Tuesday 26 March 2013

A Geometric-Inspired Cushion


You know how I described our weekend as slow? Well, so far this week feels fast. Fast and busy. And that magical, deep, deep, snow that so enchanted me? It can go now, I've had enough. Enough of multiple pairs of socks, of icy pavements and snow piled up by the side of the road so that you can't park. Anywhere. Enough of wearing my ski jacket every single day, of cancelled plans, of chapped hands and lips. How I would love to skip out of the front door wearing footwear other than boots, minus a coat, and walk carefree along the pavements without wondering which bit of treacherous, slippery ice will catch me out.

In other news, I have made a cushion. I have been stitching away here and there over the last week or so. I have been very inspired by this wave of colourful geometric pattern I am seeing everywhere lately, on clothes, on fabric, in prints and design. I am drawn to the regularity of the pattern and the bright and happy use of colour. I feel in need of colour lately, a response to the cold weather no doubt.



I had a plain, unbleached cotton cushion cover* lying around, ready to go. I made myself a little cardboard template of a right-angled triangle, measuring 11 x 11 x 16cm and started cutting out triangles from the pile of crafting felt I have stashed away.

If you are feeling in need of a little cheap, easy and creative fun on a rainy or snowy afternoon, then I highly recommend this activity. Just start cutting and playing. It needn't be a cushion - a plain tote bag would be a fun blank canvas to decorate. 

I cut out my triangles and started to play around with colours and arrangements...


I settled on this design below and then used bondaweb to stick my triangles in position before I started sewing. 



I didn't want the stitching to stand out so I chose threads as close to the colour of the felt as possible, and used a very small straight stitch. It took around twenty minutes to hand sew each triangle in place. Not that quick, I know, but I will always prefer a little hand sewing in front of the tv to sitting hunched over the sewing machine.


So there you have it, one pretty easy and very cheap cushion.


Currently I like it on the grey sofa in the living room, but it will be moved around at some point. I think it might have been more effective on a pure white background, rather than the unbleached cotton, but I like it, very much, and it can stay.



********************************************

* I bought the cushion cover from John Lewis a while back - this one - but they are out of stock currently. Also, The Clever Baggers are a good stockist for plain cotton bags, tea towels, aprons, t shirts and other things, while I think of it. 

35 comments:

  1. Its gorgeous Gillian....another great make.
    Thanks for sharing and all the inspiration.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that. It's colorful and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cushion and I am so tempted to have a go but I seem to want to do far to many things at the moment - I may need to start a list x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Really lovely sewing project, love your arrangement of the colours. Hope the snow melts & spring arrives soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Gillian! The design is so pretty and the colors are bright and happy! It's just gorgeous against your grey sofa. And the daffodils are very lovely, too! I agree!! This cold weather can go away any time...it's freezing here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Gillian ... geometrics are cool ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely. I'm scared of sewing! Never really got the hang of it! But I'm trying to make a crochet hook case at the moment. Funnily enough I've bought felt so I don't have to worry about edges. I don't think it will be as beautiful as your cushion though.
    Luckily no snow here - but it's freezing. In fact, colder than Iceland where my son has been on a Geography field trip! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How easy was that? It looks very effective too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how simple that is to make and how striking it is when finished. We just brought a dark brown leather couch which is a total departure from what I usually choose and it needs some brightening up. I'll have to file this idea away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought triangles were glued or something - stitching is invisible! Well done! And I see a real metryoshka! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done on that cushion, lady! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really lovely! So colourful and effective. I love the little Russian doll in the last photo too.
    M xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your colourful geometric cushion is gorgeous! Perfect for cheering up these seemingly endless cold days. Thank you for the link to The Clever Baggers too - what a useful site! Hope Spring arrives soon! E x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it. I think the design you settled on is great! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its gorgeous Gillian, so bright and cheery. Hope all the snow is gone soon, we dont have any here but its so freezing. I cant wait to be able to just pop out without all the layering up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks fantastic. I'm loving felt so much at the moment. It's so lovely to sew isn't it? Thanks for the link to the clever baggers. Going to check it out now. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's lovely. A simple design can be very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love it! Just had to pin it - hope that's ok? x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks lovely on the grey background, very chic, very effective and extra special because it was made by hand :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your cushion ( kussen in Dutch). So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks great, I love the bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Simple and very effective...love the bit where you can just play around with the shapes before you stick them down...my problem is I'm never able to make a decision! X

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful bright cushion Gillian.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's such a cheery cushion! It makes me feel spring like even though the weather outside is still rubbish! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks very nice on your gray sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great, and cheery. Good idea for felt and I too must do something while watching TV at night. Hope the weather picks up, and guess what? It is raining here!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful cushion! You are so talented! I'm thinking about putting more teal in my home, I have just fallen in love with that color as of late!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun project. Easy, yet packs a big punch. You always have such clever ideas Gillian.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love their colors
    and the geometric design is so cool and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The perfect colourful antidote to all the grey and cold.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it Gillian! The arrangement you chose is perfect and I really admire the way you just jump into a project and get it done :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  32. How lovely and cheery, those colours are perfect. Hope that snow leaves you soon, I actually saw blue sky today - there is hope! x

    ReplyDelete
  33. It really is perfect, and jolly cheerful on a gloomy day. I have cushion envy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your cushion! Inspired to put some triangles on something . . .


    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.