Tuesday 8 January 2013

A Shoebox Bedroom For A Little Mouse


Hello there! Thank you ever so much for your many kind comments on my post about my Grandma. It was quite a deep breath moment, posting such personal family memories and photographs, yet it felt right and I am glad I did it. 

Well, what with Christmas, New Year, a funeral and lots of travelling up and down the country, it was something of a relief to return to our normal routines yesterday. We spent the weekend taking down decorations, clearing out the garage, going to the tip, washing the car (it is very stupid to give a three year old control of the hose - changes of clothes needed for all four of us) and doing those end of holiday things like writing thank you cards, searching for PE kits and the obligatory Sunday night hair wash. Yesterday morning was unseasonably mild and when I got back from the school run I opened all the windows wide and did some housework. It was satisfying, even - dare I say it? - enjoyable to strip the beds and dust and vacuum with only Radio 4 for company and fresh air blowing into the rooms.

*****************************************

Anyway, to today's business...we have been getting crafty with shoe boxes again. Do you remember when, last September, Bella and I made a little shoe box kitchen from household odds and ends for a competition at Cath Kidston? We enjoyed it so much, and it has been played with endlessly, which is surely the point, and we wanted to make more rooms. So, over the holidays, we (well, I, really) made a bedroom for the lucky mouse. My self-imposed rule is that everything must be made from bits and bobs that are lying around the house - boxes, buttons, bottles and lids, pipe cleaners, straws, that sort of thing. No cheating with Sylvanian Families, Barbie or dolls house accessories!

If you are interested in how we made the mouse boudoir, then read on.



1. A bedside table was created from a pretty box which once contained a tube of hand cream.

2. My favourite bit here - an anglepoise reading lamp was made from a button, a pipe cleaner and the lid from my contact lens solution bottle.

3. An overhead lamp shade is provided by a silicone muffin case.

4. The plant pot is a contact lens container, covered in lace trim, with leaves made from some kind of crafty foam we found lying about the house.



5. The mouse bed is a box covered in felt, with cardboard drinking straw legs.

6. I crocheted a granny square blanket with embroidery threads and a tiny hook. I know this must sound like the behaviour of a mad woman, but actually it did not take that long.

7. A felt pillow is trimmed with lace and stuffed to a suitably plump shape.



8. We made a dressing table from a mini loaf cake tin liner (I think these have never actually been used for baking, but for crafting only) with straw legs and some bobble trim to cheer it up.

9. The same trim adorns a large button for a matching stool.

10. You know how when you get a new child's board game, the sort with counters that you move around, and when you set it up for the first time you have to push the little cardboard squares out of their templates? Well, the bit you are left with, a sort of empty cardboard grid, forms our window frame (and the picture frames too).

11. Lastly, Miss Mouse needs somewhere to hang her frock so we made a clothes rail from (another) drinking straw and fashioned a wonky coat hanger from a pipe cleaner.

It is papered with some yellow spot fabric and carpeted with felt. Miss Mouse likes it, and Bella likes it too. Her favourite part is the bed because she likes tucking them in, she told me.



**************************************************

One last thing - this blog is one year old today! This has completely caught me off guard, I have to say. I knew I started it in January last year, but I thought it was much later in the month. So I am woefully unprepared - I feel I ought to have a giveaway or do something celebratory. Instead, I'll cut myself a slice of Christmas cake and wish myself a happy bloggy birthday, and thank you all from the bottom of my heart for visiting and reading and making this blog such a thing of pleasure for me.


55 comments:

  1. What a lucky little mouse. Such a cheery bedroom, complete with a handmade crochet bedspread. Mouse heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot to say CoNgRaTs on your anniversary! So glad you started Tales. I've enjoyed getting to know you.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Gillian!

    This is such a cute little bedroom! I've always loved miniatures, and it's such a great project to enjoy with kids! Beautiful little room for some very cute little mice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Bloggy Birthday to you Gillian. Loving the lemon decor. Claire xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, brilliant, no wonder Bella loves her little mice rooms. The lemon theme is very pretty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on anniversary!
    The bedroom is amazing. Is it mainly done by you or Bella? She is so lucky to have such a mouse home (the mice are lucky too). I wonder which room comes next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Gillian

    Congratulations on your blogaversary. Your little minature room is gorgeous, and when I thik of what it's made with you are are so talented, no wonder Bella adores it.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing mouse boudoir. It's so cute - I would have loved playing with it when I was little. Happy Blogging Anniversary too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy bloggy anniversary, Gillian!!
    I love reading your blog and am always full of awe for the abundance of ideas, skills and beauty in each of your posts.
    Very much looking forward to catching up in real time soon, too.
    Love,
    Debora
    xx
    P.S. I LOVE the reading lamp: genius!! (but had to look up 'anglepoise' in the dictionary!!- thank you for adding to my vocabulary!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky little mouse to live in such a pretty little house ... congratulations on a year of blogging ... it's lovely to have 'met' you ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lucky mouse! Her boudoir looks enchanting! I absolutely love the miniature Granny square blanket - looks perfect! Happy Bloggy Birthday, Gillian and many happy returns! E x

    ReplyDelete
  11. a lovely mouse room. I love the little blanket of course! it's all very clever. Happy bloggy birthday, happy to have found you, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Radio 4. Love it. I LOVE the intellectual discussions - so so so above my head! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crochet blanket, bobble trim, and yellow straw legs.....I LOVE it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blog Birthday! Love the little house, and I love the fact that it's played with! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is fabulous Gillian - such attention to detail - just gorgeous.

    My mum used to spend days making shoebox houses for my sister and I when we were little.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to a happy house! Looking forward to reading about all the crafty things you'll be getting up to this year xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy blog-versary... and thank you for taking me back 40 years to the days I used to make cereal box houses for my Sindy dolls matchbox furniture and a postcard for a window; just like Valerie Singelton on Blue Peter... I guess I just never grew out of it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gillian, happy first Bloggy birthday :0)and Many happy returns.
    I love your shoe box bedroom ( and the wonderful Kitchen ). Crocheting with embroidery thread uses a suprising amount I find, but totally worth it , such a sweet granny bedspread !
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy bloggy birthday! And great shoebox bedroom too! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Blogiversary! Fabulous mouse boudoir, very inspiration!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very clever, very clever. Don't know how I will ever do such diddly work. My motor skills are too sloppy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy blogoversary! No giveaway needed.... the mouse house was well enough pleasure! What a desirable residence she has now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Gillian,
    Many happy bloggy returns of the day... The mouse bedroom is very sweet, you know you will have to make the whole house now!
    Ivan :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Blogoversary Gillian! I'm very pleased to have found my way over to your lovely space here. Your mouse house is fabulous! I would be very tempted to do one but my Godmother made something similar for me 30 years ago out -a whole house in a large shoebox - which my kids now love to play with. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary! The bedroom is gorgeous - many hours of play to be had there for your little one! Wish I was so creative ...
    June

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh! I would so move right in :) That's gorgeous Gillian... Bella is very lucky to have such a crafty Mommy! Happy little mice, off to bed.

    And happy blog anniversary! One year, my how times flies. Here's to another great year! X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Arggggg blogger ate my very long comment. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The shoebox bedroom is so adorable...I would even sleep there!! And happy blog anniversary! I am so glad you started this blog...it's such a happy place!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not surprised Bella likes it. It's exquisite. I'm in awe of your resourceful nimble fingers. Oh, and happy blogversary!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want to live in that little room please! Happy birthday to your lovely blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, you are SO talented! I read this post several times, scrolling up and down over and over again to take in the photos and your words. This is just wonderful, what a sweet memory for Bella. I dearly love dollhouses and miniatures. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh you are such a clever clogs, this is just so so gorgeous. Congrats on the bloggiversary, thought you had been blogging so much longer as your photos are superb. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy bloggy birthday - I am so happy that you have joined this world, your blog always makes me happy or thoughtful whenever you pop up with a new post. Love, love that bedroom, in fact could you come over and decorate mine?!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is one of the most gorgeous little things I've ever seen!
    Great job! I'm going to show my little girl this, her favorite color is yellow so I know she will just love it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  35. happy 1st bloggy birthday! I love your crafting skills. I have caught the crafting bug again and will be sharing my efforts soon! keep up the fantastic work Gillian. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an amazing tiny bedroom! The little crochet blanket is beautiful :)

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gillian, you are quite simply amazing. I love this little bedroom so much, I'd quite like to make one for our little mouse but it would never be as good as yours. And happy blogging birthday, I do so love reading it so here's to another great year to come. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I am sure you have probably had this before, but I have nominated you for the Liebster award thingy. The questions are over on my blog if you'd like to take part. x

      Delete
  38. It's so cute, and how lovely is it to see children playing with something home made? Not something you often see these days. Happy blog birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, beautiful!!! I wish you a happy first bloggy birthday! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy blogiversary! That anglepoise lamp is genius! Can't wait for another year of enjoying your lovely blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love this! My daughter had a whole warren of shoebox rooms for her family of miniature rabbits, all made out of bits and pieces, only instead of the room being open on the side, it was open on the roof. This lasted on and off for several years, providing many hours of enjoyment. She's now put them away, but we still have them:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love mini things, so this delighted me more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  43. So much cuteness in this boudoir! You and your daughter are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Happy Blogiversary! Love that little house - my mum and my sister used to little houses when I was little. Must start building with my kids! x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy Bloggy Birthday!!!

    The Mouse House bedroom is just perfect ... lucky mouse, lucky Bella :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Congratulations on your Bloggy Birthday, Gillian!!
    Now I have to ask, pretty place can I move in with you? For two reasons, you actually enjoyed housework, okay maybe that was a one-off. But two, you have such fun making gorgeous little mouse houses!! What fun!! Absolutely gorgeous, that lamp, the crochet using embroidery thread, the windows ... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm in complete awe of that mouse bedroom! Absolutely fantastic :-) I'm blown away by all the crafty ideas in one place!
    Happy Birthday to your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Happy one to you, and lucky mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, I love mousie's bedroom! You're so talented, it's amazing what you can find when you look at things from a different perspective. And happy bloggy birthday!! I'm a fairly new follower and really enjoy reading your blog :)
    Could I be cheeky and ask what size hook you used please? I've been wanting to try a bit of miniature crochet recently, but was having trouble guessing what size I'd need to order as 2mm seemed too big.
    aLittleBlonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there - thanks for your lovely comment. I think it was a number 1 but I can't be totally sure as the hook is ancient (it used to belong to my Grandma) and the writing on it is illegible! But it was a very thin, small hook. Hope that helps.

      Gillian x

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying (and letting me know!). I shall start with a number 1 and let you know how I get on!
      And thank you for popping over to my little blog as well, it's much appreciated :)
      aLittleBonde x

      Delete
  50. I love the tiny anglepoise! You are too good at this lol

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.