Monday 18 February 2013

A Rainbow Baby Blanket


I really did enjoy making this little blanket - choosing the yarn, watching the piles of squares add up, crocheting them together - but not as much as I enjoyed seeing it wrapped around a delicious, smiley twelve week old baby girl. What I like about making gifts is how much I think about the person it is intended for while I'm making it. And it saves money too - after all, my passion for crafting was born when I stopped work and we were suddenly on an extremely tight budget.

I used the Summer Garden Granny Square pattern from Lucy's Attic24 blog. It really is the most joyful blog - colourful, happy and full of an impressive array of inspiring patterns and clear tutorials. I joined my squares "on the go" which I find much quicker than sewing or crocheting them together, and you can find a tutorial here

Here is the blanket before the border...


and after.


I crocheted one row all the way round of treble stitch clusters, as you would in a granny square, but followed Jacquie's method of decreasing stitches for a non-ripply border, details of which can be found here. Jacquie's blog is also a wonderful place, packed full of her love of crochet and craft and enjoying the outdoors. Isn't blogland just the most fantastic resource of information and advice? Anyway, the border...I then worked another round of granny square clusters, followed by a round of triple stitches crocheted into the top of each stitch, and finished with a little row of double stitches in pink cotton. I think my favourite part is the neat (ish) row of pale pink stitches around the edge. I wanted a simple border because it's a busy pattern, and I am happy with how it turned out.

But the border was an experiment and not without it's mistakes...I wasn't sure how by much to increase the stitches in each corner, so just added a couple more in the corner points where I though they were needed. It is still a little rippled but after I took this photo I blocked it and it looked a whole lot neater after that. 

It measures 50 cm or 20 inches by 60 cm or 24 inches, so it is small. It is quite lightweight and weighs just under 200g, and it is all made from cotton yarn.

While I was fretting over the border, John said "Gill, it's a baby blanket, it will soon be covered in sick", and bless him for his blunt Northern perspective, for he is totally right. It is a blanket to be used everyday, to go in and out of the washing machine and tumble dryer, to be pegged on the washing line and blown about by the wind, to be thrown over car seats, prams and cots, to be dragged in and out of the house and tossed into the boot of the car.

And, judging by the photos I snapped on my phone, baby seemed happy with it.


I hope you are all well. We are currently staying with my parents on the South coast. We've been having a rather lovely time, catching up with friends and family, eating, walking on the beach, flying kites and relaxing by the woodburning stove in the evening. Thanks as always for dropping by and a big, warm hello there to my new followers - it's good to have you here.

59 comments:

  1. So very beautiful Gillian! Lovely colours and a very happy bub there under it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful blanket - bet it will be much loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours are gorgeous - it truly is gorgeous.

    Happy half term and holidaying,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous blanket, gorgeous baby!
    Have a lovely (sunny?) week
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really lovely! Brilliant work - how I wish I could crochet! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a lovely blanket - lucky baby (who looks lovely too!)
    Have an excellent holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Gillian
    It is a gorgeous blanket and I'm sure will become much loved, played with and dragged about!
    Congratulations on a beautiful make.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blanket - I love the colours. Enjoy your break in the south. Hope you had a sunny day - I'm in Sussex and it was glorious! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out beautifully Gillian and perfect colours for Spring/Summer. Gorgeous baby too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blanket is beautiful and the sunburst granny squares are really effective ... hope you have a lovely time on your holiday ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one beautiful quilt...and the baby snuggled up in it is so adorable!! I hope you are enjoying your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful blanket and the border makes it look even more beautiful. Hope you're having a wonderful time beside the seaside! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gillian, it is already much loved! She is currently sleeping under it. Your efforts and the love that goes into them are genuinely truely appreciated. Thank you so much for giving something so special to me sweet one. She will love it as much as we do! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! And that pink edging really sets it off nicely!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it is so lovely - as is Abigail's scrummy little one! Well done for pouring all that love into it - it's beautiful and I'm sure it'll be treasured (even after it's had sick on it!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful blanket and baby! The blanket came out so nice. I have plans for a blanket for my daughter using the summer garden squares; it's one of about five I have in the queue...so many projects to try. Glad to hear you're having a nice stay with your family, enjoy yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! And I think that narrow pink edge really pulls it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so lovely! a perfect baby blanket, sweet and bright
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous blanket, I wish I could crochet...
    And that baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely wonderful....both e blanket and the baby...
    I have an award for you ...when u have some time ... Go check it out !

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is one beautiful blanket. You did such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gillian, it's absolutely gorgeous! Love the way the white sets off the colours so nicely. Well done you! And those pics with the recipient are just SO sweet! I love that summer garden square pattern - it's extremely effective and Lucy's instructions are always so clear and easy to follow. E x

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blanket is awesome! I liked how you arranged the squares, lovely combination of colors!
    Baby is surely happy:) so cute little boy! You've done such a nice job.
    Have a nice time with parents, enjoy!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

  24. Gillian, without sounding crass your blog is so inspiring!! I adore this little blanket. I also love how you persevere with a project even when it gets a little tricky. Tenacious!

    I have a sewing machine mailingering under the bed. Now Olly has started nursery I am going to bite the bullett and get it out. Some simple cushion covers to start me off, I think. How did you learn to crochet? Was it trial and error, or did someone show you?

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!I learnt to crochet on a day course run by my local wool shop. I found it very hard to begin with and didn't take to it very easily - it's taken me a year to pluck up the courage to make anything but granny squares! Best £40 I ever spent though. x

      Delete
  25. Gillian it a beautiful blanket, with a beautiful baby wrapped up in it......yep, it's gonna get lots of use!!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful blanket and beautiful baby. I love the colours you've used, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The colours that you've used are lovely. It's such a jolly blanket and the baby is beautiful. A piece to treasure I'm sure! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks lovely, and it's so nice to see it in use!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful blanket - thank you for the edging tip x

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's gorgeous! One day I WILL find the time to learn to crochet but even then I doubt I'll have the patience to make something as beautiful as that. That baby and her mum and dad are so lucky to have a friend like you to make that for them. X

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful blanket.
    I love Lucy's blog. Actually it was her, her lovely crochet, colourful images that inspired me to try croheting. And I am forever grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness, the baby blanket is absolutely gorgeous! I love it, the colours are just perfect. Looks like the recipient is pretty pleased with it too!
    M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Gillian, you did a wonderful job with this blanket. I think cotton yarn is perfect for babies and your colour choices are spot on . Thank you so much for all the lovely things you said about my blog....I feel the same is true of yours and hope you are going to Yarndale ?
    Enjoy your holiday.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  34. what a lovely lovely gift!! gift of love. I'm working on the first blanket for twins to be born this spring.....and I know what you mean about thinking about the baby....and stitching in all that love. (That little one is sure adorable---definitely seems to be loving her blankie!)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow Gillian, it's absolutely beautiful! Well done. Col x

    ReplyDelete
  36. So pretty, love the colours against the white :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful, you have such talent! Must say the boarder really finishes the look perfectly. Enjoy the half-term break!
    Ivan x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Gillian,
    Wow the blanket looks great!
    Hope you're having a lovely break, thanks again for the 'like' on my page, that was kind of you.
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great blanket and phone pics.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  40. Baby blankets are my favorite thing to make. There's something so fun about stitching away, while imagining that new little person napping under your handiwork. Plus, you know it's gonna get some heavy use so it feels so purposeful or something.

    I love how it turned out - like watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  41. it's really gorgeous and the border has worked really well. A nice project! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  42. No matter what happens in the life of this blanket, I think it's important to get the border just right. It's gorgeous! And what a sweet little baby : -)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my goodness, I'm running a little late for this Welcome-Baby-Blanket Party; I'm so sorry! Gillian, it is absolutely gorgeous! I love your eye for colour and those shades really shout out spring to me; my favourite season! Yay! Enjoy your time on the south coast.

    warmest wishes from sunny France,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  44. How gorgeous! What beautiful colours :-) Baby looks adorable and I'll bet will treasure that wonderful gift for many, many years x

    ReplyDelete
  45. That's beautiful, what an amazing gift!

    ReplyDelete
  46. An absolutely gorgeous blanket Gillian. Lovely pastel colours for a baby.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  47. The blanket is gorgeous - I do love the contrast of bright colours with white, though it'll be a long while yet before mine is anywhere near finished. And I loved John's comment! Looking forward to hearing all about your holiday - bore away! x

    ReplyDelete
  48. It's beautiful Gillian, and so is the recipient. So much time taken over such a wonderful gift, it will be cherished I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. It's gorgeous, the pink edging really pulls it all together.What a lovely gift. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  50. This is the sweetest little baby blanket ever! I want to make one for my bed when I've learned to crochet. Thanks for the links, I'll be looking them up!

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is so beautiful … and I can feel the love that worked into it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  52. sorry I'm catching up with your posts :) this blanket is so beautiful, I love the colours x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.