Tuesday 7 February 2012

Union Jack Cushions



I've been sewing Union Jack cushions. My Dad, who sails and knows about such things, says that technically a Union Jack is only a Union Jack when it is on a mast on a boat, and and that otherwise it is a Union Flag. But I still call it a Union Jack.


I make these as gifts and to sell at craft fairs. I made a blue and pink one for my friend Rachel's new kitchen/diningroom/playroom with sofa (of which I am very envious):



And this pink and green one was ordered by another friend for a little girl's bedroom:




I buy the cushions from John Lewis, £5 for a plain cream cushion and someone else has done the boring job of putting a zip in and I get to do the fun bit - appliqueing on patterns. Same applique technique as before, you iron on the fabric then straight stitch around the pattern.




They take a couple of hours to stitch, but they keep me busy while I'm watching tv.


I like them a lot but they don't really go with the look of our house, which was built in the 1940's and has a bit more of a mid-century modern feel about it. I think they are also a bit country and feminine for John's taste, and he does live here too. So I suppose it's only right that I respect his taste. *sighs*



11 comments:

  1. Hi Gillian,
    Thank you for your comments, its lovely to hear from you.
    I think your cushions look great, you're very talented. I am completely hopeless with any kind of embroidery, stitching, sewing, etc :( I can crochet, but only if I ask my mother to get it started. Oh dear!
    All best, Essie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to learn to crochet soon - going on a crochet course for my birthday. Rock and roll! We will see how that turns out...
      Gillian x

      Delete
  2. These are so pretty. I see what you mean about not entirely suiting the style in your house but I can see they would be perfect for a little girl's bedroom. The stitching is so neat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I could make some for your girls! xx

      Delete
  3. Oh Gillian these are just fab! Never mind about male reservations re flowery style! I have the same thing in a predominantly male household & feel there are just times when a girl has to go ahead regardless! I've been having a good look at your stitching to work out how you did the appliqués. Did you use Bondaweb & then hand stitch over the top? I love them - they are a great take on a familiar theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps Forget my q - going back to look again you answer it in your post. So busy drooling over the pics, didn't read assiduously enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, thank you so much. I hope you find the how to useful. It's addictive though...I get through metres of bondaweb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these cushions!!! I think I am going to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your lovely blog, may I ask what sort of thread you use for applique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes of course. I used normal embroidery thread but I separate out two strands from the six that come together, if that makes sense.

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.