Wednesday 30 January 2013

Eleven Questions


"The Liebster Award is for bloggers with under 300 followers and the rules of the award is that the nominee must link back to whoever awarded them, write 11 random facts about themselves, answer the 11 questions from the award giver, and then nominate another 11 bloggers and make up 11 questions for them to answer. It's a great way for new and undiscovered bloggers to meet new people, get more followers and find some blogs that they want to follow."


A couple of weeks ago Emma at All Stitched Up and Suzie at The view from here very kindly nominated me for a Liebster award. Thank you ladies, you are very kind. 

So, here are my eleven random facts:

  1. I am tall, 5' 11" to be exact, but only have size 6 feet.
  2. I have many, many Breton striped tops, but am still seeking that perfect one.
  3. I love tulips.
  4. I have lived in Leeds for 12 years but am most definitely a southerner at heart, and hope to move back there one day.
  5. I learnt the piano as a child. I gave up lessons when I was 12 or 13 and have always regretted it.
  6. I love the listening to the radio, especially Radio 4, and have it on constantly.
  7. I spent 7 very happy years working in a bookshop.
  8. I have a really annoying habit of completely tuning out of what's going on around me if I'm engrossed in something else. John will be saying "Gill. Gill. GILL!" and I'll be reading a magazine, totally oblivious. It is very annoying.
  9. I grew up by the sea and miss is terribly.
  10. I'll be celebrating my tenth wedding anniversay and my thirty fifth birthday this year.
  11. I once shook Bill Clinton's hand.
And here are Emma's questions:

1. Are you an adventurer or a homebird? Most definitely a homebird, always.
2. Sweet or savoury? I have enough room in my tummy for all food groups.
3. Where is the furthest place you have travelled? To Australia and New Zealand, although it was nearly 20 years ago.
4. Where is the favourite place you have travelled? John and I spent part of our honeymoon in San Francisco and I will always love that crazy, beautiful, hilly city.
5. What is your proudest achievement? Can I have two? Bella and Angus.
6. What simple thing makes you happy? Cuddles from my small people.
7. What was you favourite toy as a child? My Sindy house. I spent far more time tidying it and arranging the furniture than playing with the dolls. 
8. What calms you when life is crazy? I put the kettle on and make a cup of tea.
9. Why do you blog? To focus on and celebrate the good things in life, to share crafty things with like-minded people, to be part of the fabulous online community of bloggers.
10. Do you have a list of things to do during your lifetime? No. You never know what's around the corner.
11. Have you ticked them all off yet? I know that as a child and teenager I hoped I would go to university, meet someone I wanted to spend my life with, work in an interesting job and be a mother. Those things have happened. But I honestly have no idea what is next.


and Suzie's questions...


  1. What is your favourite film? Clueless.
  2. Best holiday memories? As a child we spent many holidays in the Vendee area of France. I remember driving to and from the beach singing along to The Mamas and the Papas.
  3. If you could shadow someone for a day, who would you choose and why? Nigella Lawson, because I think she would be very interesting, and I'd love to have a nosy round her kitchen.
  4. Are your a town or country person? I grew up in the suburbs and live in the city but I always feel very peaceful in the countryside.
  5. What is the best place you have lived and why? Where I grew up, for it's proximity to the sea. But I like where we are now too.
  6. Where do you want to be in 5 years time? I have absolutely no idea but I hope I will happy.
  7. What is your favourite book? To The Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf. 
  8. What is the best thing about blogging for you? Forming connections and making new friends.
  9. Whose style do you admire and why? Anyone who looks comfortable in their own skin looks pretty stylish to me.
  10. What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given? Be nice to everyone because you never know who you'll end up working with next. (And it's very good advice!)
  11. Chocolate or cheese? Again, I have enough room in my tummy for both.

Ok, if you're still with me, my eleven questions are:

1. Who would play you in the film of your life?
2. If you were to go on a picnic, what would your picnic basket contain?
3. Do you have a favourite song?
4. What is your favourite season, and why?
5. How would you spend your perfect day?
6. What do you usually eat for breakfast?
7. What is your most irritating habit?
8. What is the best gift you've ever been given?
9. What would you do with £1000?
10. When was the last time you did exactly what you wanted to do?
11. Early bird or night owl?

and I would like to pass the Leibster Award on to these blogs - some old favourites, some new to me, all very enjoyable - do pop over and say hello.




I do not mind at all if tagging/blogging awards is not your thing and you'd rather not take part - I wont be offended. Just take my nominations as a sign that I enjoy visiting your blogs very much.

23 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Gillian, I love to receive these awards, it's so kind of you! I received 2 other awards in December and I haven't got round to following those up yet, so please forgive me, it may take a while but I will try and mention you all and answer some of the questions ... I don't think there are 33 facts about myself that I can think of!

    Thank you so much

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. To The Lighthouse is my favourite book too. I love these Q & A posts xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way these awards allow us to find out a little more about our blogging friends ... we have Bill Clinton in common ... and San Fransico on your honeymoon ... I would love to visit ... Mr F was there once before we met and he has always told me we need to go ... he said I would love it ... I imagine I would ... well, it's on the wishlist ... enjoy the rest of your week lovely ... I'm off to look at your blog favourites ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear ... appalling spelling error ... I meant San Francisco .. x

      Delete
  4. Aw, shucks . . . thank you so much Gillian.

    I love that your favorite movie is "Clueless" (as if!) and that you have room in your tummy for all that food. :)

    xo
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to get to know you better! I am also a huge fan of the Breton Stripe- maybe not as big a one as you though :) hope you are having a good week and congratulations on your award, Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These awards and Q&A's appeal very much to the nosy side of my personality! x
    I worked in a children's book shop and then in libraries throughout sixth form and university on Saturdays and holidays. I blame them for making me want to be a teacher. I think I saw it as a good excuse to buy all the picture books I wanted. Have you seen this book? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weird-Things-Customers-Say-Bookshops/dp/1780334834/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355855777&sr=1-5It Everything is so funny but oh so true! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post. It is always so interesting to see the person behind the blog. I especially enjoyed your questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, and lovely to find out a bit more about you.
    M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We loved San Fransisco too, although it was 17years ago now! We took my parents, it was the first time they had been aboard, such happy, happy memories! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this post! im new to the blogger world so this is a great tool for me to discover other blogs! cant wait to participate!

    -s.

    www.serioussarahblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you petal, it's very kind of you to ask me! I will get to it asap. Finally something to read on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gillian, loved finding out a bit more about you. I do the "tuning out " thing too and also hate it. I remember my Mum being the same when I was a child and I couldn't understand it....now I'm just the same. My middle son will use my full name (middle name included ) to try and get a response when Mum and Jacquie have failed !!
    My favourite film is Pretty in Pink....also an American Teen movie...but an 80's one as I'm a bit older than you :0) must try and watch Clueless.
    I love blogging for the same reasons .
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving following all the Liebster winners and discovering new blogs along the way. Suzie also awarded me one and I was stumped on #9. I love your answer. I'm a new follower and look forward to seeing more from you.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gillian! Thanks for nominating me for the Liebster award. I'm so excited! I noticed a lot of traffic from your blog today which was really cool. I'm looking forward to doing this; now to sit and think about how I'll answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Gillian! Congrats on the award! Loved reading your answers:) Glad to know more about your simple happy life :) God bless your family!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Gillian and thank you so much for forwarding the award onto me. I loved learning more about you here. I had a feeling we were similar in age but I had my 10th wedding anniversary and turned 35 last year :-) I think working in a bookshop would be one of my favourite workplaces too (that and a Flower Shop). Will get onto my post soon. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the award. I love reading your blog too

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the award, very well deserved. I enjoyed reading your random facts and getting to know a little more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's lovely reading your facts and answers! (I also love Clueless by the way :-) Bee from The Linen Cloud awarded me a Liebester too - must get around to doing it soon! I guess my 1st fact about me is that I'm a procrastinator :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh I'm impressed you answered both sets of questions there, it is so nice to find out more about you. Do you know what, I have never seen Clueless? I shall seek it out on your recommendation. Thanks for playing (and for the shout out)! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you should take up piano again. Good answers :) Thank you for passing the award on!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much Gillian for nominating Playing in the Attic for a little blog award!! Very sweet of you to think of me : –)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.