Sunday 3 February 2013

Yorkshire Puddings and Toad in the Hole


Today in the UK it is Yorkshire Pudding Day. I only discovered this yesterday and, given that we live in Yorkshire and a few of you asked for my (well, John's) Yorkshire pudding recipe, I couldn't let this day go unmarked, or unblogged. 

We actually ate Toad in the Hole, which is sausages cooked in Yorkshire pudding batter in the oven, and very tasty it was too. I have no idea where the name for that dish comes from. When I told Bella what we were having for tea she looked very worried. I think she thought I'd gone mad and just made up a silly name. We ate it with Colcannon which is a very delicious Irish dish made from mashed potatoes mixed with greens (we used curly kale) and lots of butter. I used Sue's recipe and it was a great success with John and I, but not with the children who used their special radar which tells them to distrust anything green which is not a pea.

Yorkshire Puddings

The mixture, or batter, consists of eggs, flour and milk. It is essentially a pancake batter of sorts. People get very superstitious about their recipes and methods round here and will only use certain pans, that sort of thing. John still maintains that his Grandad Ted, who was Yorkshire born and bred, made the best ones ever and he's never tasted one so good. Grandad Ted used a particular pan which was ONLY to be used for the Yorkshire puddings and nothing else, and it was not washed up after use but carefully wiped and stored away. Also, traditionally the Yorkshire pudding was eaten first, with some gravy made from the juices of the roast meat, before the main meal of the meat, potatoes and vegetables. This was a good way to make the expensive part of the meal, the meat, stretch further.

To get your Yorkshire puddings to rise well you need to do two things - leave the batter to rest before you cook it, and make sure the oil is very, very hot.

You need:

3 eggs
4oz/120g plain flour
½ pint/275ml milk
pinch of salt
vegetable oil

  • Mix the eggs and flour together in a bowl with a balloon whisk or in a food mixer. 
  • Add the milk and salt and mix well. 
  • Leave to stand for half an hour at least before you want to use it. 
  • Pre-heat your oven to about 220­°C or 430°F (very hot!). 
  • You can make lots of little Yorkshire Puddings in a muffin tray, or one big one in a roasting tray. Chose your dish and pour some vegetable oil into the bottom - enough to give it a good, even covering. 
  • Put the dish into your hot oven and wait for the oil to heat. About ten minutes should do it. 
  • Take out the dish and very carefully pour in the batter. It will splatter. That is good. 
  • Put back in the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. 20 minutes will give you a crispy top and a fluffy inside, 30 minutes will give you a darker colour and altogether crunchier pudding. It's up to you.
You can also eat Yorkshire puddings as a dessert, with whipped cream and golden syrup. I've never done this but it does sound rather good.

Toad in the Hole

You need simply some nice, good quality sausages, a jug full of Yorkshire pudding batter and a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil. Brown your sausages in the oil for five minutes in a pan which can be used on the hob and in the oven.


Pour the batter directly into the pan on top of and around the sausages.



See how the batter sizzles and bubbles in the oil? That's what you want.


Bake for around 30 minutes in a hot oven, 220°C or 430­°F.


Cut into big slabs and eat with gravy and whatever else takes your fancy. Hearty, stodgy, wonderful, winter food.

Sorry about the rubbish photos - electric light, kitchen chaos and hungry children got in the way.


35 comments:

  1. It all looks delicious ~ I love colcannon and it goes so well with toad in the hole. Comfort food at it's very best :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yorkshire pudding is one of our favourites (but not very easy to photograph). Must try the dessert version of Yorkshire pudding - sounds yummy xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gillian,
    Thank you for a perfect post, 'Yorkshire pudding' being a top favourite of mine. I must have 15 odd recipes and I shall try John's recipe also, it does look good (and being authentic!! We have Yorkshire blood but a bit too far back for a recipe!). Now I am going to have to make some tomorrow!
    Best wishes to you all,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I didn't know it was Yorkshire pudding day! Thank you so much for the recipes, I have never tried toad in the hole but must give it a go as it looks amazing and something we would all love I think. I had a wee chuckle to myself wondering what was going through your wee girl's mind when you told her it was toad in the hole for tea!! Love your fabric leaves below too, very pretty.
    M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yorkshire Pudding Day! If only I'd known as my daughter loves them and I was already making pancake batter. I've never had them with golden syrup either though Nigella makes it look very tempting. Your photos, as always, are gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We loooooove toad in the hole. Comfort food at its best. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yorkshire pudding day - I've never heard of it but am gutted that I missed it :( Date in my diary for next time though.
    We did have frozen Yorkshire Puddings with our roast dinner today does that count? They are just not the same as home made but I can never get them right. Too dense, too oily or just right but stuck to the tin. I'm going to follow your tutorial and give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy Gillian! And happy Yorkshire pudding day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't realises today was Yorkshire Pudding Day but luckily we did have yummy Homemade Yorkshire Puds with our roast I wonder if the reason they rose so high was due to it being Yorkshire Pudding Day! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wondered what a Yorkshire pudding was and have wanted to try it. Now, I suppose I will. What an odd weekend. I was just discussing Yorkshire pudding on Friday night (this is NOT a conversation I usually have, ever) because I saw it mentioned on a television program--Death in Paradise--something they just started showing here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!!! This looks so delicious...perfect cold weather food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious ... and I love colcannon ... perfect combination ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to give this recipe a go it looks yummy :) I always look forward to your posts x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never really knew what this dish was. Thank you for the elucidation and the directions. I hope you enjoyed your meal, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only ever had yorkshire pudding once and thought it was very yummy indeed. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tasted a yorkshire pudding. Thanks for the recipe. Need to try it. It is snowing hard here and this kind of meal will be great I quess.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look fabulous, can't believe I missed Yorkshire Pudding Day! Yorkshire pudding making is mans work in the house I just cannot get them to rise as high as Jim's no matter what I do. It injures my pride every time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh Gillian, real comfort food, just right for this miserable cold weather! You've made me feel really hungry now ...

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know there was such a thing as Yorkshire Pudding Day. We'll be having them tonight along with our roast pork, we eat them with any meat in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE Toad in the Hole - food of my childhood! My dad was a proud Yorkshire man who got very cross at people who got Yorkshire Pud and batter puds mixed up. Either way it's all yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. yummy! I'm a vegetarian but I still love a yorkshire pudding! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thinking of cooking something nice for my family this coming weekend and you just gave me a great idea :)


    www.vindiebaby.com
    Vintage Inspired Fashion by Independent Designers for Your Little darling

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, just came across your blog and seeing as you're a local (I live a few miles from Leeds) I had to comment! Who knew it was yorkshire pud day? We eat them ridiculously often but I didn't know they were celebrated with their own anniversary :) I've never used a recipe for them but I'm obviously a bit stingier than you - I'd only use 1 egg for that amount of flour. Looks yummy though! You'll need plenty more of this sort of food in the next few days I think, it's getting cold again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, scrumptious looking dish! Going off island this Thursday and putting this on my list of ingredients to shop for! Ex-RAF hubby's eyes just popping! Thanks for the recipe!
    Never knew there was a Yorkshire Pudding Day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Every day could be YP day for me, I LOVE them to bits!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  26. sounds so scrummy - I love good traditional food on cold wintery days :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. One word - yum! BTW - I quite like cold YP's with jam. Mmm! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh yum, it looks delicious...I've never had Yorkshire Pudding before but would love to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks amazing! I have page marked this. Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  30. yum! i've always wanted to try toad in a hole. looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My very first attempt at making toad in the hole was a huge success. Being from the states and always wanting to try this dish, I'm not sorry I did. Thank you for sharing such an easy and great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.