Tuesday 22 May 2012

Jubilee T-Shirts


Well hello there! I am in a very good mood today because The Sun is Shining!!! Finally, warm and sunny weather has returned to Yorkshire and maybe we can turn the central heating off now and believe that Summer has arrived. A sunny days calls for a cheerful, colourful post, and since this you can't move for Union Flag bunting in the UK this summer (Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics, in case you just landed from the moon and hadn't heard about it), today I would like to show you my Jubilee t-shirts.

Warning: If you are of a sensitive disposition (or a republican) you should probably look away now. I have gone into kitsch overload in the last couple of weeks and the Jubilee inches closer and closer (I am very excited!!). Even Bella is asking how many sleeps it is until the Queens birthday. (It is ranked third most exciting forthcoming event after starting Rainbows and going to see Peppa Pig at the theatre during half term).

I have made three little Jubilee t-shirts, featuring unrealistically but patriotically coloured Corgi dogs and yes, I cleared the mantlepiece of clutter, hung some bunting and dug out some London-themed toys for the pictures. Forgive me.



Three little t-shirts - one for Bella, one for Angus and one for the daughter of my very good friend Abigail. If you follow her blog Oh Abigail, you will know that she is a HUGE fan her HRH.


The corgis are wearing tiaras. We all know that they secretly wear them when they are living in Buckingham Palace, it's the rules. Angus's dog's tiara is not beaded though, I drew the line there.


But then I thought, well what will I wear on the Queen's birthday? And then I had the idea of doing a little t-shirt (and one for Abigail too, of course) with rather regal stamp image. 


Lovely soft plain white t-shirts, £5 each from Marks and Spencers. I do really like these!


Here I am wearing it... (not a great photo, but you get the picture!)




I am making the kids save their t-shirts until the big day, when we are having a little Jubilee tea party - I'll post pictures of the fun later.

Again, apologies. It's not that I am a huge royalist, I just love an occasion when people come together for a day off work and an opportunity to eat, drink and be merry, and to celebrate being British in all it's wonderful diversity. Even better when that occasion makes it acceptable to do some silly but very enjoyable crafting.

29 comments:

  1. Fabulous - Phoebe is dressing as a Guard complete with bear skin hat for the carnival parade but I may just have to get a little inspired for street party/ coffee morning attire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Phoebe always does dressing up with so much enthusiasm! We are missing the carnival this year - the first one in years where it might actually be sunny.

      Delete
  2. this is some cool queen crafting!

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...not sure about cool though, but definitely queen-ly!

      Delete
  3. Wow, just wow. I am so behind with everything. This broken arm has really messed up all my jubilympic preperations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seen your post re your arm - how awful! Must stop you doing the things you enjoy as well as the things you don't. Get well soon.

      Delete
  4. Ha. What fun. The stamp T-shirts are very clever and I love the corgi tiaras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I like the stamp t-shirt possibly too much and may where it after the jubilee!

      Delete
  5. T Shirts are all Fab! I love them!! :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are fab! I love the stamp ones :) I should get myself organised, I've done & bought nothing yet, eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only organised about things that look fun, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to the boring things!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant! Love them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love any excuse to get out the bunting and the teaset for a party!
    Your t-shirts are brilliant Gillian - you must start an etsy shop to sell your work! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, trouble is they take a while to make and I wouldn't know what to charge for them, etc, etc... I'm quite happy doing these little projects for pleasure (for now, anyway!) x

      Delete
  9. These are fabulous! Love them!! Also love your blue patchwork quilt in the background...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia - I made that quilt last year but it is full of errors and wonky bits. I may have another go this summer and try to learn from my mistakes!

      Delete
  10. they look fabulous. some very clever crafting there in fine style! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you're back! Thanks Veronica. Will pop over to your new look blog soon for a nosey around.

      Delete
  11. Lovely tees and a great way to celebrate the jubilee!! i love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Imene, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your kind words. Gillian x

      Delete
  12. Gillian, these are fabulous! You should SO sell them! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks...i don't think I've got time to really do it properly at the moment, maybe when Angus starts school...

      Delete
  13. all of the shirts are so wonderful! great job! it looks like a fun celebration. looking forward to your post about your tea party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't normally make that much fuss about patriotic things here in the UK, but everyone is so excited about the Jubilee and Olympics at the moment. Even my toothpaste came in a "jubilee edition" tube...err, it's only toothpaste!

      Delete
  14. Can you please tell me where you found the templates in which to use for your queens head? I am desperately trying to do something similar for our school street party on Friday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I just put something like "queen head stamp" into google then clicked on "images" on the left hand side, and it brought up pages of different matches. I found one that looked simple, enlarged it on the screen then roughly traced the image by holding some paper over the screen - a bit fiddly but it worked ok. Nothing very technical I'm afraid! Good luck with your party.

      Gillian x

      Delete
    2. Thank you, that is what i have done, bit didn't know if there was an easier way! Glad to know my techniques are the same as the professionals!!!

      Enjoy your weekend x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.