Tuesday 21 February 2012

Pancake Day



Today is Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday. So today I will be eating pancakes, as well as finishing a baby mobile, doing the ironing, trying to get hold of the plumber again, going to the bank, and doing some baking.

This is my Mum's recipe. She is hazy about it's patronage but thinks it may be a Delia recipe, or her variation of a Delia recipe. I always ask Mum for recipes for things like pancakes as I suspect she has made many hundreds of them over the years and knows more than I do. (I'm not implying that she's really old - she's not! - but having raised three children she's done a lot of cooking in her time.)


You need:
3 eggs
4 oz or 110g plain flour
7 fl oz or 200ml milk
3 fl oz or 80ml water


Mix together then fry in butter. I would use butter not oil and get it nice and hot and sizzling. I can't flip them so just use a spatula to turn them over till they are golden on each side. I think you'll get eight or ten pancakes from this batter, depending on how thick or thin you like them.



I like my pancakes with sugar and lemon juice, the way we always had them when I was growing up. John likes his with maple syrup. Sometimes Nutella or jam. Bella didn't like them when I last made them but their tastes change so much at five so I am hoping she'll eat the ones I make her after school today. Mum likes her pancakes with apple compote and Calvados.



I just made one for Angus for a mid-morning snack. He took a nibble, said "no like it" then dumped it on the table and got down. Angus! Such rejection! Kids are brutal.


11 comments:

  1. Mmm looks yummy! I'm looking forward to ours later. I'm totally with you about following your Mum's recipes!
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just made some for the girls and me following a Jamie Oliver recipe (1 egg, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk). I used self raising flour so they were thick and fluffy like American pancakes. I might make some thinner ones later as I know Jon prefers these.
    I do love your table runner by the way.
    I can't believe your making another baby mobile. I haven't even started mine as I'm waiting for mum's help with the sewing machine. That's a good excuse anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pancakes sound good, I will have to try that recipe. Table runner is an ancient Habitat one - still love it. Get cracking on that mobile! xx

      Delete
  3. Our small one doesn't like pancakes, crepes or buttermilk. All the more for me I say! I like lemon and sugar or maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of mine rejected the pancakes, again. Maybe next year... x

      Delete
  4. we made pancakes today too!! but we like them with dulce de leche yummmy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dulce de leche - is that like caramel? Sounds very indulgent and totally delicious! Gillian x

      Delete
    2. Yes Gillian it´s like caramel, it´s absolutely DELICIOUS!!!

      Delete
  5. We had pancakes with lemon & sugar. Traditional but a real treat!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.