Wednesday 9 May 2012

RIP Maurice Sendak

Morning! Firstly, thanks so much for all your kind words, advice and opinions about the tea towel yesterday. I do love it that you comment, it means a great deal to me, and I also love the forum of crafty likemindedness that exists in the blogging community. It's such a good way to bounce ideas around and discover new ways of doing things.




I heard on the radio yesterday that the author Maurice Sendak died. He wrote, among other things, Where The Wild Things Areare, a superb children's picture book. I remember it from my childhood fondly, and it was one of the first books I bought Bella. In fact, she had this print framed in her nursery as a baby. It is currently in the attic - I need to get it down.


Bella has gone off the story since it does not feature a. Hello Kitty or b. Rapunzel, but I know she will come back to it. Angus loves it, and one of my favourite memories of reading to him at bedtime is how he giggles when we do the voices "Roar their terrible ROARS, and KNASH the terrible TEETH (mime teeth knashing)". Angus loves an over the top bedtime story with shouting and sound effects. Before he moved into his bed, we would sit on the chair in his room for bedtime stories, with him on my lap, all warm and cuddly in his pyjamas after his bath, drinking milk from his sippy cup.



It is a true classic of a children's book, written in a time before books were marketed at boys or girls, before merchandise deals and advertising and TV tie-ins, but full of a joyful spirit of adventure and imagination that lives on.

12 comments:

  1. One of my favourites.... must locate my copy as well!

    Rest Peacefully Maurice Sendak ... hoping you meet up with some wonderful wild things in your next phase of being ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is indeed, we have been reading it with renewed pleasure the last few days.

      Delete
  3. Love it - our copy is 14 years old now and although we haven't read it for a while still holds a special place in all our hearts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 14 years, how lovely! I want to keep out copy for future generations!

      Delete
  4. I never liked the book as a child but love it now, and so does my little one, I'm getting to enjoy it for real now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to revisit books from your childhood and discover they were better then you remembered, not worse!

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, my kids will be sad when I tell them about Sendak. They adored Where the Wild Things Are, and Outside Over There.

    You really took me back with that mention of a pyjama'd Angus on your lap with his sippy cup, that's exactly how my eldest liked to listen to stories :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angus is only wee, but I am so conscious of how fast he is growing up and want that warm and sweet smelling baby on me knee again!

      Delete
  6. it's one i'm still waiting to get for my girl.
    how old was he? i have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was 83. It's a brilliant addition to any library.

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.