Monday 13 October 2014

A Crocheted Zigzag Wall Hanging


Sometimes I can plod away on various crafty projects for weeks at a time, head down, disciplined and motivated. But then at other times an idea becomes so lodged in my brain, so tempting and exciting, that I drop everything else to make it, and enjoy every second.


I teased you on Friday with a glimpse of a new crochet project. It did look an awful lot like a scarf, that is true, but I have made a wall hanging. I have been really inspired by many woven wall hangings I've seen all over the place lately, and loved that slightly, wintry, nordic feel of them - the wood, the woolly lines, the tassels - and wanted very much to make one. Not possessing a loom I thought I'd crochet mine instead, and I'm so happy I did. I love the colours, the fringe, even the twig that it hangs from. Angus collected that twig from a recent woodland walk, and I found it in my coat pocket the other day. 


It's hard to gauge scale from these photos but, including twig and tassels, it's 19 cm wide and 29 cm tall. It cost me nothing to make as I used yarn I already had. I used a mixture of Rico Essentials and Annell cotton yarn with a 3 mm hook. This gives a very tight stitch which is actually quite hard work to crochet, but I like the woven, dense look of it. The pattern is adapted from one I've used a few times now, the Zali ZigZag Blanket Pattern from the blog Meet Me At Mikes.

*****
How to:

I made a length of crocheted fabric around 21 cm long by 13 cm wide. I chose zigzags but I think that irregular stripes would work just as well. Before blocking, the crochet looked like this, very bumpy.


But after blocking it's very much flatter, as you can see.


To make the hanging part, I folded over small a small section of the top (which neatly hid the slightly messy first couple of rows) to create a flap, which I stitched in place.


I made it wide enough for my twig, but you could use a piece of wooden dowel. Anything that keeps it straight and rigid would work. 


To hang it, I opted to use some more of the pink yarn. I wrapped it around either end of the twig to secure, then using a needle I threaded the end back on itself under the yarn and snipped the end off. 


I decided to finish it with a fringe of little tassels. I love the way they add length and a slightly alpine, retro look. You don't need to be able to crochet to make tassels, but you do need a crochet hook. I used the same cotton yarn I used in the wall hanging and I've put together a little tutorial for you below.

First, push the crochet hook up into the stitch. Have your tassel looped in half with the loop end by the hook ready to go.


Using your other hand to hold the looped threads steady, catch them on to the tip of the crochet hook.


 Gently pull the hook and yarn threads through the stitch.


 Then draw the long ends of the yarn through the loop...


...and tighten.


And that's all there is to it! Don't worry about the length of your tassels while you work, as you can trim them all to the desired length once you've finished. 


I hope you like it. I'll be back on Wednesday with a lovely giveaway for you. 

41 comments:

  1. What a lovely creative project, one that shows the design but without a huge commitment to a larger blanket or throw, impressive.
    Your wool choice is gorgeous.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh it's lovely! gorgeous colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely !! It reminds me of my youth, when you would find a woven wall hanging in every house ! All nice things come back into fashion :-) !
    I like it that yours is crocheted - don't know why, but it looks more "contemporary" than a woven version...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely...and I really like your colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great - simple but effective! Great use of the stick too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY REALLY like your wall hanging. You did a wonderful job putting it all together. I don't get tempted very ofter to start a new project but this just be an exception. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really thought it was going to be a scarf! You are so creative Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How clever - I was convinced that it was going to be a scarf. I love the fact that you incorporated Angus' stick - I bet he's very proud. I love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely wall hanging with the most gorgeous colours. Very good tutorial.(wish I could do the same occasionally.) It would certainly suit my all grey house. Oh, yesterday waiting at the newsagents for me was my August issue of Style at Home, so I could read your article in it. Was great. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea. I always think of crochet as something that you make something practical with - but this shows true creative thinking - well done! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo! Where can I buy one? ;) The zig zags work wonderfully! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's absolutely lovely, really gorgeous colours and very beautifully done. You do come up with the nicest things. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. see you can make things up in your head, that is fantastic. I think it would look great in our cabin. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea, I think I could crochet one for my living room, it looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the idea, have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen lots of woven wall hangings in magazines too. Yours remind me of October sunsets, so pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is truly lovely and the tassels are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh, love those colours! I've tried to crochet chevrons, but found it pretty difficult, maybe I should have another go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really love your new wall hanging. I've often wondered if a crocheted wall hanging would work but never tried it. I recently got my first loom - a peg loom - and am going to use some of my practice pieces of weaving to make some very small wall hangings. Also - just remembered - I felted a small piece of crochet done using pure wool and intend to make some sort of Christmas hanging with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh that's simply magical ! wonderful ! great idea and great work !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it, what a great idea. Love that pink and grey together. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely... I truly must learn how to crochet.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty, must get out my crochet again......sigh so many projects so little time x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really great Gillian - one of your best ideas yet I think! The colors are beautiful, perfect for winter, and the texture of it all - yarn, fringe, wood - make it fun to look at, as well as touch I can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, how beautiful! You have the best ideas! And I love that you used a twig to make a hanger for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh! I saw the first photo and immediately thought of Tales of the City, the 1990's adaptation of Armistead Maupins novels of 1970's San Francisco - which I loved. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really pretty, but I'd still rather wear it than hang it on the wall, har, har! Minus the hanging pole, of course! The colours are wonderful.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a darling project!!! Such soothing colors, and I love your use of a twig. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think the result is stunning. Such pretty colours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gillian this is brilliant, it looks fab in your home! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gillian, I love it! And I love the twig too. So creative and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love it Gillian. Such a great idea and use of the stick as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nicely done! And very you, if you don't mind me saying so :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a lovely work. It seems to fit very well in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a brilliant idea, I love it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is lovely Gillian, especially with the seed heads that you have collected, it looks just right for autumn. xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. It looks fantastic! And I love the twig :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Its beautiful Gillian and the colours are gorgeous! xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is lovely, great colours. I like the way you finished it with the twig and the wraps of pink thread.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow that looks wonderful Gillian. You are a axing and the colors are absolutely wonderful. You have such impeccable taste as I'm sure I have mentioned before.... Marvelous !

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.