Saturday 5 January 2013

52 Weeks of Happy...12/52

Hello! Late again with the happies this week I'm afraid - it's been a funny old week what with one thing and another. Next week my posts will be much less erratic as the schools go back and we return to a more normal routine.

So, joining in with Jen at little birdie, here are the simple things that brought me happiness in the last week:

1. A nice bottle of red wine on New Years Eve, drunk with steak frites and salad. It was a quiet night in, just the two of us and a DVD, and the Christmas tree twinkling away in the corner.


2. Watching Angus enjoy my old toys during a visit to my parents last week. The Fisher Price hospital and school house made an appearance too - it's so lovely to see my children and their cousins enjoy those same toys thirty years later.


3. Bella was given this Sew Your Own Doll kit for her birthday, and sew it she did. Almost all on her own. I love seeing her enjoy any crafty activity. She just quietly and busily gets on with creative things like writing stories, drawing, sewing - she is currently making a "creation" with Hama beads.


4. A weird one, this, but it did make me happy. As I've mentioned before my Grandma passed away a few weeks ago. My sisters and Mum and I spent an afternoon going through her jewellery boxes, not only choosing things that would remind us of Grandma but choosing things we would enjoy wearing, for she did certainly enjoy her jewellery and would want us to do the same. I wore these pearls to her funeral with a black dress, and it was oddly comforting.


I'll be back tomorrow. I'm going to make a cup of tea now and catch up with some blog reading. Also, hello to my new followers! It is lovely to have you here and you are very welcome.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Gillian, I'm so sorry somehow I must have missed reading about your Grandma. I'm glad that wearing her pearls was comforting for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pearls are beautiful and I'm sure you will get lots of pleasure from them. Happy memories. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely happies as always Gillian ... love Bella's little doll and so glad you found comfort in wearing your grandma's pearls ... I have some belonging to my Granny too and they always remind me of her when I wear them ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss. The pearls are beautiful. Barolo is my favorite Italian red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I inherited my grandma's pearls when she died (many years ago now) - I don't wear them often but they always make me think of her. Know what you mean about comfort. Those grandmas are pretty special aren't they? X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm quite looking forward to having a routine back to as the boys are getting a bit bored now. Sorry to hear about your grandma it is a lovely necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely week! That bottle of red wine looks perfect for a quite evening at home. Love Love the pearls! I know they are so special to you.

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In November, my sister in law asked if I would like to pick something from my dear late mother in law's jewellery box. We spent a lovely evening looking at her things, with many bringing back memories for both of us.
    I chose a green glass bead necklace by Carrie Elspeth that we had given her for Mother's Day a few years ago. I recognise that comforting feeling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Looks like Bella is following in her Momma's footsteps :) And those pearls are so special and such a pretty choice. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steak frites salade is my all time favourite meal. The pearls were a perfect choice - timeless in their simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have my grandmother's gold wedding band and wear that every day, I loved her so much and it is really comforting to have something that was such a constant in her life with me now every day, I totally get the pearls thing, they are lovely. And your NYE sounds WAAY better than mine! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lovely reminder of your Grandma, I used to love my Grandmas jewelry box! Lovely little doll, talented daughter! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that your parents kept your old fisher price toys and that your children now play with them too. I love the doll that Bella made, what a fantastic job she did. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. My children play with my old fisher price toys at my mum's to they last so well. I too have a necklace of my grandmothers, a gold chain, which I wear everyday it is a constant reminder of her even though she died nearly twenty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My boy has the same bus :-) It belonged to my husband and his siblings. I love that he plays with toys that my husband played with too! Your granny's necklace is gorgeous! My gran moved in with my mum a year ago and we were lucky enough to 'inherit' a few pieces of her furniture. It's great having pieces of her history in our home. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of your photos are lovely, I absolutely adore pearls, I can't have enough pearls, but what really caught my eye was that bus! How awesome is that old fashioned school bus?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the fisher price bus has brought back some memories for me!! I love your Gran's pearls and something as simple as wearing is an amazing comfort, in some way she is still close. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Gillian,
    Those pearls are beautiful and are so special - I have a pair of cuff links from each of my Granddad's which both mean so much when I wear them (one for luck and one for strength). Love the doll Bella so beautifully made, what a good gift! Have a good week!
    Ivan x

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful tribute to your Grandmother, wearing her pearls :-) It's amazing how much little things can be of such great comfort when we are grieving. Condolences on your loss, and thank you for sharing your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That doll is amazing! As are the pearls. How lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pearls - pleased you wore them for your Grandmas funeral. I have a brooch from my grandmother who died when I was 14 years old. I used to wear it a lot but unfortunately lost some of the stones (I think from catching it on my seatbelt!) I am pleased to have had some wear out of it though xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. a lovely post! It really is the simple things that make life good :)

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Steak frite salad?? I wonder if we have something comparable here in the states.

    Have a great evening!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.