Tuesday 18 November 2014

How To Make A Feather Garland


As promised, here is a quick guide to making a feather garland. 

You will need feathers, some card in the colours of your choice, some yarn or string, glue, scissors, and cocktail sticks


First, make your feather templates. I roughly copied the outlines of four of the feathers I found, choosing shapes and sizes I liked. I used cheaper, thinner card for this.


Now draw around as many feather templates as you like, on as many different types of card as you like. I aimed for maybe ten altogether, a couple in each colour. 

To create the central fold, I drew a curved line freehand onto the feather with the point on a pair of scissors, then gently pressed the crease into shape with my fingertips.

To help reinforce the quill part of the feather, and to make the tying of string easier, I glued cocktail sticks to the straight ends.


Then, rather than try and attach the feathers directly to the horizontal string on the garland, I tied individual lengths of string to each feather. This meant I could easily move them along and vary the length.


Once the string was knotted, I glued the loose end flat against the cocktail stick to keep it tidy and out of the way.


Then it was a question of sitting in front of the mantel and attaching each dangling feather to the garland. 


The whole process probably took a couple of hours. The more feathers you make, the longer it's going to take. Happy garland making!


25 comments:

  1. Wonderful and festive.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just wonderful - and something you could have around the house all year long xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great ~ I could never imagine my brain coming up with such an idea ~ Well Done :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty and festive for the thanksgiving holiday. Great idea dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I looked at the garland at first I thought all the feathers were real! The garland looks amazing - really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, I like the combination of the real feathers and the ones that you made. The idea with the cocktail sticks for the quills of your feathers is great too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A clever idea, and perfect for this time of year when birds are flying in from everywhere. The feathers are so realistic, I love it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this look, but I have a weird thing where I dont like feathers. So the idea of making them from card or paper is inspired for some one like me. love this tutorial the step by step for the craftily challenged like myself appreciate things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it .The contrasts of texture makes it very interesting. Great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever and thanks for the tutorial! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I honestly didn't know that some of the feathers were handmade when I first looked - very creative. I like the way it looks strung across the fireplace. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty such a great idea
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Gillian! I particularly love the copper feathers. They really catch the light, Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great make. Really clear instructions thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's very clever Gillian, the feathers look real!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The effect is so good. Such a quick and effective make.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very clever!

    You have the perfect mantle for things like this. Ours is a smallish, squarish, split old oak beam set directly into the wall above the fire, so it forms a decent shelf but anything hanging from it gets a bit lost in the shadow beneath it. (The wall is also a buttery colour which doesn't help. But we shall be decorating after Christmas and switching to the palest grey I hope, which may make things easier to display.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous, a great selection of colours too, very cosy!! I love decorating the mantle, I hope to adopt a similar approach to theme it all year round!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.