blog comments forwarded to my Yahoo address. Many I can reply directly to via email, but a lot say "sender reply address says do not reply". I think the latter is when you don't have your email listed or that box ticked about showing the address. Maybe. I'm a bit clueless too... All I know is it's much easier if the email is listed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's any consolation I've encountered this problem too and I think it's the most recent version of Blogger that makes changing the setting on this difficult. I have tried to fiddle with the setting on my blog in a similar way but I don't think I've managed to improve things. I am not very techno-whizzy though so someone more up to speed may have more to suggest. On the old Blogger interface apparently it was a simple matter of a couple of clicks but this doesn't help us as the users of the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh snap - I discovered the same problem today. Not sure how to solve it, but will keep my fingers crossed that someone will comment on your post and help us! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same problem for ages and I can't for the life of me remember how I sorted it out. It's to do with your account settings - either on blogger or your google account. Cuckoo (talesfromcuckooland) did a post on how to sort it out - it might be worth checking whether you can see anything on there.
    Good luck!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and feedback. I will stop worrying about it now :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I use my Google ID to reply on a blog you can email me, if I use my preferred name/url option when I reply you can't, and that's a function of the Blogger settings, nothing to be done about it. But what the latter name/url choice does is take folk straight to my blog when they click on my name, and there is an email button there, hopefully obvious enough that anyone wanting to email me can. I often wonder if I should only use my Google ID, but I like that people can find my blog so easily.

    Sorry, all a bit garbled. What I'm trying to say is that no-reply can be a valid choice. But that whatever the problem was you've clearly sorted it as I can email you if I follow the link from your comments on knitsofacto :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie for your advice, and hurrah for communication between blogging pals! I take your point though, sometimes it might be good not to be too easily contactable.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.