Wednesday 24 July 2013

A Garden Playhouse Makeover


We've had a small wooden playhouse in our back garden for the last three years. It was built by John and my Dad when Angus was about one year old and painted by John (under my strict instructions) with white paint and pale green trim. It started out well and was full of children every summer and much of the winter too. But as our collection of bikes, trikes, trolleys and scooters grew the playhouse shrank until it was no longer used for playing, just for storing toys. It looked like this:


So, inspired by a conversation with my friend Hannah (who has created an enviable playhouse for her four girls) and by this playhouse at Kate's blog Kate's Creative Space I set to work and it now looks like this:


I set myself a rule: spend as little money as possible. Everything (nearly) must be recycled or already owned. Oh, I do love a challenge! So on the outside the kids and I washed all the paint work and windows and gave it all a really good scrub. I mended the two broken perspex window frames and we planted the window box with geraniums. I made bunting by cutting up two old oilcloth tablecloths with pinking shears and stapling the triangles to fabric tape, then staple gunning the tape to the overhang above the door and window. It's not going to win any sewing awards but the effect is still pretty.


Inside, I gave the walls two coats of white paint and made curtains for the door and window from a large piece of pink checked fabric I bought in Ikea a few years ago. Curtain rails were made simply from cup hooks and lengths of wooden dowel.


And then the fun bit - furnishing it. We laid cheap vinyl floor tiles and I hung some union flag bunting left over from the jubilee celebrations last year.


The cooker is a wooden box we had in the loft. I used foam crafting sheets to make a hob and borrowed some enamel bits and pieces from the kitchen. The lid lifts up so it's handy storage too, should Bella and Angus feel the urge to tidy up.


There is just room for a table and a couple of chairs.


I covered up the horrid plastic table with a tablecloth. The use of lace trim is more to avoid the need to hem a circular piece of fabric than for any design purposes. Little cushions match the curtains (I really stretched that £6 metre of fabric there!) and ribbon scraps make curtain tie backs.


The curtains are absolutely my favourite thing about the house. The minute I hung them and added the tie backs my heart skipped a beat and I thought "It looks so pretty!" and "I want to live there!" I cannot resist the allure of gingham curtains, especially when they are miniature versions for a cute miniature house.

We celebrated the opening with strawberry milkshake and chocolate biscuits. 



It's a big success, which make me so happy. When I asked the children what their favourite part was they both said the curtains, straight away. They really, really like going in there and shutting the curtains. They've put this box of books in there...


...completely their own idea, and they sit in there and read books. Sometimes I find them in there first thing in the morning while they are still wearing their pyjamas. It's quite sweet. The other thing they like to do is take all the ribbons off the curtains and make ribbon stew in the saucepan on the stove top.

I knew when I picked a posy of flowers from the garden and put them in an old, broken mug and placed them on the little table that is was time to step away from the charm of the playhouse and go back to the big house, the real house, and do the washing up.

I took the flowers with me.


I can't find my scrap of paper where I jotted down costs, but it's safe to say that altogether we spent about £25 on the floor tiles, film for the window, foam sheets, wooden dowel, cup hooks and geraniums.

The white paint, oilcloth, jubilee bunting, cooker, cushion pads, fabric for curtains and cushions and tablecloth, and the table and chairs were already knocking around the house or garage. Bearing in mind that the playhouse is not especially watertight, I will be emptying it of anything fabric in the autumn and bringing it all inside to be washed and stored away ready for next spring. Then it will be extra nice to bring it all out again ready for another summer of play.

Thank you for indulging me and letting me show you this project. It brought me, and the children, a lot of pleasure. 

51 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful Gillian. You have done a fantastic job. Hours and hours of fun to be had in there xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. :) Lucky children.
    The playhouse in my garden stores rugby kit! But at 15 I guess he's too big to play in it now!! But it's prettier than a shed even if the door isn't very big!!
    Hope you all have fun. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dream play house for two very cherished children! You have created a wonderful space Gillian, just magical x

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could shrink back down to little girl size I don't think I would ever want to leave - it's so pretty. The fact that you did it all on such a budget makes it even more special - well done x Jane (P.S. ribbon stew sounds delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great now. My favourite part are the curtains too. I hope you have lots of lovely summery days to enjoy it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's adorable... I want to come and play too ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! It has really brought it to life. I'm sure Bella and Angus will make the most of playing and enjoying throughout the summer hols!

    Thanks for giving me some great ideas. I've got a little playhouse just like this in my outdoor learning area as well as the indoor home corner and another large front-free playhouse outside. At the moment they look a little uninspiring so maybe I can use some of my set-up budget to do something like this. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your playhouse is adorable, Bella and Angus must be so happy! I love the cooker, such a clever make over, and ribbon stew is a wonderful idea! I want to add curtains and bunting to our shed but my husband will think I'm mad, especially since we have no little children now as an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your playhouse makeover and feel like going in there to play myself! I love the fact that it's made of wood and not of plastic. Well done for your sewing and decoration embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfection in recycling. It is lovely. I think I will paint the inside of ours white because it is so dark inside. Thanks for the inspiration. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gillian, Well done!!!It's lovely!!!I love all the little details!!!Bella and Angus is sure to spend a lot of time in there!!!Love that they love books!!!Have a happy week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks gorgeous. I love the little touches especially. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fab. Ours went to a good home last year after the boys started climbing on top of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooohhh Gillian can i come play in the sweet little house pleeeaasse(as long as i can have choccy biscuits too)Tho' i am a "lady" of a certain age.!!! Well done on the makeover, LOVELY.
    Best Wishes
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the children will treasure it as they ave eloped so much. Brilliant job

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ginghamtastic!! Lots of ideas for a play house for olly. There's more fun to be had by recycling or sticking to a strict budget. It makes you far more creative. And indulge all you want.!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like to come and play now, or come to tea for ribbon stew! You've done a fabulous job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's lovely. You did a great job and I am sure they will always fondly remember the way you fixed up their playhouse for them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great playhouse. Am sure that your children will spend many happy hours there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's wonderful I like the idea of the ribbon soup.. So sweet. This post reminds me I must make curtains for our Wendy house ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gillian, I commented on your blog quite a while ago but just to let you know I still really enjoy your posts. The playhouse looks lovely, you are so good at making projects like this look do-able and affordable! Ella x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delightful place for your children to play, I hope it gets many years of use :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the most adorable playhouse ever! You did a great job of fixing it up and making it cosy. I know your children are thoroughly enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful - I love it. The curtains are definitely my favourite part too. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is gorgeous ... I have to tackle the inside of ours ... maybe in time for next year ... the little gingham curtains are especially cute ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so cute. My daughter would have loved something like that when she was little. Heck, I would have loved something like that. You are so clever and resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea and I hope they enjoy it while the weather is warm and it is school holiday time too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is adorable, I could move in! You're full of great ideas, as always! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. How delightful! Such a beautiful make over and such a success!! Wish I could come and play!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It´s so adorable! And with flowers, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I just love this. In fact this entire post has made me smile! You have done such a beautiful job with the playhouse, it's gorgeous. I love the curtains, the bunting, the little tablecloth....everything! I'm sure Bella and Angus will have so much fun playing inside their special little house.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love it, when can I move in?! Oh for the simple life! I have still got my union jack bunting up in my lobby. I can't bring myself to take it down! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  33. gorgeous!!!! your kids are very lucky and you are oh-so-clever!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  34. what a beautiful end result. I had wooden play house, also with pink gingham curtains, when I was growing up. You have taken me straight back to my childhood, and hours of endless fun in my own home! Your children are incredibly lucky, I'm sure they too will have whole summers spent in there! The cooker is particularly inspired, and i think the tablecloth bunting works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What's so beatifual about these projects is that your children will remember that little wooden house with the window planter and gingham curtains forever. They will look back and describe all the little details of love you put into it. Me and friend used to play in her little wooden playhouse for house for hours, I still remember it like it was yesterday. This looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh I do love your playhouse complete with bunting the colours you've used are really pretty. I bet your children will adore it for years to come x

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is so, so gorgeous - and even better as it's done on a showstring and with so much love put into it. What lucky, lucky children. I too would like to move in!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh it's lovely, well done you. The children must love this I think.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely amazing ... I would have loved this as a child, and thought I'd gone to heaven!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a transformation. The playhouse looks so pretty and it's most definitely going to be loved and enjoyed for a long time to come.
    The cooker is inspired!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm not surprised Bella and Angus are so smitten with their new look play space, who wouldn't love a little room of their own so charmingly bedecked. Beautifully done Gillian :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gosh, brings back memories....I did similar makeover at my last house with an old garden shed, I can still smell that familiar smell of the sun warmed wooden interior. My kids (then 3 and 5) loved it so much, as did I. I also had curtains and bunting and lots of cushions and a sweet table and chairs with a tea set and a basket of books. Sigh. Seeems so long ago. I quite miss not having a garden.x

    ReplyDelete
  43. That's so cute, I bet your children adore it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm just back from holiday Gillian and catching up - the playhouse looks amazing! (thanks for the mention too :-)); I love what you've done, and also the fact that B&A have so quickly made it their own and customised it; a sign of real 'nesting' and ownership! - Love the book box. Here's hoping that the weather holds out for a long summer of making-house... x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Seriously???? I think I want to move in to this play house!!!
    It's absolutely divine!!
    Have a great up coming week,
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  46. Inspired by your post albeit 3yrs on...I'm just doing the same to ours. We've had it 4yrs and although my daughter is now 9 (she's a bit like gullies in there!) She still loves to go in there and I'm hoping my son who's just 1yr will live it too!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Inspired by your post albeit 3yrs on...I'm just doing the same to ours. We've had it 4yrs and although my daughter is now 9 (she's a bit like gullies in there!) She still loves to go in there and I'm hoping my son who's just 1yr will live it too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.