Tuesday 25 November 2014

Yorkshire Sculpture Park

As I mentioned before, I spent one day last week in Yorkshire Sculpture Park with a good friend of mine. I do relish getting out of Leeds on a school day, driving away from home, school, housework, responsibilities...it makes me feel as though I'm bunking off from the Job Of Mum and I find it slightly thrilling, I have to admit. Also, I still find being child free during the day pretty exhilarating. No buggy. No change bag. Just me and my friend with our own agenda, going at our own pace. 


As I drove south down the M1 the weather was appalling; torrential rain, black skies...I did wonder if we'd spend the whole morning in the cafe and gift shop (look, I wont lie, I would not consider that a wasted trip by any means.) But, as I parked, the rain stopped and the sun attempted to shine in a watery, November fashion. It was quite breathtaking and we put on our wellies and set off. 

Henry Moore

One of the many great things about the park is the flexibilty of the space. Long walks, short walks, lakeside walks, woodland walks, picnic spots, views, beautiful architecture...it's all there. We set off towards the lake and walked for maybe a hour and a half.


The leaves made the most wonderful reflections in the water. 


And everywhere you look, there is the art, the sculpture. So thoughtfully placed that it looks as if it's always been there, that it grew out of the landscape.

Anthony Caro

This lit up horse galloped continually. I was quite mesmerized by it. 

Julian Opie

The piece below is my favourite. I love the way it glowed through the trees.

Peter Liversidge
Close up it was quite spectacular.


Then, after all that grey and black, all that bronze and stone, this triumphant, colourful celebration of the female form was a joy to look at.

Niki De Saint Phalle

We looked at more, but eventually our tummies rumbled and we stopped for lunch. The cafe is really good. I had "Boston Beans" - homemade, smokey baked beans, chorizo, a poached egg and chips, with a cup of tea. It occurred to me that I'd eaten a very middle class, organic, sustainably sourced version of ham, egg, chips and beans. It was good. Then, an hour (yes, a whole hour - no kids!) in the shop, which is really well stocked with some lovely products, well worth a look around. I bought a few Christmas presents and a few bits for me, including this tree*. I have a thing about bare branches in winter and this small and very inexpensive sculpture pleases me greatly. 


All in all a really excellent day out. 




* I can't find a link to it in the YSP shop, but you can see it here.




40 comments:

  1. I've never been to the YSP! It looks good from your photos and the cafe and shop sound worth a visit alone, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go there, perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day out! I want to add it to the list of places to visit in our camper :) Lovely photos as well, I love your purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gift shops + no kids = bliss. Glad you enjoyed it - I really must go.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have kids but can imagine how stressless a day without them could feel - especially in shops (I think it's comparable to shopping with/without husband ;-))
    Lovely photos !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks a wonderful place to visit, love the little tree too
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds absolutely perfect! These moments have to be cherished when the 'mum' badge is temporarily lost! I love the sculptures, especially the woman. Enjoy the rest of the week x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh that looks absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks very dramatic, all that space, and all that inspiration. I envy you your solitary days. My other half works at home, so I'm not permitted any bunking off, but it does look like lots of fun. Lunch sounds particularly excellent! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a great day out. Love the reflections picture and the last one with the reeds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a fantastic day out. I hope I'm as lucky with the weather on Saturday - I'm 'bunking off' to Bath with an old school friend. I love your tree sculpture; it looks perfect on your mantelpiece. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks a lovely place for a day out and I love that little tree sculpture ~ the decoration potential is endless :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great place to visit. Glad that you enjoyed your day there with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not yet been to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, but after having read your post and looked at your wonderful pictures, it is definitely on my "places to see" list for next year's Yorkshire holiday!
    The first picture looks like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had such a great day. It's nice to spend a little time without our chidrren.... You have time to recharge. Have a good thanskgovimg my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all your photographs, particularly the last one. A day out with a friend is just the best, especially if it involves a walk, some tea, and a shop! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like a great place to visit. I really like your tree sculpture, as you say, just right for this time of year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Your photos are beautiful, I love the trees reflected in the water! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks a great place to spend a wintry day! Another attraction on my growing list of places to visit if I ever make it to Yorkshire . x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the sculpture park and looking at your pictures I need to go again because they are all new to me, other than the Henry Moore. It would be nice to go during the week when it is quieter. Maybe I need to make a plan......

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heard so much about this place, just have to go one day, your photos make it look beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a lovely place for a walk. A good cafe and shop really makes it great. I have a real notion for getting a bare branched tree. Next have some nice ones but they are much bigger, pre-lit and too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Gillian,
    What a wonderful place. I love Barbara Hepworth's sculpture garden. I find it so meditative. There is another sculpture garden nearby, and I have been meaning to visit for a while. I think I'll go next week. It's dog friendly, and like you, the frisson of excitement at being able to do it as a grown up is thrilling.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pictures look lovely - as always! Looks like a nice day out. Isn't it great to spend time alone with friends? I always enjoy those things as they are rather rare, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great day out. Lived in Yorkshire for nearly 20 years and still haven't got there yet!
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks a great place to visit, a day away lifts the spirits I find!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an interesting place - sounds like a truly lovely day to me (despite the weather!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have ever been there but it ticks all my boxes - it is always great to be outside whatever the weather I think. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful day out. Good destination, good company, good food.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks absolutely beautiful, even the rain - the perfect get-away! Isn't it amazing what a day away does for our spirit? Glad you had the opportunity to enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You made me giggle when you said it made you feel like you were bunking off , I have not heard that word for years. I know exactly how you feel, nothing like bunking off .Looks like the perfect day.Hope you have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ha ha, this post made me laugh, I too love "bunking off from the Job Of Mum", as you say. Sneaking in a quick trip into town, or going to a nice shop or a nice cafe.. I have started doing it at the week-end too and it feels even nicer, although a bit naughty! I am now taking a morning off and go to a gallery or have a nice quiet breakfast on my own with a book, it's bliss and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like a lovely day out! I love bunking off too. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I do like your tree. And yes, nothing better than bunking off, whatever the responsibilities you're ditching for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love YSP! And the shop - be still my heart. Oh how I envy your child free browsing! I managed 5 minutes before the moaning started! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning
    this article plus the rest of the website is also very good.


    my web page :: wedding hair

    ReplyDelete
  37. Howdy would you mind letting me know which web host you're working with?
    I've loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.

    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a fair price?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

    Have a look at my blog post :: stress test

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely wonderful.
    I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it.

    You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible.
    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous web site.


    my site; hair making (http://henrybpvi.bravesites.com/)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.