Thursday 26 May 2016

Kitchen Update 4

Thank you for the compliments you paid my napkins, and more importantly for your supportive words about my misplaced crafting mojo. It will return, it always does. I am actually feeling quite chipper tonight. I went on a very long and hilly run with my sister this morning and I felt so good about it afterwards, felt a real sense of achievement. It was my first run in about six weeks and I was worried about how my fitness might have suffered, what with all the crap I've been eating lately, but it was good. Hard, but good. I know I will be very sore tomorrow but it felt great to move and stretch my muscles and feel alive. The weather was lovely and the everything so green and pretty. I took this photo when we got to the top of the hill.


I'm also upbeat because tomorrow we break up from school for a week long half term holiday. We have no plans, just a list of house and garden jobs, but John has most of the week off and I'm looking forward to some family time and some lazy mornings.

It's been a few weeks since I showed you any progress in the kitchen but I have been snapping away here and there, recording the developments, and have some here to show you tonight. 

The worktops were fitted. It's really hard to see what they look like in a photo but they are grey quartz and flecked with a lovely sparkle which catches the light.


The cupboards and doors still wear their protective plastic coating and will do until the floor is down and the last of the dusty jobs are over.


The tap was fitted and we now have hot and cold running water, and a plumbed in dishwasher. Amazing! An integrated dishwasher would've looked better but we only bought that one you see above a year ago and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, so it stays.


The cooker is in it's place. I'm really happy about the amount of worktop we have either side, which I hope will make baking and food preparation much easier than before. 


Various panels and covers and whatnot still need to be attached to the front and top of the cooker but we can do that later. The kitchen fitters are coming back tomorrow to connect the electrical supply to the cooker and also to fit the extractor fan that will sit above it. We opted for a "dual fuel" cooker - gas hob and electric oven - and so we still need to arrange for a gas person to come out and connect the hob.


We finished all the painting, including the grey dining room wall and the radiator. (We had radiator paint mixed in the same shade as the wall, Valspar Empirical Grey.) My hope is that, once the furniture and pictures are back in the room, the radiator will kind of disappear.


And then the most exciting thing ever happened - the overhead light was fitted. 


Deliberately positioned low, it will hang over the table and gives off the softest light. No angles. I think it it one of the lovliest things I have ever seen or owned and it makes me smile every time I see it. 


The last job is the flooring, which we hope will be laid next week. Then, I can take off all the plastic layers, clean the room, wipe out the cupboards and drawers and, with the radio on, slowly potter about putting all our things in their new home. 

33 comments:

  1. It's getting there, slow and steady.
    Have a wonderful half term.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress! I'm glad you had a good run and I enjoyed seeing your hilltop view. It is great to see the advances made in your home projects. I was intrigued by your gas/electric stove...a type unfamiliar to me. You have made some lovely design choices in painting and lighting and I hope you enjoy your holiday as you settle into your newly decorated space. We have gloomy gray skies again today and I am fighting off a virus. Reading your post cheered me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your grey wall and it makes a lovely back ground to your beautiful light. I would smile too every time I saw it. Enjoy your pottering week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is all coming together and looking wonderful! I love the way the grey wall, work tops and cooker balance each other. Have a good half term - enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks amazing already!!! i love the light

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the kitchen is looking great and 'so' much bigger. Can't wait to see it all decorated, though I'm also looking forward to hearing about USING it. Thanks for the photo of the shire horse. They are my favourites. Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks incredible, love the look of of the white and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The light and the grey wall look amazing, like the panelling on the ceiling too. Great idea with the radiator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is looking fabulous. We opted for a dual fuel cooker too. I think my cakes used to be better with our old gas one, but don't know if that's the fact that it's an electric oven or because the old one was just better; you'll have to let me know how your cakes turn out. I love the new lampshade and the low position makes it stand out so beautifully against the grey wall. Enjoy Half Term. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lamp really looks beautiful, and I can picture you and your family gathered around the dining table in its soft light.
    Your kitchen is great already, and will be perfect for you once all your things are back in. I guess you'll enjoy that part most :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh getting so close to the good bit! And no more hole in the dining room floor I see, always a good thing. You're right, that light is a thing of beauty! Squee, I'm excited for you!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The grey wall, boarded ceiling and lamp look amazing together

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost there. Enjoy making it yours and have a lovely half term break. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks fab now and now all the work is nearly completed you get to do the fun bits. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you're nearly there and it is looking great. I like your ceiling and your lamp very much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My word, it looks fantastic! Light at the end of that there tunnel x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The end is in sight! It's lovely Gillian, you're all doing a great job on it. Wishing you and yours a wonderful half term. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks beautiful. Enjoy Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done on your run. The kitchen looks fab - love the wall colour. Have a good half term.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It really looks fantastic. Enjoy your family time.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks really great, Gillian. I am sure you'll be back in and cooking up a storm in no time. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are right, the light is stunning, and the kitchen well-organized and beautiful. Love the wall which is the same colour as the cooker! What a good idea! I can see this with pink peonies on the table, or perhaps just a bowl filled with alchemilla mollis, the lime will look stunning against that dark wall! I know you will enjoy "dressing" the room as indeed I would, too.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, nearly there! It's looking great already, I love that grey xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait to see the finished rooms! So lovely already, and you will have such fun layering the "pretty" on top of the beautifully calm and austere bones.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you are enjoying half term in your oh so nearly there looking kitchen and dining room! It's looking so exciting. We have a similar colour paint in our bathroom - rather unstylish-ly I refer to it as a school uniform grey - but it is such a lovely colour and lots of other colours look great with it... pinks, yellows. Now comes the fun part for you! Your light is looking dreamy against the grey...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful lamp - a Poul Henningsen by Louis Poulsen, I think?
    I love the detail with the radiator - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't wait to see how you outfit the kitchen. It's better than getting my own done up, because there's no hard work for me involved. Living vicariously can be such good fun, can't it?

    The house is looking lovely; I love the grey on the walls. Such a deep backdrop for whatever you choose to put on it. Enjoy half term x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh it's looking fabulous Gillian, a beautiful light fitting and I adore that grey. Not long now! Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looking as stunning as I'd expected. Looking forward to seeing the finishing touches, and I agree your light is beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope you are enjoying half term. We certainly are and I love the break from early morning pack ups! Those napkins are lovely. I haven't tried cross stitch on anything where the back can be seen. Is it just a case of weaving the threads through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have any tips on keeping the back of the work tidy. I try to work across in rows and not jump around too much, and keep the knots nice and neat, but beyond that I don't really give that much thought to the back of the work, sorry!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the reply and that's fine - I'll follow those rules and see how I do!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.