Thursday 5 May 2016

Kitchen Update 3

When I last wrote about the kitchen two weeks ago, the builders had left and we had an empty, freshly plastered room, ready to paint. We were really keen to get at least the kitchen half of the room painted before the units and worktops were fitted. 


We started with the "mist coat" (half water, half white emulsion), then gave all the walls a couple of coats of pure white paint. Previously we had painted the dining room an off-white colour, but didn't think this would work with the white kitchen cupboards. White is an easy choice for now and we can add more colour later.


Already we're getting a sense of what a bright room this will be, even without the glass window from the old kitchen door. 


The kitchen fitters arrived and the room started to take shape very quickly.


 The doors went on.


Then door handles, spotlights in the ceiling and under cupboard lighting. I know it looks really stark and cold at the moment but the flooring will really help soften all that white. 


This space between the cupboards below is where the cooker will go when it arrives next week.


The worktops have been measured and were fitted yesterday, although I haven't had a chance to take any decent photos yet. 


The dining room half of the room feels a lot less finished. The channel is still in the middle of the dining room floor, although the plumber has now sorted the radiator pipe issue. It now needs to be filled in with concrete then we have to wait a couple of weeks - at least - for the concrete to dry out before we can lay the floor. This is by far the most annoying thing about the whole project. We'll be lucky if we have flooring before June at this rate.


We chose Empirical Grey by Valspar on the one big wall in the dining room. It looks darker here than it actually is, but this is a bright room and it can take it and I think our dining chairs and new white lamp will look fabulous against it. 

Here it is drying after a first coat. It needs a second and the radiator needs painting too. 



I can imagine that it's really hard for you to tell how that grey is going to look just from this one photo. You need to see other colours against it so you have a point of reference. Trust me, it looks amazing. We chose a grey with slight brown tones, rather than blue, so it's very warm even though it's quite dark. I didn't have a moment's wobble with this colour - we just chose it, started painting it, and loved it. I like it when that happens. 

The dust in the house at the moment is spectacular - like, we leave footprints in it when we walk - but tomorrow I'm going to blitz the house before I go to work. The temporary kitchen is really depressing.  I miss cooking so badly. But when I look at the photos above I start to get a feel of how it's all going to look when it's finished and it's so exciting!

30 comments:

  1. It is going to be really great when it is all done because it is looking great already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! can't wait to see all finished. Be patient, it will be so worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's already looking good. I like the gray wall and I think your kitchen set is going to look fantastic with it. I look forward to seeing the flooring when it's laid. It's all coming together, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, exciting, it's all starting to come together. The grey wall is gorgeous, it's going to look perfect with your things against it. It must be such a pleasure to have kitchen cabinets and work surfaces again. Not long now! I remember the horror of the dust from when we had the loft conversion done. Somehow it was over the entire house. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful progress x such a dramatic colour. I wish I was that brave x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is looking totally fabulous Gillian. Well done on all your patience and hard work. We have built our new cabin last weekend so we are in the midst of painting too. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all looking fantastic; I can't wait to see it all finished. I envy you your colour sense - I can't remember the last time we picked a colour, went with it and it worked first time. We normally end up repainting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really looking forward to seeing it all finished. I just know it's going to look good, as it is your 'flair' for interior design that does it. Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's coming together so well. I love the dining room wall colour. Can't wait to see it with all the furniture back in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting and interesting to see the progress, and learn about the colors you are choosing and why. The lighting is lovely. I'm cheering you on as you cope with the dusty, pokey parts of the project.
    Thanks for posting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exciting indeed! I like the grey wall, it does not at all appear too dark. But then of course I like grey anyway, as you'll know from my own "Big Switch" pictures :-)
    All the white in your new kitchen will be softened anyway, as soon as you'll start putting your things back in. My Mum has a white kitchen... but I must admit she says "never again", for each and every finger print is instantly visible, and she's forever cleaning and wiping. But aren't we all forever cleaning and wiping our kitchens anyway?
    Really annoying about the dining room floor. I hope it will all happen rather sooner than later, but of course concrete simply does need its own time to dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I don't think I could have gone for that grey, but I trust you, I bet it will look amazing! The kitchen is coming together nicely. Getting there, slowly!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exciting, definitely! That grey wall is fabulous. Not long now. Have a good weekend. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kitchen looks lovely already! I'm sure that all the trouble and chaos and dirt will be worth it in the end!
    And that grey wall looks amazing! I love dark colors on the wall. Can't wait to see the finished room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a brave colour choice but I think it looks fantastic and the space and light of the room can definitely take it. Artwork always looks good on dark walls and in the evenings by lamplight and candlelight it's going to look spectacular. You are almost creating a yin yang room which is very interesting. Well done Gillian - you make me want to get my paint pot out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It will look wonderful when finished, Gillian. And that 'feature' wall ... well, you could paint it just about any colour against the white and it would look spectacular. I love that dark grey/slate colour, and it will be a lovely background for your pictures, lights, etc.
    We are currently decorating our bedroom - as you say, dust everywhere, and we're not pushing walls down!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's coming along well! I love your grey wall. I love the contrast it will provide. I keep trying to find a wall in our home to paint grey but I don't think we get enough light to really make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The grey looks wonderful and wish I could be so brave with colour. It is all coming together and although it must be frustrating at this stage, particularly with the channel in the floor, you will have many happy years to come in a beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The grey looks fabulous! Can't wait until the final reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Gillian,
    I'm enjoying the progress of your kitchen, and also admiring you and John immensely; you par don't muck about when it comes to a project! I've been talking about updating our living area for about two years. I can't work out if Marc is unwilling to spend the money, or help me do the work. I envy you a man with a sense of interiors and also an understanding that tastes change over time, and curtains and upholstery does not last forever.
    Have a lovely weekend. I can't wait to see what floor you've chosen!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is looking fantastic!! I love the beautiful clean lines of the cabinets. Good luck with the finish.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're getting there and the kitchen is beginning to take shape. It won't be long and you'll be looking back and thinking, what mess?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two of my favourite things - a big, transformative project and a new kitchen! Lucky you! Worth all the dust, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's going to be sooooo gorgeous! I love grey too, it will look amazing. X

    ReplyDelete
  25. So exciting to see the progress! I love white kitchens...so clean and fresh! The grey looks lovely... So much you can do with it! Thanks for all the trouble you take to post the pics as things happen.... So neat to see it all pull together!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's looking great so far, the white cupboards soul really lighten the room 😃

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's looking great so far, the white cupboards soul really lighten the room 😃

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooooh how exciting, it is looking fabulous!! Love that grey. We went for Valspar too in the nursery, a shade called Morning Song, it seems to be great quality paint. Hope the cooker is not delayed much longer, partly for your sanity, and partly because I want to see more pictures! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.