Sunday 8 May 2016

Suddenly Summer





Lying in bed reading with the balcony doors open and the breeze blowing in. Breakfast in the garden. Weeding and cutting, potting and planting, tidying and sweeping outside. Everything in the garden suddenly green and growing fast. Lunch in the sun. Drinking tea with my sister in her garden. The children playing outside all day long, scooting and cycling and running around. Paddling pools. Cutting flowers to bring indoors. Walking barefoot on the grass. Long, cool baths for the kids before bed to wash off the grime and sun cream. Gin and tonic. Sleeping with the windows wide open.


*

It's hard to believe we were experiencing snow showers just ten days ago. It seems that we've gone straight from winter to summer without a proper spring, not that I'm complaining. These fleeting warm days are such a blessing and we have to seize them - especially when they fall on a weekend - because you never know when it will be warm and dry next.

I've had the loveliest of weekends. The weather has been completely and utterly glorious. We abandoned plans to go the beach today (the queues!) and hung out in my parents' garden instead. They have a superior paddling pool (they really do) and the kids set up a run and jump thing with a trampoline which kept them entertained for hours. I've worked really, really hard in the garden lately; sometimes it dawns on me just how much garden I have to keep up with now, but I persevere. I've spent a lot of time working on the border my mum and I created this time last year. It's looking really established considering how new it is, full of colour and variety, and I'm delighted. 


It's not very tidy, as there are daffodidils and hyacinths dying down here and there, but it's full of purple tulips (Queen of the Night I believe - their purple-black colour is wonderfully dark and dramatic), red wall flowers and hot pink azalea japonica just for starters.


 All those shrubs I transplanted from my sister Katy's garden have taken beautifully. I can't remember what half of them are but it will be fun to watch them flower. Also, my other sister, Anna, gave me two tiny hollyhock plants last summer, bought for pence from a stall at a local fete. I forgot all about them but noticed today that they are currently about a foot wide and as high and in full leaf. I really hope they flower this year. I just love hollyhocks and they would provide so much colour and height against the wooden fence. I'm so excited to see what the garden does this year. 

I hope you've all had good weekends, wherever you are, and that the weather has been kind to you. Thank you for your words of encouragement on the kitchen - I can feel you all cheering me on and it's lovely. Not long now. The cooker arrives on Tuesday. To say I am looking forward to that would be something of an understatement. 

Have a great week. 

23 comments:

  1. It looks very summery in your part of the world, glad you enjoyed your sunny weekend. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to spend a sunny weekend. Sunday here was very dreary. Your garden is looking so good for a new one and do love those dark tulips. Your hollyhock should flower this year, just lots talking to it, keeping moist and fed.(same as family, lol). Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garden looks amazing, love the dark tulips. Still like summer down here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As our Sunday afternoon is dwindling I just came back inside from a Mother's Day cook out. The sun came out after a cloudy morning and the temps encourage jackets if you are sitting still, but not if you are busy little girls buzzing around playing with dolls on happy adventures. I was quizzing our guests about some of the names of the plants we have that are unknown to me, and enjoyed seeing your garden and learning what you have planted and why. Your weekend sounded like a lovely pause before you dash into the new week :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had a beautiful weekend, Have Great week,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been a beautiful weekend hasn't it. Gorgeous photos - I love the one of Bella and Angus having fun with the paddling pool and mini trampoline. Those tulips are beautiful. Here's to more sunny weekends. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hasn't it been fabulous. So many of your posts take me back to a time when my boys were young. In the garden in the paddling pool of water pistol fights (that super soaker was awesome) which went on well into their teens. Now it a walk with Dan and a discussion about Corbin and the Lib Dems! Still fun though, x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That double width border looks stunning, I knew it would. I have been suffering with a bad back and garden jobs are stacking up around my ears. I am hoping for a slightly stress free week. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bed, book, balcony door wide open and a breeze sounds dreamy! It does feel as if we have skipped spring this year... though the garden looks like it has squeezed in all the spring growth last week when my back was turned and suddenly it's summer and oh my those weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your post title - it really sums up the weekend we've just had. Ice creams and paddling pools and eating outside...what's not to love? Your garden looks really lovely, too - all those blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great to hear that your life is not only dust these days! Your kitchen renewal sounds tiresom to be true, but I'm sure you'll end up thinking it was all worth it.
    Your garden looks great! It's so fulfilling to establish a new garden and to see things work out well. But oh yes, it demands a lot of hours spent on garden work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds really wonderful, Gillian. I'm glad you've had such nice weather to enjoy. Hopefully it continues for a while. Your garden is looking very nice, your hard work has definitely paid off. I hope you have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Gillian,
    Summer arrived here this week, but disappeared at the weekend! I still managed to get out into the garden though. Your border looks lovely; full of colour and interest. Olly would like a paddling pool for the garden very much.
    Have a lovely week.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful garden! I envy you your hollyhocks, I have tried to grow them here but no luck. Looks so summery where you are! X

    ReplyDelete
  15. It went from winter to summer overnight didn't it. Your garden is looking gorgeous, that tulip colour is absolutely divine. I love it with bright pink, one of my favourite flower colour combinations. I'm glad you had such a good weekend. The magical weather just transforms everything doesn't it. Fingers crossed for the cooker tomorrow, I shall look forward to hearing about the first thing you make. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have just read this post and I'm hoping on your behalf that the cooker is in and working! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's tuesday! Looking forward to seeing pics of your stove and all of the tasty things you'll make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you're enjoying your new cooker, Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It certainly was a glorious weekend and like you we just spent time in the garden. Not sure what's happening this week with the weather here but, I live in hope.
    Glad you had great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gor-geous atmospheric photos, Gillian! Love Queen of the Night tulips. I first saw them at Sissinghurst, in terracotta pots with bright flame/orange tulips, it's surprising how this really deep blackish purple looks so good with flame colour.
    Down here in the so-called "English Riviera" it hasn't been that warm, and we've had constant showers, not heavy ones, but enough to get thoroughly wet. But they're good for the garden.
    Looking forward to more photos of the kitchen as it progresses.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden is looking good, I love those dark purple tulips and the wallflowers too. Fingers crossed the oven is now in and the rest of the kitchen comes together nice and quickly now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was great wasn't it? We had family over for a barbecue, the paddling pool came out too. There may have been pimms! Love it!

    S x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.