Friday 3 February 2012

Banana Bread



A rare thing happened this week. We had some brown bananas. We get through many, many bananas in this house, three or four a day. Is that normal? If I want to bake banana bread I have to buy too many then hide some away in a cupboard, like a slightly crazy lady, so that they go brown before they're eaten. So I decided to make banana bread.

There are so many different recipes for banana bread and this is mine. It is really a cake, although the absence or butter and presence of fruit means that I can delude myself into believing this is a healthy option. 

You need...

250g brown sugar
2 eggs
250g bananas, peeled and mashed (the browner and squidgier the better)
280g plain flour
1 tsp bicarb or soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g sultanas


Preheat the oven the 180 degrees C and line a loaf tin. Cream the sugar and eggs together then add the banana. Then add all the dry ingredients, stir well, then fold the sultanas in last. Bake for around an hour.


It is a dense and chewy cake with lovely deep flavours. It smells heavenly when it is in the oven. You may want to add a smidge of butter to your slice, but it is equally tasty without.



It's still very cold here. We've been having some beautiful sunrises here in Leeds. I pass the landing window on my way downstairs each morning and it faces east, which makes me notice the sunrise during the morning rush. Today, between changing Angus's nappy and making the beds I found time to take a photo, and I'm so glad I did.



5 comments:

  1. Lovely, a new recipe to try! I am waiting for my Banoffee Cake to arrive! I usually use the Hummingbird Bakery recipe for Banana Loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, yummy. Jon is not really keen on any fruit based cakes, which is great on one hand because I can eat more, but a shame on the other hand as I'd like him to enjoy things I bake. Where did you get the loaf tin liner from? I've not seen them before. I've only recently bought a loaf tin and have been using it quite a lot but it's always a bit fiddly trying to cut the baking paper to fit properly. Can you wash the paper like normal baking paper? I learnt that great tip from a Nigella programme. Keep a stash of baking paper sheets to fit each size tin/tray and carefully wash them after use then you don't have to cut them to fit each time. They last for a few washes and it does save a bit of time.
    Maybe I should get out a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could include 100g of chocolate chips instead of sultanas and just tell him it's a chocolate cake.. I think i got the liners in Lakeland but Asda sell them. They're great, especially if you're giving the cake to someone. I never reuse them, they're slightly thinner than greaseproof paper and i think they'd just disintegrate! Thanks for commenting. :-) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious. I love banana bread or banana cake although funnily enough I really don't like bananas raw. I shall try this tomorrow. If it's any consolation we seem to hoover bananas in this house too so making anything with bananas in the recipe requires sleight of hand and cunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you enjoy it. It keeps well - we are still eating ours here!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.