Thursday 20 November 2014

The Colour Collaborative: November: Leaf


I do wonder if I sometimes take leaves for granted, only really noticing them fully in the autumn months. But their very absence and presence mark the rhythms of our year; some months are quieter than others, granted, but there is always a beautiful shape to observe, a colour to appreciate. 

I like to look up at the leaves, craning my head as far back as I can towards the treetops and the sky. In the spring there might not be leaves but there are layers of frothy pink blossom.


In the summer we enjoy the shade provided by the lush, dense canopy of leaves in full green splendour. I especially love the dappled effect of sunlight filtering through the leaves and was thrilled to discover that the Japanese have a word for precisely this: komorebi.


Looking upwards in the autumn is just as rewarding. There is less dappling, but more depth, more structure.


And in the winter? No leaves, just the monochrome, arterial look of bare branches reaching towards the sky.


Each full of drama and colour in their own way.


But autumn. Oh, how I love being in the woods in the autumn.


I think it's the smell, and that's down to the rotting vegetation. Whether I'm kicking dry leaves or squelching through wet ones, I don't know when I ever take such a childlike delight in the moment, or feel so fully present in a season.


Almost every sense is catered for; the smell of decay, the feel of the cold air on your face and ground underfoot, the visual delight in the of the leaves, the sounds of birds or the wind in the trees, a rustle in the undergrowth. Ok, maybe not taste. You'll have to take a picnic for that one.


But right now, it's a rowdy display of colour, a rainbow put on by nature. Something to store up in the sensory-memory bank to nourish us in the more subdued months ahead. 

* * * * *

Don't forget to visit the other Colour Collaborative blogs for more of this month's posts, just click on the links below:

Annie at Annie Cholewa
Sandra at Cherry Heart
Jennifer at Thistlebear
Claire at Above The River

What is The Colour Collaborative? 

All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they work on their own, but what happens when a group of them work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too. We'll each be offering our own monthly take on a colour related theme, and hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways.



22 comments:

  1. I love the changes autumn brings but much prefer stomping through dry leaves than damp. I love your bottom set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fan of the forests in autumn here :-)... It must be the smell, and the colours - a walk in a forest in autumn is just sheer delight for me !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right ~ it's too easy to take things for granted but if you stop for a moment and take everything in then there is beauty all around in each season. Lovely photos too :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the autumn colours. But I love all the glorious colours of nature in every season too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each season brings something special but the leaves that are so often in the background in spring and summer definitely come into their own in the autumn. Lovely post Gillian, I especially like the collage. Enjoy what's left of the week xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking as I was driving home today and looking at the silhouettes of the trees against the sky how amazing and beautiful they looked, and how, although I love leaves in spring and summer, that I love that the trees right now don't have leaves. So although I love leaves, I love them to come and go too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each season brings it's own joys X

    ReplyDelete
  8. All gorgeous images, but the lime green of freshly fallen leaves against the brown of those that fell less recently, that's my favourite, the essence of autumn. Anywhere with trees, even a local disused cemetary, is a mecca for me in autumn.

    I love that you mentioned the smell, my family have always reckoned that it's odd that I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, the collage is really pretty. I love looking up at the sun shining through the green leaves of summer as well. There's something so cooling about light filtered through leaves. Trees in the depth of each season are quite breathtaking aren't they. Love them. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Autumn is a delight for all the senses, isn't it? Maybe a flask of hot chocolate in the woods would tick the 'taste' box...
    I too love the damp earthy smell of rotting leaves. And the sound of them falling and landing when you're somewhere really very quiet - that's something which I enjoy too.
    Great posts on your autumn mantel and the feather garland. That's a good one to try with the little one, I think.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me, one of the best simple pleasures in life is kicking a pile of dry leaves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the the vivid green leaves. so vibrant

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great post with wonderful pictures, and I can say yes to each and every sentence in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pictures Gillian. I love the colours Nature offers us during Autumn, they are gorgeous, vibrant, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so right, kicking up the leaves never looses it's pleasure does it?

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  16. nothing prettier!!!! i'm going to go kick a few leaves right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You expressed the concept of leaves so well! I always enjoy reading your blog-it is a happy spot in my day!
    Thanks!
    KnittingKittens

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you forage for mushrooms, you'll get your taste experience!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such lovely photos depicting autumn. Well done Gillian. Have great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Try wood sorrel for your taste experience! Great post. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.