Monday 21 May 2012

Happy Days


It felt like Angus's Birthday Part Two this weekend. On Sunday he had a joint party at a nearby soft play centre with another little boy we know. My role was the food, my friend's the drinks and party bags.

On Saturday I made three dozen fairy cakes...


...and iced them. Old school icing, just icing sugar and water, no buttercream frosting here.


Thirty two paper bags were filled with thirty two packed lunches.


Bella rose to the challenge of Chief Smartie Sorter, a job she took very seriously. I told her she could only eat the brown ones.


I had fun playing with them to make a pattern for Angus's cake. (Yes I know he had a cake last week, but we needed another for when everyone sang Happy Birthday at the party!)


Much fun was had with a new giant football, and Bella was very excited to have another opportunity to wear her party dress.


Then, the best part of the weekend. On Sunday night we walked up to our local fish and chip shop. We often use the take away but have never eaten in the attached restaurant. What a joy it was. A proper old fashioned, Yorkshire place, with "senior specials". "Fresh orange juice" was listed as one of the starters on the menu. For dessert, or "sweet" as they called it, were things like steamed pudding, mandarin surprise (!) or "chocolate biscuit". I don't think the menu choices or type of customer have changed in thirty years, and why should they, as it is perfect. It was so busy, people were queuing out of the door. 

As is traditional in the North of England, fish and chips are served with a cup of tea:


and the children's ice cream was Mr Whippy style, in a lovely retro dish with lots of sprinkles.


It was one of the nicest meals we've ever had with the children. Easy, unplanned and happy. The kids were well behaved, the food came quickly (less bored wriggling) and was fresh and delicious. As we left, the waitress brought over a little plastic tiara for Bella and a toy dinosaur for Angus. Honestly, it could not have been more perfect. Any restaurant that makes families with little ones feel welcome gets my vote, and my return business. We left a big tip and went home with full tummies and smiling faces.

I hope you had a nice weekend too. Did you do anything special? Have a great Monday and thank you for reading. Hello also to my new followers, thank you very much for stopping by and reading.

22 comments:

  1. The cupcakes and cake look beautiful! And the fish and chips, oh... What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun, yes, but not of the healthy kind. All this birthday cake is teeth-achingly sweet - i need to redress the balance with your fruity "little cakes".

      Delete
  2. Gillian, you are so clever! I love the Union Jack smarties and the old school icing looks fab! And your fish and chips dinner looked amazing. Yum. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by the huge amount of union flag cakey stuff I have bought in preparation for Jubileeeeee (EXCITED!!)- got to get my money's worth out of all that red, white and blue stuff! x

      Delete
  3. what a lovely cake. i must remember that smartie decoration idea.
    one thing we always stop for when we visit england is fish+chips, it's a must! those looks great, and yes, extra thumbs up with the kid-friendliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smarties always have the answer! (when it comes to cakes, anyway. And snacking). x

      Delete
  4. Ooh, a proper fish and chip supper, and a patriotic looking cake ... love the way so many of us are celebrating being British this summer :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of it that way, but yes, i suppose it is a very British post, and none the worse for it!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic cake - love the smartie union jack! Would love fish and chips - especially if I were sitting by the sea perfect x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish and chips anywhere, anytime is fine by me...but we are hoping to drive over to Scarborough or Filey when the warm weather decides to arrive in Yorkshire, and eat them on the beach.

      Delete
  6. Love the birthday cake! Whippy ice-cream yummyyummyyummy!!! Thumbs up to any restaurant that serves hungry children (and husbands) quickly! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear hear. And yes, husbands can get amazingly grumpy when hungry, i find.

      Delete
  7. What a great weekend and a celebration of yummy food - particularly liked the cake and also the creamy dessert! As you say lovely to find a restaurant which makes eating feel relaxed with your children which is so often not the case in England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, we will definitely return - if only so that I can order dessert and discover what on earth "mandarin surprise" is!

      Delete
  8. What a great cake. I love fish and chips with a pot of tea - those little metal teapots are making me quite nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, it was all I could do not to put a tea pot and some sundae dishes in my handbag! But people talk around here and I don't want to get a reputation...

      Delete
  9. What a fun weekend! The cupcakes look so yummy! Fish and chips are one of my favorite meals and these look especially delicious! Happy Birthday again to Mr. Angus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. But I am all caked out now, no more cake!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm learning that sweets and buttercream icing are a lot easier to work with than fiddly fondant icing.

      Delete
  11. that cake is magnificent! and the fish and chips look perfect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sadly it's all gone now. And my jeans are a bit tight. Hmm, wonder how that happened??

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.