Monday 21 January 2013

Hush


Apologies if you've had enough of photos of snow. It's just still quite a novelty for me! Remember all that heavy snow that most of England had on Friday? Well, it fell on West Yorkshire last night.


This morning we woke up to six inches of fresh snow.


Bella's school was open so she, Angus and I walked there. It was totally silent and still, so different to a normal day. Just the occassional swishing sound of the odd driver trying to get along the slushy, slippery roads. 


When it was time to collect Angus from nursery John and I took the sledge. Next to Bella's school there is steep playing field that is perfect for sledging. Angus loved it.


I had quite a lot of fun too if I'm honest.


 Angus travelled home in style.


They closed Bella's school early and this afternoon that same hill was packed full with children, and the air was filled with the echoey sound of laughing and shrieking as they raced down the hill and dragged thier sledges back up again. There was something in the air, something joyful and celebratory. 

If you don't have to be anywhere or do anything, if you can just give yourself in to the snow, then it's pretty amazing stuff.

24 comments:

  1. Perfect fun. Tonight, I walked home at 'rush hour' but it was so much quieter than normal and the snow was glistening as the light fell. Magical xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of you on the sledge. There's something about snow. It has magical properties! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous. Your pictures are beautiful. Snow is really magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved the snow this year. The key is to wrap up warm and have fun. Love that photo of you sledging, you look like you're having a ball! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful. I can't get enough of taking pretty snow photos here either. The way the snow muffles sound and quiets everything is one of my favorite parts of all. It's like the world is sleeping.

    xx
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I just assumed you got snow like this every winter! It's picture perfect, keep the pictures coming. I'm showing the kids the photos as I type and there's lots of "Wow", "Wish we lived there!". Enjoy the snow while it lasts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant ... and such a lovely experience for the little ones ... I hope we get some soon or fingers crossed for some in the winter to come ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! Doesn't the snow make everything look beautiful? My 10 year old just saw your photos and said "I wish it snowed here"!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can never have enough pictures of snow. I have to go to work today after Friday and Monday off, I'm sure they'll be snowball fights at break time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snow brings out the child in all of us. Glad you're all having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kids love it don't they! I do as long as I don't have to go too far! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant pictures Gillian, I think a good time was had by all.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was beautiful wasn't it? It's so nice when it quietens the city and we can get out and play! Lovely pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! I love the calm of the snow followed by shouts of happy people of sledges! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow ... so much snow and such fabulous photos!!! I love them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am so so so jealous!! In southern Missouri we just don't get the snows we used too....global warming???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous fun pics, Gillian! Happy Snow Days! E x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures. You can't have too many snow pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The snow is beautiful! And how adorable are you on the sled?! What a fun time you had!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I lobe the way that snow muffles everything and makes everything look clean

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a beautiful post! I think your pictures and words convey the magic of snow perfectly. I love the way snow makes everything quiet. It's wonderful stuff!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sledging, children and snow a great combination, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, so much snow!! Looks beautiful!! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.