Thursday 23 February 2012

Rocky Roads


These win hands down for minimum effort/maximum effect baking. 



Whenever I make Rocky Roads people make a bit of a fuss about them, asking how they are made and what is it in them, and I feel a bit of a fraud to be honest because there is no actual cooking involved. I almost don't want to tell people how easy they are. (Then they'll know that as a stay at home Mum I really DO do nothing all day long...) Melt, stir, put in the fridge. That's it really. I always make them if baking is required for school fairs, bake sales, fundraisers, that sort of thing, as they keep well and sell well. (It has been my experience that anything with icing or chocolate goes down really well at these sort of events, while the delicious but un-iced organic carrot cake lies ignored at the back).





You need:
400g or 14oz chocolate (I use half milk and half dark)
160g or 6oz butter
4 tbsps golden syrup
250g or 9oz rich tea biscuits
100g  or 4 oz marshmallows
50g or 2oz raisins or sultanas
1 tbsp icing sugar

Melt the chocolate, butter and syrup together in a large saucepan. Put the biscuits in a freezer bag and bash to chunks and crumbs with a rolling pin (excellent activity for small children!). Add the broken biscuits, marshmallows and dried fruit to the melted mixture, stir well, then put in a lined 24cm x 24cm (or 9" x 9") square baking tray. Put in the fridge till set, then take out, cut and dust with icing sugar.


You are aiming for a combination of chewy and crunchy. I add the dried fruits because I like them, but you could just use more marshmallows if you prefer. Glace cherries are good in them too, and nuts.


I've been experimenting with a more grown up version containing all dark chocolate, gingernut biscuits and some crystallised ginger... I will share the recipe when they've been very thoroughly taste tested. 

12 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...they look delicious but I'm worried that if I made those I'd be eating them the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a problem! I have to give them away.

      Delete
  2. I also make these quite often and, I agree, people seem surprised that they are so easy. The ginger version sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. Our favourites are with ginger biscuits, sour cherries, crunchie and basically anything else bad for you i can find to fling in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crunchie!!! Why did I never think of adding crunchie?? Genius.

      Delete
  4. sounds delicious! we are dropping off dinner and dessert for a friend with a new baby on saturday and i have been wondering what sweet treat to make for her. these sound easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would go down well, and luckily no-one really cares about calorie content immediately after having a baby! x

      Delete
  5. In all my baking years... I have never tried these! Might do some for the bakesale next week! Thanks for posting the recipe Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes please! This rocky road looks amazing. Any kind of fridge cake is a winner in my books... I'm so much of a sweet tooth, I have no hope at getting back on this diet!

    ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, thanks for stopping by! I read somewhere that William and Kate had a fridge cake at their wedding and it went even further up in my estimation after that. If it's good enough for royalty...

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.