Thursday 25 July 2013

Ebernoe Horn Fair


We spent today in the tiny West Sussex village of Ebernoe for their annual Horn Fair. It's a centuries old tradition involving cricket, a roast ram, a fun fair and hot air balloons, among other things. It was a bit like being in an episode of The Archers, which is about the highest compliment I can pay.


We are currently staying with my friend Abigail. Her family has strong links to the village and it's traditional for them to get together at the fair each year, otherwise I don't think I'd ever have known of it's existence but I'm so glad we went.


It is incredibly, deliciously English. It's the sort of thing that village communities do so well; cake stalls, loud speaker announcements, tea tents, beer tents. There is a funfair with enough bouncy castles, rides and sugar to keep most children entertained for hours.


When the cricket match breaks for lunch and tea, the grass is suddenly filled with people making a bee line for the tea tent, or running around if you're little.


Someone had this giant wand-thing for blowing huge bubbles, and the kids had a lot of fun chasing them, trying to pop them or catch them in their hands.


We ate our picnic lunch under some big, shady trees with a good view of the cricket. I don't really understand cricket if I'm honest - it seems like nothing is happening then suddenly people burst in random smatterings of applause - but despite this I'm quite happy to watch it or listen to it. John loved it.



It was a long, meandering kind of day where lunch rolled into tea in between visits to the bouncy castle and cake stall. There was no mobile reception. I didn't really know what the time was all day. When we finally left around 6 the fair was just warming up for the evening's entertainment: the town band, the carving of the sheep roast and a hot air balloon. But the kids were all getting very tired and it was time to go. Next time we'll stay longer.

Ebernoe is very beautiful, as it the whole area. We drove through village after village filled with pretty cottages, attractive pubs, charming village greens and I kept saying to John "Let's live here!" and then we got back and I looked at the house prices on the internet and then we fell about laughing. Maybe when we win the lottery.



Thank you all for your lovely comments on my napkins and the playhouse. And hello new followers, you are very welcome! I will try and get round you blogs and say hello over the next week or so. 











27 comments:

  1. What a lovely day. I have heard of this event but never been, or visited the area at all. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I was born in West Sussex. Looks a gorgeous way to spend an afternoon. I am quite jealous!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous day out. You're right - VERY English!! I've never seen a cricket match - must add that to my Bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gillian,Sounds like a perfect day for everyone!!!When you understand the game of cricket,it's a lot of fun and you'll be hooked forever!!!Also a lovely way to spend some hooky time outside!!!!Hope you have a happy weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gillian what a beautiful post. I expected miss marple anytime. Seriously this felt like a trip back to my childhood and village fetes and the weather has been just great. Keep enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Sussex, and it all looks absolutely idyllic. I don't really understand cricket either, but there is something very tranquil and mesmerising about it. I'd happily sit in a deckchair all afternoon by a cricket pitch, provided I had a little sewing or knitting with me. It's all so very English.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a son who plays cricket I've picked up the rules along the way. I really enjoy watching him now. As you say so very English and a great way to relax too. I usually take some crochet too! (It would have to be said I've also sat huddled under a blanket with other mums in freezing temperatures too which is less fun!!)
    You are staying very close to where I live!! Beautiful isn't it. Enjoy your break. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like one of those perfect summer days.
    Love your photos.
    Bubbles are always a hit but big bubbles must have been even better!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos, particularly the first 3 which really do sum up an old-fashioned English summer. I can't wait for the end of August now when we're going to visit my friend who lives in a pretty Oxfordshire village. I laugh at the house prices there too! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a perfect day - just as well Inspector Barnaby wasn't there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely way to spend a day - quintessentially English is always fun, don't you think?
    We're off to the local cricket derby this evening and hoping the sun stays out :-)
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks brilliant! I love all the quaint village traditions like these - we don't really have anything like it in London!
    I love West Sussex - the landscape is beautiful and the villages and houses are so nice. Although I wasn't saying that on Saturday night when I was driving back from Littlehampton in complete darkness with a trail of cars behind me! Enjoy the rest of your stay! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That really does look like the best kind of village event! Have a wonderful time away :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you had the most perfect day out. I have never heard of Ebernoe before it looks lovely and the perfect English village event. Enjoy your time away xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post just epitomises the lazy, hazy, crazy days of an English summer's day. Perfick! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks wonderful the perfect way to spend an English summers day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a wonderful day was had by all and what beautiful weather x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like it was a perfect Summer's day. I love to see a cricket match on a pitch on a sunny day .

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like a really fun day. I love to blow bubbles in the sunshine, and attempt to catch them too. I've never watched cricket and would like to someday, though I suspect I would have the same reaction as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well I was completely sold when I read "It is incredibly, deliciously English"...
    In that case, who wouldn't love it?
    Looks like a great day, though I can't say I know anything at all about Cricket!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely day out and yes house prices can sometimes be a hindrance about where you end up living, but we can all dream.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really love these images; they're so evocatively English. One of my favourite things x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a perfect summer day! I can see why you would want to live there.. it's so beautiful! Hope you are enjoying your time away visiting with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't understand cricket either!! It's definitely a man thing! Looks like you had a fabulous day out though, quintessentially English ;)
    Enjoy your weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband eventually explained the rules of cricket to me and I now enjoy a day game, the test matches that go on for 5 days befuddle me :o) Looks like you have a terribly joy time at the fair, I too just love those quintessentially English events xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  26. Opps I meant to say jolly time, not joy time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Gillian,
    I found your blog last week and it looks so wonderful, I love to read and also to look at your photos. I love the playhouse very much, how lovely for the kids! I am Gonny, I am from the Netherlands, but my husband and me live in Sweden since 2009.
    I like your slogan: "The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything." so very true!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Gonny

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.