Wednesday 6 February 2013

Biscuits For Your Valentine


Hello there! As promised, a little something for Valentine's Day, which is only a week away. Of course you can make these at any time - I just wanted to play with my new heart shaped cookie cutters. Make round ones and call them Jammy Dodgers, or star shaped ones at Christmas time, egg or bunny shapes for Easter...there are as many variations as there are cookie cutter shapes. My mother-in-law, Jean, gave me this recipe recently and she calls them Anglesey biscuits. She makes them often and they are always buttery, softly crumbly and sweet. 

You will need:

225g/8oz unsalted butter
110g/4oz caster sugar
350g/12oz self raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
raspberry jam
icing sugar for dusting

  • Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F
  • In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. 
  • Add the flour and mix well. It will look like breadcrumbs at this stage. 
  • Get in there with your hands and mix/knead until a dough comes together. It is a  rather crumbly dough to begin with, but the more you roll and work the dough, the easier it becomes.
  • Roll out to roughly ¼ inch or ½ cm thick and cut out an even number of shapes. Half of these will be your bottoms - put those to one side. 
  • Using a smaller matching cookie cutter, cut a hole in the centre of the other half of your biscuits to make the tops. 
  • Bake for 7 or 8 minutes on a baking tray/cookie sheet. You want quite a pale colour. 
  • When they are cool, spread jam onto the bottom halves of your biscuits and sandwich together. 
You can leave them pale and interesting, or sprinkle icing sugar on the tops before placing them on to their jam covered partners. The icing sugar is a good way to hide any, ahem, slightly too brown biscuits, which is NOT what happened to me, I promise.

Ours will be a low-key Valentine's celebration - assuming John remembers, of course, otherwise it might be quite a high stress occasion. But he's never forgotten yet. I did once forget our wedding anniversary, something John has never let me live down, but in my defence I was two or three months pregnant with Bella at the time. We always exchange cards and usually a little present like a new book or cd. We'll eat something nice at home and share a bottle of wine and probably do something incredibly exciting like watch an episode of Borgen





35 comments:

  1. Yummy! That jam looks so ruby and sticky!! Love the heart cutters too. Biscuits are not something I tend to make but these look great. Must give them a go x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and by the by... you won the little giveaway on my blog! I'll email you in a bit to exchange details! Well done :) Hazel x

      Delete
    2. Woo hoo! Thanks so much Hazel. xx

      Delete
  2. Dear Gillian
    Those biscuits look delicious and very beautiful! I may well have to give them a try. Jammy Dodgers - yum - even if they did stick your teeth together. Yours look much more refined.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhh YUM YUM,Definately going to try these lovelies,
    Thanks for sharing
    Hope all's well
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Our much waited for little man was born on Valentines day so we have a birthday celebration. We still manage to squeeze in a bottle of bubbles though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The biscuits look yummy I am going to give them a go for Valentines day x Your Valentines day sound quite like ours will be xx Maybe I might be lucky and the hubby will get me something nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valentine's day is a bit of a trial for us divorcees! So I'm going to have a go at your biccies as celebrate myself with someting yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute biscuits Gillian ... they look delicious ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha - I demand some of those biscuits at the school gates tomorrow! They look delish. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely Valentines celebration to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! I've been looking for a good biscuit recipe - I have an amazing chewy cookie recipe but kids love using cutters and cookies are no good for that! Thanks for sharing...we don't go mad for Valentines but a takeaway and a nice bottle of wine - and an episode of something gripping - sounds perfect. Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gillian,
    These look really cute, I shall give them a go for fun! The Yorkshire puddings come out a treat (super tall), so thank you. I think my tin was not as hot as it should be previously, so great tip and explanation!
    Ivan :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so beautiful...too pretty to eat!! We always celebrate Valentine's Day at home. I will probably make a nice dinner and Charlotte and I will make something sweet to eat that day. It's such a fun holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! They're so pretty and perfect. I would almost be reluctant to eat them...almost.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such sweet heart biscuits! They look so lovely. My mum has a recipe similar to your mother in laws which she calls empire biscuits, I'm not sure if that's just the Scottish name for those types of biscuits? Anyway, thank you very much for the recipe, and I love your new cookie cutters.
    M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are edible, as I am sure are the biscuits! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to give your biscuit recipe a try I love baking - this will be a good thing to do with the little ones over half term x

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look delish. We tend to ignore Valentines as my Birthday is a few days later and as long as Legoman remembers that it is all good. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Gillian!
    Mm..wonderful looking heart cookies! Thanks for the recipe! Love it:)
    This year me and my D are not in Valentine's mood, may be because of work load, but I'm sure I can make these beautiful cookies to create holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your heart-shaped Valentine's biscuits look absolutely gorgeous, Gillian! Love the neat cut out shape that survives so clearly after baking. Some recipes are good with this and others less so I've found. I am bookmarking this one because it's clearly one of the best. Thank you so much! Love the icing sugar finish against the jam by the way - looks almost, but not quite, too good to eat! E x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the recipe, will give them a go with little one. We have a heart shaped cookie cutter so good to go! And Borgen...Oh I just loved it. In case you haven't finished I won't say anything else! Hooray there's a third series! Watched The Bridge last year too which was great. Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  21. They're perfect for Valentine's Day. It's something we never celebrate, but I may have to make these anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've just bookmarked this. It looks delicious! I also made some jammy biscuits at the weekend but they didn't look nearly as nice! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look fab. Popping them on my to bake list

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look good enough to eat right now. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such beautiful photographs of the sweetest things ever! Thank you for the recipe sharing too. My daughter and I once madesimilar biscuits but we put a boiled sweet in the empty heart space when we baked them and they came out like stain glass window bikkies. I love how the icing sugar looks on yours. My hubby may well forget V day, we don't make a big thing of it here. I have surprised myself and am well prepared with my card already bought ! I might just make him some heart shaped biscuits too x Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  26. so pretty! i bet they taste pretty good too...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yum. These look as pretty as they must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How delightful. And you photos are wonderful. Makes me want to run to the kitchen and bake!! Thanks for sharing your recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Gillian,
    Thanks for your lovely comments! The wooden objects on my shelf are a mixture of darning mushrooms and butter pats.
    Your biscuits look fab, how I wish I could bake like you!
    Essie x

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look yummy! You really can't beat a jammy splodger!
    Alex x

    ReplyDelete
  31. love your heart cookies-the recipe looks delicious

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.